Author Topic: television?  (Read 724 times)

Offline appman

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
television?
« on: August 24, 2010, 08:51:30 PM »
We are eager to suggest films that we invest our hearts in, yet we are so passionate about our favorite television- wouldn't it be great for some of the most ridiculous, and greatest television to be riffed? Rifftrax is great,  but you have to admit that high production values can sort of distract us from the jokes and the film's absurdity. I can't help but imagine the insanity of seinfeld and always sunny in philadelphia to be accompanied with great riffs.  I could imagine dick van dyke show being riffed like a rifftrax short. There is alot of good material from the idiot box.

Doctor Who?

Re: television?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:16:13 PM »
Comedies don't get riffed and the riffs for Tv shows sold very poorly.  I can understand why.  it would take them a whole year to riff ever episode in a TV show boxset and yet if they don't you are stuck buying a whole boxset for one episode.  Sorry it's no going to happen.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 11:40:32 PM »
Comedies don't get riffed and the riffs for Tv shows sold very poorly.  I can understand why.  it would take them a whole year to riff ever episode in a TV show boxset and yet if they don't you are stuck buying a whole boxset for one episode.  Sorry it's no going to happen.

Maybe they just picked the wrong TV shows to do.

And most every DVD rental service rents TV shows.  Plus many libraries are starting to stock them.

Surprised that no one has found episodes of The Outer Limits, The Invaders or that syndicated War of the Worlds to iRiff.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 11:44:25 PM »
Well it has been about three years since they riffed the last Tv show so I don't see it happening.  Also if Heroes,Lost,and Gray's Anatimy didn't sell what will?

I don't see shows from the 60s or 80s selling better then recent hit shows that a lot of people may already own.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 01:52:51 AM »
Well it has been about three years since they riffed the last Tv show so I don't see it happening.  Also if Heroes,Lost,and Gray's Anatimy didn't sell what will?

I don't see shows from the 60s or 80s selling better then recent hit shows that a lot of people may already own.

There's no more reason to assume that people do own recent shows than there is to assume they don't own seasons of the older ones.

Personally, I think what the three shows they chose had in common was that they are "nighttime soaps" (even if two of the three are sci-fi/fantasy based) with rabid fan bases and people who were sick of hearing about them from the rabid fan bases.

Rabid to the point that they didn't care for the idea of hearing their shows knocked.  And those who avoided the shows like poison under normal circumstances could never get up enough interest to go to the trouble.  I know that's why I avoided Gray's Anatomy.

Shows like I suggested at least hold the possibility of cheesy sci-fi that they've never seen before or remember from childhood, a la an episode of MST3K.

I'd ask how that episode of The Incredible Hulk did - but since they offered it for free to start with we'll never know for sure how it did by comparison.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 06:58:48 AM »
New shows sell more copies on dvd,that is how i know more people own them.

Also getting the right disc number from a boxset is hard to do from either a Library or Netflix.  Some times it is even harder then getting the right cut of a movie like Coyote Ugly.

I really don't see it happening.

Offline appman

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 12:01:48 PM »
if it's a popular show..

Offline mikelesq

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 73
    • toastandrice.com
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 06:35:08 PM »
I think a TV miniseries might do better, since they're closed-ended, so you can buy/rent/netflix the whole story. 

I once thought of doing an iRiff of the original pair of V miniseries, except it seemed overwhelming.  I'd buy the box sets, though, to see Rifftrax have at the rubber lizard baby.

Offline sardeans1138

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 08:58:30 PM »
a miniseries like 5 days to midnight or The Triangle would be wonderful riffing fodder along with everything else on the sci-fi channel (I personally want a riff of Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction)

speaking of television Blind Justice and other short-lived programs, never going to happen but one can dream....