Author Topic: Dr. Who anyone?  (Read 220722 times)

Offline Jesse412

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
Re: Dr. Who anyone?
« Reply #2580 on: July 16, 2017, 12:23:41 PM »
The only thing I've seen Jodie Whittaker in is Broadchurch, which was created by Chris Chibnall, who is also the next show runner of Doctor Who. She gives a pretty decent dramatic performance in it and I'm curious to see how she will play the character.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #2581 on: July 16, 2017, 03:33:25 PM »
Really looking forward to the new Doctor.  This is something I've been waiting for a long time and the actress is a solid choice.  If you get a chance, check out Attack the Block.

Watch Broadchurch if you haven't.

My facebook feed is funny, 0 complaints, 6 posts about how others will be mad.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #2582 on: July 16, 2017, 04:50:14 PM »
Twitter and Youtube comments have been unsurprisingly predictable.  Not to mention a bunch of TL:DR post on a bunch of geek sites extolling why the Doctor should only be male, and using said verbosity and erudition to justify a pretty flimsy excuse for being chavuvinist. 

And why is anyone surprised by this?  They've been hinting at this for a few years now.  And if Missy Master didn't tip you off, you haven't been paying attention.

My only hope is that she plays The Doctor weird.  Like, properly gallifreyan weird.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • I'm a television man!
« Reply #2583 on: July 16, 2017, 05:02:31 PM »
Quote from: @hodgman
Any MRA legit whining over the "demasculinization" of the Doctor ignores that he's always been the foppiest fop who ever fopped.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2584 on: July 16, 2017, 05:59:19 PM »
I kind of want to read the stupid responses to this for a laugh, but I'd probably be more depressed by it so won't.

The doctor isn't even human, but for some reason has to be male?  Because it takes big muscles to point a screwdriver?

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #2585 on: July 16, 2017, 06:46:47 PM »
I kind of want to read the stupid responses to this for a laugh, but I'd probably be more depressed by it so won't.

The doctor isn't even human, but for some reason has to be male?  Because it takes big muscles to point a screwdriver?

That's a load of bullocks, or rather an alarming lack of bullocks, if we're being truthful.

Offline goflyblind

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #2586 on: July 16, 2017, 07:30:50 PM »

i made the mistake of reading some of the comments on the trailer video. :speechless:
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #2587 on: July 17, 2017, 03:32:04 PM »
you know all i feel is just a big sense of indifference out of all this..... is that normal?
Cervantes smiled Spain's chivalry away;
A single laugh demolished the right arm
Of his own country; — seldom since that day
Has Spain had heroes.

where did all the happy endings go?, where could all the good times be.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2588 on: July 17, 2017, 04:03:29 PM »
you know all i feel is just a big sense of indifference out of all this..... is that normal?

I've felt that way about all the new doctors, having not seen any of their work beforehand, so this one is no different.  I'm more interested in the changes behind the camera.

And it now looks unlikely the spinoff show Class will get a second season.  I only watched the first episode and wasn't that impressed, looks like it got low ratings in both the UK and USA.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #2589 on: July 17, 2017, 06:09:34 PM »
I'm looking forward to the change.  But I'm still not sure how they can create so many shows making shopping and make-up into interesting Sci-Fi.  ;D :P

[But seriously folks, if you look back in this thread, before Capaldi was announced I was saying I thought that Naomi Scott would have been a good choice for the next Doctor.  (She has now been the pink Ranger in the Power Rangers film, and will be princess Jasmine in the Disney live-action remake of Aladdin.)  So I was already on the bandwagon with a female doctor before even Missy showed up.]

Having now seen Jodie Whittaker in Attack the Block [thanks for the suggestion Johnny Unusual] (Broadchurch isn't my thing), I think she'll be fine, with something that has been important to me with every Doctor since my first (Eccleston): the Doctor has to have an interestingly-emoting/expressive face - Whittaker has one.  But as MartyS (Gromit) said, it is even more important who is behind the camera (and word processor) that I think will make the most difference.  With Broadchurch, which I have heard many raves about, behind him, I think that will make for interesting stories (possibly with a bit more consistency than Moffat has managed during his tenure).

I'm curious, was there any mention of gender-switching during regeneration in the 'classic' Doctor Who (before the 2005 reboot)?  And even in the post-Time-War Doctor Who I don't recall it being mentioned until Moffatt took control, personally.  Just wondering a bit if this is old cannon or new.  It would be nice to know they had the foresight and open-mindedness for this to be part of the mythology from early on.

I also thought something like Ortega about the gender-swap, but a little different.  My take on it was that The Master being presented as Missy was a way of providing a smoother transition and increased acceptance of the idea when The Doctor did so, because Moffat felt it was (rightly) inevitable.  As always, those whose so-called 'thinking' leans toward misogyny and chauvinism won't care that gender-swapping is cannon and that there is no basis (or need) for The Doctor to always be male.  [I suspect those who accept the new female Doctor vs those who don't in the U.S. would likely split along voting lines in the last election here.]

There is something that bothers me a bit.  I believe, for the last two The New Doctor announcements (Smith and Capaldi), there were hour-long big honkin' reveal shows when the torch was passed.  I was a bit pissed with this that she gets a 60-second teaser commercial after Wimbledon tennis finals.  To me that is a potential sign of disrespect that I hope doesn't carry over to the show.  [Though in a country that has a sitting Queen, and had a female Prime Minister for so long, I would hope they'd be over that gender shit.]  Did anyone possibly read if the 60 second versus 60 minute reveal was because they'd slashed Doctor Who's budget so severely a few years back so they just couldn't afford the extravaganza?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:31:01 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #2590 on: July 17, 2017, 06:55:53 PM »
Found an answer to one of my own questions.  On IMDB's Jodie Whittaker page, this was in the detail section:
Although much was made of her casting as the first woman to play the Doctor, the prospect of a female Doctor had been mooted since 1980, when the Fourth Doctor, Tom Baker, left the role and wished his successor the best "whoever he or she may be".
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2591 on: July 17, 2017, 07:24:59 PM »
Did anyone possibly read if the 60 second versus 60 minute reveal was because they'd slashed Doctor Who's budget so severely a few years back so they just couldn't afford the extravaganza?

The BBC's budget in general was slashed a few years back, so that might be the reason.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #2592 on: July 17, 2017, 09:40:35 PM »
Did anyone possibly read if the 60 second versus 60 minute reveal was because they'd slashed Doctor Who's budget so severely a few years back so they just couldn't afford the extravaganza?

The BBC's budget in general was slashed a few years back, so that might be the reason.

I kinda' wondered... so I can let go of that irritation and concern about sexism in the BBC around this show.  Given their use of female scientists in their science shows, I couldn't imagine it, but that's a different 'wing' from the entertainment part of the BBC.  Plus - granted it was over 50 years ago - I still recall the info on Verity Lambert getting tons of shit, largely because she was female... possibly that made my immediate response a bit more wary (though over half-a-century out of date ;) ).

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2593 on: July 18, 2017, 07:25:09 AM »
The thing that worries me about Chris Chibnall taking over, he wrote some episodes of Dr. Who and Torchwood, and looking at the list there are only a couple I liked.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #2594 on: July 19, 2017, 03:15:10 PM »
The thing that worries me about Chris Chibnall taking over, he wrote some episodes of Dr. Who and Torchwood, and looking at the list there are only a couple I liked.

I'm hoping it is just a matter of not being able to do quite what he wanted while playing in someone else's sandbox.  With this now his sandbox, he can craft the overall direction as he sees fit.  With Broadchurch as good as I've heard it was, possibly when left completely to his own devices, he can do interesting things with Dr Who.  ...Again, at least that's my hope.