login

Author Topic: Dr. Who anyone?  (Read 299211 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3093
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Dr. Who anyone?
« Reply #2700 on: August 02, 2019, 11:21:51 AM »
Doctor Who will now stream exclusively on the new HBO service, including new episodes after they air on BBC America.

If this kills being able to buy the episodes on Amazon (or other sites), then I guess I'm done with seeing any new Doctor Who.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2701 on: January 02, 2020, 08:05:52 AM »
Looks like that deal with HBO was not exclusive, I bought the season pass on Amazon just like I always do.

I really enjoyed the first episode, the surprise ending was a complete surprise.  This is the first Dr Who episode in a long time that I want to watch again right away.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1097
« Reply #2702 on: January 02, 2020, 10:55:30 AM »
This was a really good episode. It had me interested and hooked from moment one, something that was lacking from much of last season.
"Russoguru is a naive jackass"

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2703 on: January 21, 2020, 04:56:47 PM »
Really enjoyed Tesla's Night Of Terror, actually I've enjoyed all of them so far this season, Orphan 55 seems to be getting terrible reviews but I thought it was perfectly fine.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7358
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #2704 on: January 27, 2020, 12:03:57 AM »
this week's episode:
 :o  ;D

:o :o :o
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5043
« Reply #2705 on: January 29, 2020, 05:21:00 PM »
Hmmm... it appears that the Avengers collecting all the Infinity Stones and mucking with reality caused ripples with alternate universes colliding in other franchises!
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7358
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #2706 on: March 02, 2020, 07:11:34 AM »
that was interesting. i liked it, but there were some confusing bits...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 08:46:17 AM by goflyblind »
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5043
« Reply #2707 on: March 02, 2020, 08:45:34 PM »

This is, actually, the first Chibnall-led Doctor episode that I actually was excited and/or fascinated watching.  All others have been more like intellectual exercises and child-teaching episodes (everything from race relations to plastics in the environment).  This is the first actual contribution to the Doctor's mythology, and what a doozy it was!

Personally, I find the return (and return . . .  and return . . .  and return . . .) of the Cybermen and the Daleks to be boring as shit (and now, The Master [though this is the first time I really felt the Master was creepy and threatening, and disturbed, not just disturbed]).  There have been so many "the world is going to end" moments with each of them, that there is no story-telling tension: of COURSE the Doctor is going to take care of them somehow and at some point, because there's never NOT been a time where s/he hasn't!  But with less familiar or new threats, that track record isn't present, so the investment is present.

All of what you posed are very good questions.  And the first one I'd thought of also.  My thoughts on what you wrote:

To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 222
« Reply #2708 on: March 07, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 11:06:06 AM by stethacantus »

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1185
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #2709 on: March 07, 2020, 05:37:03 PM »
edit: why does the doctor have the same physiology (two hearts) as the shobogan?

This is the one that bugged me. The only explanation I can see is that she IS a Time Lord, maybe sent back from some future or dimension, to give the Time Lords regeneration.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 36
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #2710 on: March 08, 2020, 04:13:59 PM »
edit: why does the doctor have the same physiology (two hearts) as the shobogan?

This is the one that bugged me. The only explanation I can see is that she IS a Time Lord, maybe sent back from some future or dimension, to give the Time Lords regeneration.

The Boot-Strap paradox, nice....

From the reviews i've read around, they vary from "abomination" to "meh", i think the reveal opens up the story telling in a cool way

Anyway, inane rambling aside, i'm intrigued on future stories, and i hope the next showrunner doesn't try and chicken out and try to retcon it away.

Also