login

Author Topic: Dr. Who anyone?  (Read 273711 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 543
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: Dr. Who anyone?
« Reply #2685 on: December 12, 2018, 05:08:58 PM »
Evaluating this whole season... I liked it alright. That being said I do think it is below average compared to most of the seasons that came before. That has nothing to do with Jodie as the new Doctor though. I think with the absence of some of the Doctor's classic villains like the Daleks, the Cybermen, the Weeping angels and so on makes the show feel a little less magical. It just felt a little too much like a drama and not enough like a science fiction show a lot of the time. Don't get me wrong, being dramatic is great and everything but it can't fill certain holes that this season has had. Talking frog though? That was a step in the right direction. No, I'm serious.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2617
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2686 on: December 12, 2018, 05:16:17 PM »
It just felt a little too much like a drama and not enough like a science fiction show a lot of the time.

Yes, too much drama and not enough fun science fiction.

Another downside to going into the recent past on Earth so much, those episodes were good but I can watch a documentary if I want that type of info, it's not really what I'm wanting from Dr. Who.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5121
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2687 on: December 12, 2018, 05:42:28 PM »
I do appreciate that there's a quasi-return to the historicals.  In both Rosa and Demons of the Punjab there are science fiction trappings (an evil time traveller, aliens respectively) but really the focus is on the dangers of that point in history itself, which proves very effective.  Meanwhile, some of the purely sci-fi episodes (the Tsuranga Conundrum, the Ghost Monument) seems a little weak (Kerblam! was fun, though).  I also feel like putting some of the big villains and aspects of the shows mythos was a good move.  It will be a bigger deal when they come back, I expect, and it allows us to focus on the human aspect of the show before slowly reintroducing the old standbys.

The other thing is a problem I feel has long dogged Doctor Who: when they try to make the character a pacifist.  Not because I have anything against pacifism.  Quite the opposite.  But that struggle never quite rings true when it comes up in this series as it often hasn't when they've tried it before.  I want them to keep at it, but I just hope they do it better.  The epiphany Graham has at the end of the season doesn't feel like it came from within or how he reacts to events, but just because it's the time in the script for him to change his mind.  That said, it feels slightly less hypocritical than it has in past stories, though I think it is easy to question some of the Doctor's ethical decisions this season (I don't think letting spiders get trapped in a box to starve to death is humane).

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2688 on: December 12, 2018, 06:20:37 PM »
 Maybe that is it, when they did do science fiction stuff it did seam weak.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #2689 on: December 13, 2018, 07:14:05 PM »
I'll tell you one episode that really got me very emotional was season six's "The Girl who waited". If you remember the story of Amy Pond and the circumstances around how she knows the doctor I won't spoil it, but the title does reference that... particular episode of Amy's life. Anyway, in this episode, they balance the sci-fi and drama SO well in this episode that it's unbelievable. Basically, Amy gets separated from The Doctor and Rory and Amy ends up in a time stream that moves much faster than the one the Doctor and Rory are in. Again, I'm not going to spoil things. I will say that in the time The Doctor and Rory try to rescue Amy... she ages decades. In the end, The Doctor and Rory have a plan, but the outcome and the final minutes of this episode are absolutely heart-wrenching and heart-breaking. I don't really give a damn what bad things people had to say about Steve Moffat, Russell T. Davies or whoever... the show(for me anyway) was operating and firing on all cylinders very damn well from seasons 1-10.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2690 on: December 15, 2018, 06:35:55 AM »
Moffat was very good at balancing humor and drama, just look at Coupling, Sherlock, and Doctor Who.

Chibnall is good at drama and mystery, but is lacking in the humor aspect.  I watched all of Broadchurch because of the drama and mystery, but it was not fun at all and I doubt I'll ever rewatch it. 

Doctor Who did have fun aspects this season, but was lacking in something, I have not had the urge to re-watch any of the episodes.  That being said I also haven't re-watched the previous season, where I have re-watched all the ones before that many times (5 and 6 too many times), so Moffat was losing something at the end of his run.

Hope they get some new writers in for next season, maybe go find some witty comedy writers to bring back the whimsy.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2691 on: January 02, 2019, 02:19:59 PM »
I thought the new years special was pretty good, nothing spectacular but pretty good. 

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #2692 on: January 02, 2019, 03:16:58 PM »
It was good, and I liked the back story about where this Dalek came from. Reminded me of something they might have done in prior seasons. I'm bummed out though that there will be no more Who until 2020.  :(

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 726
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2693 on: January 07, 2019, 08:08:14 PM »
I made it as far as the Salem Witch Hunt episode before I lost interest. Should I press on? I really like Jodie Whitaker as the Doctor, and I like the companions... but I really dislike the direction the writing and show running has taken. It seems overly preachy, and I loathe this term but, very SJW. I'm all for a female Doctor. I thought Missy was a fantastic idea. But I despised Bill. We get it, you're a Black Lesbian, with a male name.

I liked the episode with the hospital ship and Kerblam! I hated the Donald Trump episode. Most of the others I could give or take. I definitely agree there's too little emphasis on sci-fi, and too much on recent Earth history. And mostly American history, which seems strange for a British show.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2694 on: January 07, 2019, 10:25:52 PM »
I made it as far as the Salem Witch Hunt episode before I lost interest. Should I press on? I really like Jodie Whitaker as the Doctor, and I like the companions... but I really dislike the direction the writing and show running has taken. It seems overly preachy, and I loathe this term but, very SJW. I'm all for a female Doctor. I thought Missy was a fantastic idea. But I despised Bill. We get it, you're a Black Lesbian, with a male name.

I liked the episode with the hospital ship and Kerblam! I hated the Donald Trump episode. Most of the others I could give or take. I definitely agree there's too little emphasis on sci-fi, and too much on recent Earth history. And mostly American history, which seems strange for a British show.

Well, you've only got 2 more to go (3 if you count the New Years special).

I'd say the preachyness of the last 3 is far less, that alone makes them more watchable.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 726
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2695 on: January 09, 2019, 02:34:37 AM »

Well, you've only got 2 more to go (3 if you count the New Years special).

I'd say the preachyness of the last 3 is far less, that alone makes them more watchable.

Okay, I'll give it another shot.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2696 on: January 09, 2019, 03:32:51 PM »
The New Year's special was OK.  It's another episode where if you are into the character drama more than the science fiction big ideas, you'll do fine.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4632
« Reply #2697 on: June 07, 2019, 06:08:48 PM »
Well, a bit pissed here.

I just watched the Blu-rays of season 11 (on sale incredibly briefly on Amazon for $19.99).  While I enjoyed the season a bit better than I had when it was actively airing (partly because my anticipation of the extremes of FUN that prior seasons provided were significantly attenuated), there was something that pissed me off.

With ALL previous seasons of Doctor Who, the holiday special was included as the end of the season on Blu (except the second holiday ep in season 10, which I figured would carry over to the s11 Blus, since it aired six months after the rest of s10, and 'The Return of Doctor Mysterio' WAS on the s10 discs).

But there were NO holiday specials AT ALL on the s11 discs.

So, with the last Capaldi/1st Whitaker ep 'Twice Upon a Time', and the last s11 ep 'Resolution' not being on any season discs, that makes this season not ONLY the grossly overpriced $30-60 (depending on when you buy it) for 10 episodes, but it ALSO means that to have the FULL season, one needs to spend an additional $35-45 for the two holiday 'bookends' for the season.

$65-105 for a fucking full season of ANY show is outrageous!  For one with a total (with the two bookending holiday specials) of only 12 episodes?  That's bullshit!  If this is how they plan to present the Blu-rays in the future, I'm done buying them.

[EDIT #2: initially typed "s10" and "s11", but thought I was mistaken, so changed them to "s11" and "s12".  Then MartyS said I was correct with my initial numbers (been a VERY bad week for me!), so changed them back.]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 06:18:15 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2698 on: June 07, 2019, 07:08:04 PM »
You had it correct the first time, the latest season is 11, last Capaldi season was 10.  Series 12 is coming in 2020.

So this is the rare time when getting the season pass on Amazon streaming was cheaper than getting it on Blu-ray.

Last Blu-Ray I got for the show was Day Of The Doctor, I bought season passes for everything since but it just hasn't been good enough to spend extra to have it on disc.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2699 on: August 02, 2019, 10:24:51 AM »
Doctor Who will now stream exclusively on the new HBO service, including new episodes after they air on BBC America.