Author Topic: Dr. Who anyone?  (Read 275250 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2641
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Dr. Who anyone?
« Reply #2670 on: November 27, 2018, 06:15:16 PM »
Overall I don't think I like the longer format, almost all of the episodes so far I've come away thinking that 80% was fantastic, and 10% sucked (remainder being average).  Of course I guess there is a chance that ratio could be worse with shorter episodes, if the stuff I'm hating was the stuff they really wanted to show. 

Not sure what it is, might be that they do seem to be breaking the TV/film rule of either talk about something or show it, don't do both, they have been talking a lot about stuff that we can see for ourselves.

Makes me wish Moffat (in season 5 form) could write for this cast, I'd love to see this cast take on a story like The Beast Below.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #2671 on: November 27, 2018, 07:56:48 PM »
I think what's dragging the show down are the companions, with three of them requiring a dramatic purpose and screen time they just take a little too much away from the Doctor IMHO. That being said though, I'm still enjoying the show quite a bit.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 733
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2672 on: November 29, 2018, 09:15:20 AM »
I think Jodie Whitaker is a great Doctor, but Chris Chibnall is a terrible showrunner. The writing this season is really bringing the show down. I too wish Steven Moffat would come back.

There's already rumors that both Whitaker and Chibnall plan on leaving the show after season 12.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2673 on: November 29, 2018, 09:23:59 AM »
I think Jodie Whitaker is a great Doctor, but Chris Chibnall is a terrible showrunner. The writing this season is really bringing the show down. I too wish Steven Moffat would come back.

There's already rumors that both Whitaker and Chibnall plan on leaving the show after season 12.

I wouldn't mind Chibnall going but hope Whitaker stays on.

After thinking about it some more I think what I really dislike are the "you see Timmy" moments, and that has to be coming from Chibnall.  Dr Who shouldn't be bonk on the head preachy.  The stuff around those moments has been very enjoyable.  With maybe 10 minutes edited out of each episode this season would be fantastic.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4467
« Reply #2674 on: November 29, 2018, 09:27:02 AM »
I thought people hated Moffatt as showrunner.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #2675 on: November 29, 2018, 01:21:11 PM »
I thought people hated Moffatt as showrunner.
I know I've said this before but I loved Moffat as both a writer and showrunner. Sure, his run had some bumpy spots, but I absolutely LOVE seasons 5, 6, 7, 9 and 10.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2676 on: November 29, 2018, 04:52:15 PM »
I really like Moffatt but it's pretty refreshing to have a new voice.  I think the new season has been mostly solid.  I appreciate that episodes like Rosa and Demons of the Punjab, despite sci-fi elements, harken back to the historicals of the first few seasons where the biggest threats to the characters come from the setting itself.  "Rosa" went a little too broad with being uplifting (I REALLY didn't need that inspirational ballad that ends the episode) but it really sold that being back in that era was VERY dangerous for certain people, especially those who don't know "the rules" designed to dehumanize them.  It seems that a recurring theme of the season is that human failing is the main threat with aliens taking the number two slot.  When aliens do show up as threats, some of them are kind of lame (I liked "the Witchfinders" but when it turned out the mud-things were generic evil conquerors, it became far less interesting).

I think it is a smart season, for the most part, but feels like it is lacking a little special something.  I kind of hope Chibnal stays on because then he can find what he wants to do as showrunner.  And I REALLY want Jodie to stay on.

I do kind of agree with Marty when the morality is a little on the nose at times and has to be explicitly stated by characters but otherwise a solid season with only one weak episode (Arachnids in the UK, which is a shame, because I like that title).

The next episode looks like a "cabin in the woods" story, which I think sounds fun.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #2677 on: December 02, 2018, 05:39:54 PM »
Hmmmm... anyone ever hear of a band named reyalS?  ;)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2678 on: December 04, 2018, 09:05:39 AM »
Hmmmm... anyone ever hear of a band named reyalS?  ;)

I'm pretty sure Lorde was singing about them.

Last episode was pretty strong.  It's a story I've seen done before but it earns it's poignancy and I like the way the message from the beginning pays off after the climax.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2679 on: December 04, 2018, 10:47:31 AM »
Last episode was pretty strong.  It's a story I've seen done before but it earns it's poignancy and I like the way the message from the beginning pays off after the climax.

Yes, this one was the first one that didn't have any parts I didn't like, although I would say it dragged in a few parts (way too much time spent in the cave/tunnel thing), so I guess I'm still thinking the longer episodes have hurt more than helped.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2680 on: December 10, 2018, 08:07:47 PM »
 I liked the season finale, I had seen some articles posted with titles saying most people didn't like it but didn't read them, not going to bother now, I think it was the first episode all season I liked 100% of it, and it didn't seem too long.

I did read that the new years episode will be it for more than a year, so no Dr Who at all in 2019, darn BBC, why do you make us wait so darn long between seasons.

I do hope they see the longer episodes as an experiment that didn't quite work, and go back to regular length episodes and a normal number of episodes, hopefully it will force better writing and editing.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4641
« Reply #2681 on: December 11, 2018, 03:46:43 AM »
I don't get the 'extended' nature.  Every one I've seen this season has been around 49 minutes of actual episode length, which doesn't seem terribly different from usual (maybe 3-5 minutes more, tops).  And they truncate the season because of that?

And you're saying it'll be over a year before more episodes, when we waited so long to get just a hair over eight hours for the season (plus whatever the New Year special is)?

Seriously, WTF?
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2682 on: December 11, 2018, 05:27:06 AM »
 This season has been about 6 to 7 minutes longer per episode, so yes, this season was still short on time, would have been 11.5 episodes in previous years.  Previous years we would get 12 and usually the start or end was a longer episode.

Just shows how tricky shows and movies are to edit well, a few minutes here and there can alter the experience quite a lot.

I'm guessing wildly but I wonder if the BBC was the one pushing for fewer episodes and making each one a few minutes longer was the compromise.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2683 on: December 12, 2018, 03:33:52 PM »
I found the finale to be a bit weak.  It doesn't help that I really didn't care much about the villain the first time around.  Also, I felt the resolution to Graham's story felt little hollow.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2684 on: December 12, 2018, 03:49:20 PM »

Were any of the antagonists this season really up to the level the Doctor usually faces? 

Another failing of the new show runner?