login

Author Topic: Is the gritty cop show making a come back?  (Read 554 times)

Doctor Who?

Is the gritty cop show making a come back?
« on: August 21, 2010, 06:50:37 PM »
I have been seeing adds for the new shows coming this season on CBS and ABC and each of them seems to have at least two new gritty street level cop shows this season.  It's been a long time since that type of show was on TV and quite frankly I am not sure network TV can do it better then cable.  Still I will be checking them out to see if they are any good. 

Anyone have any idea why we are getting so many of these types of shows this season.  I thought CSI and NCIS and shifted thnetwork cop show in the direction of over the top and action and everything being glossy and that sort of thing but now all of the sudden we have four show that look like they are going for an older style on two networks?  Has CSI had a dip in the ratings in the past year or something?

I wonder if any of these shows will make it past six episodes.

UncleDes

Re: Is the gritty cop show making a come back?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 08:24:24 PM »
Not with shite like Rizzoli and ("Bones Lite") Isles grabbing eyeballs by the bucketload.

Des

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 09:38:38 PM »
My guess it that it has something to do with the decline of  weird serialized dramas. Ever since the success of Lost  the networks have been looking to duplicate it with a ton of sci-fi related serialized stuff (the nine, Daybreak, Journeyman, Invasion, V, Flashforward and many others I can't recall at the moment).  Pretty much every one of them have fallen flat on their face.  Now I believe it's time for the pendulum to swing the other way.  Gritty cop dramas that don't leave you baffled if you happen to miss an episode are about as far as you can get from the sci-fi serialized thing. 

Doctor Who?

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:26:05 AM »
That's an interesting theory and it may well be right. 

Whatever the reason I hope at least one of these shows is worth watching.  I have missed the gritty cop show since NYPD Blue left the air.