Author Topic: READY PLAYER ONE  (Read 905 times)

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 339
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
READY PLAYER ONE
« on: September 01, 2018, 11:31:23 PM »
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but this seems like such a slamdunk, hands-down, must-happen riff. I *loved* Mike and Conor's podcast 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back, and it just seems like it should happen. Maybe a reference to 139 Minutes We'll Never Get Back?  :D

Since it's out on home video now and it hasn't been riffed yet, my hopes are getting slimmer. Anyone know if RT has any plans?

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3082
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: READY PLAYER ONE
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 01:12:17 PM »
You're in luck! That was one of the stretch goals in the last Kickstarter if there were at least 7,250 backers, and there were. Usually they get the stretch goals out by the end of the year, so with luck we'll be hearing it riffed in just a month or 3.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 01:24:14 PM »
You're in luck! That was one of the stretch goals in the last Kickstarter if there were at least 7,250 backers, and there were. Usually they get the stretch goals out by the end of the year, so with luck we'll be hearing it riffed in just a month or 3.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 05:35:51 PM »
The book became kind of a guilty pleasure for me (and the audio book in particular was my "insomnia book" for nearly a year). I also loved 372 pages well never get back.

I actually think the movie improved on the book in almost every way, but the riff will still be welcome.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 09:45:42 PM »
The book became kind of a guilty pleasure for me (and the audio book in particular was my "insomnia book" for nearly a year). I also loved 372 pages well never get back.

I actually think the movie improved on the book in almost every way, but the riff will still be welcome.
The book felt so slapped together that I was really looking forward to the movie because I knew the screenwriter(s) would flesh out things like character and themes. The book, which I thought was a lot of fun to read, had really one dimensional characters. And as far as themes go, I don't think there were any... except... maybe... friends are good...? So, yeah, the book was fun, but the movie really capitalized on what the book was trying to throw down imo.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 12:38:50 PM »

The book felt so slapped together that I was really looking forward to the movie because I knew the screenwriter(s) would flesh out things like character and themes. The book, which I thought was a lot of fun to read, had really one dimensional characters. And as far as themes go, I don't think there were any... except... maybe... friends are good...? So, yeah, the book was fun, but the movie really capitalized on what the book was trying to throw down imo.

Exactly. Parzival's character was annoying on so many levels in the book, and almost everyone else was a stereotype of some sort in the book. Most of what was fun were the constant references and puzzles for the egg hunt.

If I can think of one thing the movie didn't do as well, it was how obvious the reveal for Aech was as soon as you heard his voice.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 246
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 09:32:55 PM »
Didn't read the book and after having seen the movie I have zero desire to read it.
My take on the movie was that it was like an Adam Sandler movie if Steven Spielberg decided he wanted to direct an Adam Sandler movie but then fired Adam Sandler before filming started.
Wish I would have waited for the riff before watching it.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 01:14:47 AM »
To add another note, it was mentioned by Conor (I think?) that RP1 should be available in October. So, next week or two if that holds.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 02:31:18 PM »
This Friday, according to the latest Drip!

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 01:16:20 PM »

Offline WallyWaffles

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 03:45:48 PM »
Didn't read the book and after having seen the movie I have zero desire to read it.
Wish I would have waited for the riff before watching it.
My sister-in-law lent me her copy of the book when it was first in paperback because she thought I'd appreciate all the '80s, gaming, and computer references, but I wasn't impressed; it just felt overall very simple minded and the solutions came too easily.  What's worse, and I understand the author was trying to convey how in real-world cyberspace (is that an oxymoron?) a lot of people's usernames are stupid-looking leet-speak or serialized because the wanted name was already taken, but to actually spell names like "Artemis" in the dialog with a 3 substituting the E?  My brain rebelled and I had to read it as "Art-three-mis."

When I saw the movie trailer, I thought, "Wow, that's a lot of franchise licensing!"

I have zero interest to see the film, except with the riff.
~ Region locking is EVIL!  Hack your DVD-player today! ~

Offline WallyWaffles

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 03:50:20 PM »
There's so much rubbish coming out of Hollywood, so many movies I wouldn't bother with if it weren't for RiffTrax, the Hollywood studios should be sending royalty checks to RiffTrax for the economic stimulus it provides.
~ Region locking is EVIL!  Hack your DVD-player today! ~