login

Author Topic: I think the simpsons has had the most noticable decline of any television show  (Read 11646 times)

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
Simpsons has emulation disease. They try to emulate Family Guy, The Daily Show, and anything else to make it seem hip.

They need to take the advice that Mitch Hedberg gave to the turkeys:
"Someone needs to tell the turkey: Man, just be yourself. I already like you, little brother. You do not need to emulate the other animals."

Offline homerjayla

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • Rich in heady goodness!
I used watch The Simpsons weekly when I was about 4 or 5 years old back in 1990. Then in 2002 I stopped watching it because I saw how unfunny and shitty the shows where getting. I would have stopped sooner but I was kinda internet pals with someone who worked on the show.

I think the down fall started about season 9 or 10ish and it got worse after that. I still like the old episodes and season 4 was the best.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 01:45:27 PM by homerjayla »
Global warming, where?

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • *Platypus Sound*
How about some more hilarity from Japander.com?
http://japander.com/japander/simpson.htm

Offline MrCinatit

• Blue Beer Drinker
I've watched the show since it was on Ullman, following through its ups and downs. Yeah, it does seem to be on a bit of a downslide - but that does not mean I will stop watching it. It has become almost a habit which I cannot break.
And though I do agree it is on a downslide, when the show is finally cancelled, it will feel as though I am losing a very old friend.
Whisper words of wisdom.
Everytime you hear an explosion in space, a kitten dies. Won't you think of the kittens?

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
when the show is finally cancelled, it will feel as though I am losing a very old friend.

unless you know something I don't, this show will never be cancelled. The only obstacle is keeping the voice actors happy. Money wont be a problem because the actors could demand Derek Jeter money and they would get it, the show makes fox billions of dollars.

Offline MrCinatit

• Blue Beer Drinker
when the show is finally cancelled, it will feel as though I am losing a very old friend.
unless you know something I don't, this show will never be cancelled. The only obstacle is keeping the voice actors happy. Money wont be a problem because the actors could demand Derek Jeter money and they would get it, the show makes fox billions of dollars.

Not saying it will happen soon - in fact, the actors signed a long-term contract if I recall correctly.
But it, like everything, will eventually come to an end. Even if it is 20 years from now, I will have that same feeling.
Whisper words of wisdom.
Everytime you hear an explosion in space, a kitten dies. Won't you think of the kittens?

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
The only obstacle is keeping the voice actors happy.

...and alive!!  I would bet if any one of the main voice actors were to die they would probably stop. I know I wouldn't watch a Simpsons with someone else doing the voice of Homer or any of the main characters.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
The only obstacle is keeping the voice actors happy.

...and alive!!  I would bet if any one of the main voice actors were to die they would probably stop. I know I wouldn't watch a Simpsons with someone else doing the voice of Homer or any of the main characters.

yes, yes I hope they live long enough for season 50... not likely though

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3141
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Well there will, someday, come a time when Bart Simpson starts sounding more like Granny from the Tweety cartoons. :^)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
i used to think that if it just made it past gunsmoke i would be happy.  Then yesterday i learned Dr. who has been on a whopping 26 seasons.  It now must run 27 in my opinion.  I would prefer 42 seasons that would be cool :)

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • *Platypus Sound*
i used to think that if it just made it past gunsmoke i would be happy.  Then yesterday i learned Dr. who has been on a whopping 26 seasons.  It now must run 27 in my opinion.  I would prefer 42 seasons that would be cool :)
Keep in mind, thought they went through what 7, 8 'Doctors'?  It might not be as easy to find suitable replacements if the need should arise.  Look what happened to Sealab 2021...

• Compsognathus
true, thats very true, but if it can just hold out 8 more years, then BOOM new king of length. 

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner

I think the Simpsons still has its moments. I always keep in mind that the world is a very different place now than it was around season 3 or so. Think about it. Anyone born the year Simpsons debuted is getting ready to go into college now (which is a sobering thought). Shows have to evolve to keep up with the times. Humor seems to be much more rapid fire and applies to what's happening in our society more these days. If the Simpsons was still utilizing the same writing style it used in its "heyday", it would be even more worse off than it is now.

I'm not saying it's better off now than it was then, but I believe the show today is the result of the changes its had to go through to remain on the air and still have some entertainment value. It's definatly facing network challenges (ie: rival shows, the ratings circus, ect) that didn't exist as predominatly back in its heyday. I think it's a natural evolution type of thing. Tv shows change, writers change, everything changes.

• Compsognathus
maybe but after watching some of the older seasons, you see REAL emotion for the charectars.  Topical stuff doesnt make you care quite as much. 

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
maybe but after watching some of the older seasons, you see REAL emotion for the charectars.  Topical stuff doesnt make you care quite as much. 

Maybe not, but it's still a sign of the times. Maybe it's more popular not to care as much.

As a sidenote, anyone else notice that they're doing a lot more with Moe than in previous seasons?