Author Topic: RIP Harvey Pekar  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
RIP Harvey Pekar
« on: July 12, 2010, 08:52:15 AM »

Famed Cleveland Comic Book Writer Harvey Pekar Dies

Staff Writer

11:08 AM EDT, July 12, 2010

CLEVELAND HTS., Ohio -- Famed underground comic writer Harvey Pekar was found dead in his Cleveland Heights home on Monday morning, according to officials with the Cuyahoga County Coroners Office.

Spokesperson Powell Caesar tells Fox 8 News Pekar, 70, was discovered by his wife, Joyce, shortly before 1:00 a.m. The coroner's office says it does not appear that foul play or trauma were involved in Pekar's death. Pekar had been suffering from prostate cancer, asthma, high blood pressure and depression.

The Cleveland born artist and writer was best known for his autobiographical American Splendor series, which he began publishing in 1976, chronicle his grousing about work, money and the monotony of life.

The series inspired a 2003 critically acclaimed film starting actor Paul Giamatti.

An autopsy to determine the cause of death is pending.

I mostly became aware of Pekar through his appearances on Letterman, back in the NBC days.  I'm sorry to hear that he's passed on.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:02:12 PM by Compound »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5085
  • Mr. Robot
Re: RIP Harvey Pikar
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 09:44:13 AM »
That is a crying shame.  He was still releasing quality storytelling his own way and managed to make mundane anecdotes compelling reading.  I was always more of a super-hero reader but at the same time I liked trying out new things and American Splendor was always something special.  A lot of people see him as a curmudgeon but if they did, they missed the point.  Yes he could often be pessimistic and was generally depressed but he was also a realist, never wallowed in melancholy (like so many other independent creators) and never afraid to question things, even his own behaviour and motivation.

At the risk of being morbid and inappropriate, but I wouldn't be surprised if this spurred DC into releasing oversized prestige collections of Splendor, which might help support his wife and child (granted I think she's twenty now, but that's not the point).

If you want to get into his stuff, I recommend the Quitter.  It's a bit different stylistically than American Splendor, despite also being about his life, but it's a powerful look at Pekar's humble beginnings (not to say that things got any less humble for him.)

MontyServo

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:01:22 PM »
American Splendor was a fantastic movie.  I'm sad to hear about this.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5642
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 03:59:30 PM »
Sad to hear that. I liked American Splendor, even though I'm not familiar with the comic. You could spell the guy's name right in the Forum Head, though.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5085
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 05:56:30 PM »
Sad to hear that. I liked American Splendor, even though I'm not familiar with the comic. You could spell the guy's name right in the Forum Head, though.

Ha, I completely missed that.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
Re: RIP Harvey Pekar
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 08:56:28 PM »
On timeout

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
Re: RIP Harvey Pekar
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 12:48:42 AM »
Heard on the radio today that people in Cleveland are all pissed off because LeBron James is going to Miami instead of playing for Cleveland....  The commentator was saying considering what's going on in this country - much less Cleveland - that's the least of their problems.

Hope they realize the real treasure they just lost.