Author Topic: The Silver Lining - The Fanmade King's Quest IX  (Read 558 times)

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
The Silver Lining - The Fanmade King's Quest IX
« on: July 11, 2010, 07:18:02 AM »
http://tsl-game.com

After years in development and two cancellations, chapter one is out! And it's...really short. Very little gameplay in chapter one, mostly cut scenes and exposition. I'm hoping this'll set up some fun stuff in future chapters, but I felt more like I was watching a movie with the occasional multiple choice bit.

That said, I really like the atmosphere of this game, and while the graphics aren't perfect, seeing familiar KQ6 locations rendered in 3D is a treat.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
Re: The Silver Lining - The Fanmade King's Quest IX
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 06:12:56 PM »
Oh, it's just the first chapter? I thought they were releasing the whole thing at once. :P

I guess I'll wait for more of it to be released... I don't want to start it up only to have to stop just as I get into my stride.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
Re: The Silver Lining - The Fanmade King's Quest IX
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 05:42:53 PM »
Chapter Two is out! It's basically one giant recipe fetch quest. There's far more gameplay and exploration than chapter one, but I still feel like the ratio of cutscenes to gameplay is one-sided. Still, since I'm playing mostly for the story, that doesn't bother me TOO much.

I'm loving the expansions of classic Green Isles locations. Somehow in all the times playing KQ6, it never occurred to me that there even *might* be more of the village off-camera, even non-canonically.

The voice acting is mostly good, especially from Graham, although some of the voices are a little odd--Ali sounds about thirty years younger than he did in KQ6! The narrator making fun of you for trying wrong things is kinda amusing, but frustrating when the solution you're trying actually makes sense to you.

Playing this on my Macbook in CrossOver led to some glitches this time around. Some graphics acted pretty wonky, and the game would crash frequently. But at least the frequent saving-and-restoring helped it feel like a King's Quest game! :P
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:45:37 PM by doggans »