login

Author Topic: IT'S THE 2010 NFL SEASON thread!!!  (Read 35392 times)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Re: IT'S THE 2010 NFL SEASON thread!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 02:46:09 AM »
Panthers WR Smith breaks arm, will miss start of training camp

Seriously, there are quite a few professional football players that should be held in a state-run facility for the duration of the off-season.

Broke your arm playing flag football?!? Come on!!

"The Panthers released longtime starter Jake Delhomme, promoted Matt Moore to starter and drafted Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen in the second round."

IMO, Moore should be the no-doubt starter. He proved himself  last season. Clausen has potential, but he's untested. Matt Moore (barring injury) will be the opening day starter and from what I saw last season, he should deliver.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3595
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 03:08:22 AM »
It'll be an interesting season for sure :o

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 03:11:16 PM »
Dear god, the Rams are talking to Terrell Owens' agent about him signing with the Rams.  WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?

To go from having classy guys like Issac Bruce and Torry Holt (who were both better than Owens) to owens.........  YOU'RE TEARING ME APART.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 03:17:08 PM »
Dear god, the Rams are talking to Terrell Owens' agent about him signing with the Rams.  WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?

To go from having classy guys like Issac Bruce and Torry Holt (who were both better than Owens) to owens.........  YOU'RE TEARING ME APART.
Desperate times call for desperate measures.. Good Luck!! 8)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 10:50:47 AM »
FINALLY!! :grr:

Panthers reach deal with QB Clausen

Carolina Panthers avoided any potential holdout drama by reaching an agreement on a four-year contract with quarterback Jimmy Clausen.

The Panthers and Clausen's agent, Gary Wichard, negotiated through the night, eventually reaching a deal that will allow him to report to camp on time today.

Clausen's four-year deal could pay him up to $6.3 million if he hits a package of incentives, according to a league source. The deal also includes a fourth-year escalator potentially worth $2.8 million. Including his first-year salary, the deal includes $2.533 million guaranteed.

Clausen is expected to arrive in Spartanburg to sign his contract this afternoon.

NOW GET TO THROWIN SOME PICKLES, CLAUSEN!!! :angry:

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 09:58:57 AM »
This is pretty funny .. And Hot! :o

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/shows/cubed

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 09:05:43 AM »
This makes me kinda sad in a way..
Quite possibly the end of an era :(

Person with knowledge of situation tells AP Brett Favre informs Vikings he will not return

Published August 03, 2010

MANKATO, Minn.

A person with knowledge of the situation tells The Associated Press that Brett Favre has informed the Vikings he will not return to Minnesota for a second season.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity Tuesday because the team had not made an official announcement. The person says the 40-year-old Favre called coach Brad Childress to say his injured ankle is not responding as well to surgery and rehabilitation as he had hoped.

With Favre, of course, nothing is ever necessarily final. He also told the Vikings last year he wouldn't play, but ultimately changed his mind and joined them immediately after they broke training camp.

Favre hurt his left ankle in the NFC championship loss to the New Orleans Saints. He had arthroscopic surgery in May.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 09:17:45 AM »
Yeah, this just means Farve was not getting enough ESPN coverage and just wants his name to be mentioned at the start of training camp.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 10:07:57 AM »
Would someone please explain this current obsession with Favre?

Outside of the end of a great career, that is.

Because it's not like each of these years that he's changed his mind and "un-retired" he's come back and won the whole thing.  In fact, did he make the playoffs every time?  He's not exactly Michael Jordan.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 10:37:46 AM »

Because it's not like each of these years that he's changed his mind and "un-retired" he's come back and won the whole thing.  In fact, did he make the playoffs every time?  He's not exactly Michael Jordan.
He's my age and I can kinda relate to the age thing and not wanting to call it a career because it's kinda like accepting you're old now and you're being sent out to pasture.. But that's just my feeling cause I'm stubborn that way sometimes :-\

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 01:04:57 PM »
I can imagine the horror of the Vikings fan when they realize that their QBs come down to Sage "Rosencopter" and Tavarous Jackson.

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 06:22:15 PM »
Yeah, I'll believe this story when the season starts.  And even then, possibly not until Week 6 or so.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 11:53:27 PM »

He's my age and I can kinda relate to the age thing and not wanting to call it a career because it's kinda like accepting you're old now and you're being sent out to pasture.. But that's just my feeling cause I'm stubborn that way sometimes :-\

I understand that.

However, you're not in a line of business where 16 weeks (and however many exibition games there are, I forget) out of the year a bunch of 300lb men are trying to fall upon you as part of their job.  And I would assume you haven't made enough money to live comfortably for the rest of your life.  Because otherwise I do believe you would retire because isn't "early retirement" considered an ideal?

But I think I got the message as to what is REALLY behind all of the wringing of the hands about this since I originally posted this.

The first guest the radio show I heard this on talked to after they first announced this was from a fantasy football website.  That's at least a big part of it.  It's about the fake games where Favre might be playing with teams made up of people he's not playing with in real life.

Wonder what that says about the state of the game?

Oh, btw....

Seriously, there are quite a few professional football players that should be held in a state-run facility for the duration of the off-season.

Broke your arm playing flag football?!? Come on!!

I think it was Dan Marino's next to last season he came up lame a few games in with an torn Achilles seemingly out of nowhere in the middle of a game.  This turned into a minor controversy because there were reliable people saying that they saw Marino fooling around on motorcycles with some friends during training camp time and he took a spill that also could have strained his Achilles....and there was a section in his contract about not doing certain high-risk activities within so many days before or after the season.  The story had "legs" because Marino's injury happened (seemingly) out of nowhere.  Nothing ever came of it though...just a lot of grumbling by the fans.

Point is, you'd think all of these guys would have provisions about that in their contracts.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:07:52 AM by Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 12:37:17 AM »

He's not only a living legend, but he's a legend that just last season came within a touchdown of going to the Super Bowl. And of course there's the whole "I'm retiring/Changed my mind, I'm not retiring" thing, which by the way was so hyped by ESPN and other sports outlets, that it couldn't help but catch the attention of even the casual fan. BTW, Duck, not at all implying that you are just a casual fan.

Yeah, I'll believe this story when the season starts.  And even then, possibly not until Week 6 or so.

:D

Couldn't have said it better myself. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Farve suited up for the season opener. But then again, he's a bit of a puzzle. Does the fire burn so hot inside him that he will be willed back to field or has he clearly realized this is the time to leave..."I walked away even after proving I could raise my game."

Bottom line: if Favre's not suited up on September 9th, I'll put it to (semi) rest.

;D

VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!