Author Topic: Lest Talk About HDTV's  (Read 4204 times)

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 564
  • Riff Super Monsters
Lest Talk About HDTV's
« on: June 30, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
LCD(LED)

or a

Plasma

my folks have a Toshiba REGZA  LED and i must say  it is a very good set especially when a blu ray is playing on it.
Academy Days by henry88 aka  Ghost of Criswell
https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3299939/1/Academy-Days mind dropping a review or perhaps sharing some ideas via pm

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
Re: Lest Talk About HDTV's
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 02:37:53 PM »
Don't forget the DLP HDTVs (which I know nothing about as well)!

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 02:49:11 PM »
Don't forget the DLP HDTVs (which I know nothing about as well)!

i thought they where gone
https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3299939/1/Academy-Days mind dropping a review or perhaps sharing some ideas via pm

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 02:53:56 PM »
I still see them for sale for cheap and know nothing about them, still.

Offline stansimpson

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 187
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 04:34:12 PM »
As someone who sells them for a living, I'd be happy to discuss things.

Um... now what were you saying?  Oh, yes.  They are nice.   ;D

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff Super Monsters

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 05:18:27 PM »
It's really your choice. I have a plasma, my parents have LCDs. They're both good - though, plasmas are a little better at handling fast motion, so if you watch a lot of sports (or a lot of animation, like me), plasma's probably better for you (and all those warnings about burn-in with plasmas? Nowadays that's mostly not an issue, and pertains only to when you have a completely still image on the screen for a long time.)

Basically, all I'd look for is one with full 1080p capability, and whichever one you feel shows the best picture in your eyes. That, and get either an upconverting DVD player or a Blu-Ray player (which also upconvert regular DVDs, but are pricier), and one or two HDMI cables in case your Tv and players don't come with one. 

Offline stansimpson

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 05:26:40 PM »
Right on, TTYT.

I used to window-shop for tvs and would like comparing the sets in store.  Now I just stick to the numbers and don't even look at the screen.  The big secret is contrast ratio.  Newer models will have the higher (aka "better") contrast.  LCD is usually around 100k:1 whereas most LEDs are in the millions.  So if you're lookin to buy, you know what size tv you want, you've decided on LCD/LED or plasma, and the price range is the same across several models, and you still can't decide, then go with the one with the higher contrast ratio.   There.  Now you're ready to buy a new tv.

Btw, brands aren't really an issue (altho Samsung is considered in the lead right now, and prob Sony).  Stick with the numbers.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 05:32:20 PM »
Right on, TTYT.

I used to window-shop for tvs and would like comparing the sets in store.  Now I just stick to the numbers and don't even look at the screen.  The big secret is contrast ratio.  Newer models will have the higher (aka "better") contrast.  LCD is usually around 100k:1 whereas most LEDs are in the millions.  So if you're lookin to buy, you know what size tv you want, you've decided on LCD/LED or plasma, and the price range is the same across several models, and you still can't decide, then go with the one with the higher contrast ratio.   There.  Now you're ready to buy a new tv.

Btw, brands aren't really an issue (altho Samsung is considered in the lead right now, and prob Sony).  Stick with the numbers.

witch  one last's longer  LCD/LED or plasma

Offline stansimpson

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 05:38:36 PM »
Right on, TTYT.

Really it depends on how often you use it.  First generation plasmas used to have a relatively short life span but anything newer has a very strong lifespan.  LCD, LED & plasma usually last around 100,000 hours (that can be 15-20 years).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 05:52:31 PM by stansimpson »

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 06:56:55 PM »

They both last about the same length now, and that mostly depends on how long you use it. Again, it's mostly up to you. Whichever TV you feel shows the best quality in terms of pictures and colours will be right for you.

However, don't buy any of the screens that are being used as store examples. If those are on sale, it's usually because they've been on almost 24/7 for like a year, and that constant use means the quality is definitely gonna be poorer.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 699
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 07:09:27 PM »
No matter what TV you do get, you absolutely should use a calibration disc. TVs out of the box are usually calibrated so they look decent under the harsh glow of a sales floor.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2949
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »
I'm considering a 55" Vizio TRU-LED LCD HDTV in the future.. 8)

But, I got this 52" Vivitek HD projection tv for Free from my future sister in law earlier this year..

so maybe I'll just wait to see if something better comes along :P

Offline stansimpson

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 08:53:10 PM »
I love the NES hooked up to it.  Tried that on my roomie's HDTV.  It looked wonderfully awful.   :D  It really shows what tube tvs cover up.  Haha.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 08:54:19 PM »
I'm considering a 55" Vizio TRU-LED LCD HDTV in the future.. 8)

But, I got this 52" Vivitek HD projection tv for Free from my future sister in law earlier this year..

so maybe I'll just wait to see if something better comes along :P

!!!!! where did you get that nes