login

Author Topic: Card games: Old and New  (Read 1601 times)

soguru

Card games: Old and New
« on: August 11, 2015, 11:04:44 PM »
I recently bought the starter decks for Superfight! and Cards Against Humanity. I'm really interested in playing these games with real live people, but therein lies the problem: I need to find some real live people in the area who are into playing card games.

Anyways, use this thread for talking about card games because I don't see one right now.

UncleDesIsBack

Re: Card games: Old and New
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 09:02:46 AM »
Our family used to drive friends in the car mad by playing Uno without cards.

soguru

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 12:01:20 PM »
Our family used to drive friends in the car mad by playing Uno without cards.
I can understand why, but that also sounds hilarious to me.

soguru

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 06:27:24 PM »
 :o So many card games! Makes my head spin! I got the card games I mentioned above because... well, I'm kinda getting burned out on electronic games and I find card games between real people to be so much more fun and personable without a huge expense. Well, the card decks I got were kinda expensive, plus there are all kinds of expansions you can get that are a bit pricey... well, from a certain point of view anyway. Anyways, I saw them playing Superfight on Friend Zone and Cards against Humanity on Table flip, so it wasn't just brand recognition, it was just that the themes of these games just seem right up my alley.

In superfight, you basically draw cards from a black deck and some from a white deck. You deal one character card as well as some attribute cards. Then you make your case for who would win. Then there's a table vote. i think it's a pretty fun concept. Cards Against humanity is basically kinda like Mad Libs with some pretty mature content here and there. There's a lot of variations on this game too, but I can see all kinds of fun happening because of these games. :D

Oh, I got some dice games too, including Zombie Dice, Star Wars and a Cthulhu Dice game. :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 06:29:31 PM by Soguru »

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 171
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 08:41:03 PM »
You can play some good card games for free on this site, including Hanabi (although that one definitely loses something online), 6 Nimmt! (I believe this one is basically identical to No Thanks!), Coloretto, Jaipur, Libertalia, and Haggis (also a few I haven't tried yet):

http://en.boardgamearena.com/

One I purchased recently that I have yet to convince anyone to play with me  (I mean people in a gaming group, not just random people on the street) :(:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/150298/one-zero-one
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 08:45:10 PM by MightyBombJack »

soguru

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 09:10:43 PM »
Thanks Mighty Bomb Jack.  :D I know a place or two that has games, so I might try there since I know the owners fairly well.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 07:11:59 PM »
I recently bought the starter decks for Superfight! and Cards Against Humanity. I'm really interested in playing these games with real live people, but therein lies the problem: I need to find some real live people in the area who are into playing card games.

Anyways, use this thread for talking about card games because I don't see one right now.

Hope you get to use those soon. Still haven't tried Cards Against Humanity, but Superfight has been a big hit at a couple game nights here.

We also recommend Boss Monster, a game themed around building a retro video game dungeon to kill heroes with. They have a couple expansions now, one that adds item cards that unlock new abilities but make the heroes stronger, and Boss Monster 2 that has some unique cards and can be played on its own or mixed with the original cards.

With the right crowd you could also check out Machine of Death, which is basically a card and dice-aided improv exercise about killing people.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 07:11:24 AM »
Is Machine of Death related to the two anthology books of the same name?  It's a good anthology BTW.

Cards Against Humanity is good, but you really need to play it with the right group of friends (and don't let the game go on too long).

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3899
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 07:34:09 AM »
When I'm bored, I'll just play me some Solitaire on the computer with some old 80s Fates Warning playing in the background 8)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 09:17:09 AM »
Is Machine of Death related to the two anthology books of the same name?  It's a good anthology BTW.

Cards Against Humanity is good, but you really need to play it with the right group of friends (and don't let the game go on too long).

I haven't read the books, but I do remember the instructions mentioning them, yes. You play as a group of assassins using the items listed in drawn cards to kill your target, needing to create a process that will eventually end with the type of death predicted by the machine (another deck of cards). Almost everything is open to endless interpretation and the best games go to incredibly outlandish lengths.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 12:03:57 AM »
Hmm I thought there was another tabletop games thread. I play Netrunner weekly and I'm off to the NZ nationals next week!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 12:57:57 AM »
Hmm I thought there was another tabletop games thread. I play Netrunner weekly and I'm off to the NZ nationals next week!

I've often thought of starting one.

I was meant to go to a game night last night, but I've come down with another cold. I'm not too bad, but one of the guys in the group is about to travel to Germany to go to the Essen game fair, and I would have felt terrible if I made him sick :P
FINE