Author Topic: All Time Favourite Comic Book Moments  (Read 996 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4682
  • Mr. Robot
All Time Favourite Comic Book Moments
« on: June 15, 2010, 11:04:19 AM »
I finished getting through this column

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/01/01/the-year-of-cool-comic-book-moments-archive/

And I was wondering what your all time favourite comic book moments are.

One I was shocked wasn't on the above list:  The Great Cow Race from Bone.  Everyone loves it and with just cause.  Perfectly paced, very exciting, very funny with a satisfying conclusion.  Like an orchestra of chaos, Jeff Smith conducts it beautifully.

From Top Ten, I also love the introduction of Joe Pi.  In fact, I wish Alan Moore did more of that just to explore his character.  He has several great moments including when the character takes a dark yet strangely noble turn when he
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
.  But probably my favourite moment is when he tricks the bigoted Shock-Headed Peter into thinking that he's been doing something inappropriate with Joe's "sister", a vending machine.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2901
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: All Time Favourite Comic Book Moments
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 12:29:25 AM »
I loved the weird comics as a kid. The ones that were fully aware that they lived in an insane comic book universe and acted accordingly. ALF, Defenders of Dynatron City...  My childhood was full of comics that never tended to make it past issue 4 (Except ALF which led a pretty long print run. Come to think of it, ALF in comic book form acted almost just like Deadpool. Might be why I read him so much today. Anywho...)  So here are a couple of my favorite comic book memories (All conveniantly archived online by other people!):

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0_ynVlwAg9U/RgXoGtCU7pI/AAAAAAAABW0/eWYHK-O8dM0/s1600-h/9d.jpg

http://bp1.blogger.com/_dEwYZDt09yI/R92CXPHa71I/AAAAAAAABTc/9HxlmCBkxsI/s1600-h/Sam+%26+Max+-+Surfin+The+Highway+TPB-043.jpg

Offline jindar

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 10:04:20 PM »
I never got into superhero comics as a kid, but I did read some of my dad's old World War 2 themed DC comics. My favourite comic moment was in one of them, in a short story called "Stop Telling me to Kill" (or something like that).
The particular moment happens while a shell-shocked US Infantryman is seeing to a wounded French girl in a bombed out town. A German officer hiding in the city leaves a medical kit in a place where the American can find it. The American helps the girl and a German sniper refuses to shoot him.
These 1960-70s WW2 comics usually had the Germans as soulless drones that were easily defeated. I remember one comic had a Tiger tank exploding after having a tree fall on it. It was a nice difference.     

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4682
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 03:17:59 PM »
I just remembered a moment from Noaki Urasawa's series Monster that I really liked.  The series was good overall and had some great cliffhangers and character-based shocks, even if the entirety wasn't perfect.  But what I really liked where some of the emotional moments.

One such moment involves the hero, Dr. Tenma, finding a boy named Deiter.  Dieter seems really depressed but Tenma tries to cheer him up by pointing out that "It might be really bad now, but sometimes you have to believe that tomorrow is going to be a good day. After returning him to his father, finds out that the father is not only abusive, but he's trying to reproduce cruel psychological experiments that he began behind the iron curtain that may have given birth to the series enigmatic villain Johann.  He believes his cruelty will turn Dieter into a being above most humans by accepting the meaningless of life.  In a gripping finale to the story arc, Dieter finally gets the courage to walk away from his "father" and his ramblings about how nothing is important and that this view will make him strong enough to be a world leader.  He walks away, not caring about being a leader and simply tells him that "Tomorrow is going to be a good day."  It might seem trite and simplistic, but I always thought that it was a great moment and one of Dr. Tenma's first true victories over Johann and his nihilistic worldview, even if he wasn't present.