login

Author Topic: Audiobooks  (Read 5317 times)

Offline Dustin

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Audiobooks
« on: June 13, 2010, 05:10:23 PM »
I was just listening to what I consider a really good audio book, Frank Muller's reading of 1984. I love em for multitasking. I'm listening to one now, even though sometimes I'll type out a sentence from the book in the middle of something else. Do you have a favorite or anything you'd like to share?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Audiobooks
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 05:15:12 PM »
Not overly fond of audiobooks per se but I like audio dramas and dramatizations and the like.

There's a thread for them here  :)

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »
"Last Words" by George Carlin and read by his older brother, Patrick....who doesn't quite have George's timing when he's doing snippets of routines contained in the book.  But a very enjoyable listen.  Got a chuckle out of an argument that Carlin talks about having with Sen. Robert (The Starfighters) Dornan on a TV talk show....

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 06:59:12 PM »
I was never a fan of audiobooks for the longest time, but a few months ago I started listening to them because I've been on a particularly monotonous assignment at work, with lots of tedious downloading and data processing that requires lots of finger work but very little brain engagement - listening to a book is a great way to kill the boredom.

Audible's versions of "Daemon" and "Freedom" by Daniel Suarez are just awesome. I think I actually enjoyed the audio reading even better than when I originally read the books (which is saying a lot for me - I like nothing better than curling up on the couch with a book).

Also, Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter is absolutely not to be missed. By far the best version out there.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 09:19:36 PM »
Also, Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter is absolutely not to be missed. By far the best version out there.
One Christmas, Radio Four broadcast the whole of his reading of the first book which was great.

Offline jindar

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 08:06:12 AM »
Those old discworld audiobooks read by Nigel what's-his-name are some of my favourites.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 03:04:46 PM »
Planer

This fella

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 07:29:19 PM »
Yeah, the ones read by that other dude who isn't Nigel Planer just aren't as good. I intend to listen to the whole series at some point, but so far I've only made it through Sourcery, plus Unseen Academicals.

I just got ahold of the Dexter books, so it looks like as soon as I finish the last Ender's Saga book, I'll be pushing back Temeraire yet again. ;)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 12:59:58 AM »
I agree that the reader can make a big difference.

I'm a huge fan of the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child "Agent Pendergast" books.  With the last two I got the audio books rather than the print because I knew I wasn't going to have the time to sit with my eyes trained on pages for a long while.  Those books were read by Rene Auberjonois and he did a wonderful job.

Decided to go back to an older Pendergast book I'd read and listen to it this time - "The Cabinet of Curiosities" - and found that it was read by a woman.  It's not that she's bad at it. It just doesn't have the same "flavor".

And when you can get the author of the book on the audio - like Kathy Griffith on "Official Book Club Selection" and Craig Ferguson on "American On Purpose" - it's even better.  Right now I'm waiting on a copy of "This Time Together" being read by the author - Carol Burnett.  Really looking forward to that!  ;D

I'm debating this.  Love Fry but I tried reading the first Harry Potter book and gave up out of non-interest.  Have been wondering if this might make a difference.(and btw, he's also done his own books for audio, some Winnie the Pooh stories and an unabridged version of "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy").

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 06:32:08 PM »
I'm sure it's fine for some, but a lot of authors don't have any talent whatsoever as performers. It just depends on where their abilities lie - for some, it's purely their gift for putting words to page... in person or just generally speaking, they can be complete non-entities.

I do have a bunch of Fry's stuff on my wishlist, but since money is always painfully tight I can't justify buying an audiobook of Winnie the Pooh right now, much as I might like to indulge the child in me. ;)

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 09:11:26 PM »
I can't justify buying an audiobook of Winnie the Pooh right now, much as I might like to indulge the child in me. ;)

That's something I'd bet the library might have.

And I agree that authors who aren't performers already reading their books would be dicey.  Although Dickens and Twain used to read from their books live.....

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 02:36:45 AM »
They only did that to get laid. ;)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 05:11:52 AM »
Knowing the sexual proclivities of the both of them, that's not all that unlikely...

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 03:32:29 PM »
It's not only a quote from Finding Forrester, it's also true!

Every performer does what they do in the hopes (or assurance) of getting laid. :)

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 04:44:11 PM »
Don't know about the getting laid part but it was definately for the money.