login

Author Topic: Audiobooks  (Read 5025 times)

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: Audiobooks
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 03:18:29 PM »
Crap.  I didn't even know Frank Muller had died.  I just remember him doing the audiobook of The Talisman.  He did a good job reading it, but I'm very ambivalent towards the story (in that, I want to like it, but there's things that happen in it that made me not like it so much).

Always liked audiobooks, and I certainly agree that a good reader can make a break it.  Case in point, many years ago I checked out Roald Dahl's The Witches read by Richard Briers (and released by the now defunct Chivers Audiobooks, whose library I believe is now owned by BBC America).  If you don't know who Richard Briers is, he's a character actor (and at the time I write this, thankfully still among us) who did a lot of work on things Dahl wrote for television, and his reading of The Witches is one of the best audiobooks I've ever heard.  He does great voicework, has a wonderful cadence, and manages the near impossible of actually making the suspenseful parts suspenseful.

This version is now very difficult to find, though awhile back I found a site selling an MP3 of it.  The rights to new recordings have since been bought out by Recorded Books, who had the late Lynn Redgrave reading it.  I haven't heard Redgrave's reading, and while I'm sure it's quite acceptable, I just don't think it would be possible to top Brier's version...it's one of the few recording's of Dahl's work I've heard that just WORKS.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2012, 04:06:52 PM »
I don't think he's dead.  He just has severe brain damage.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2012, 05:14:55 PM »
Nope.  According to Wikipedia, he went into surgery in 2008 for various health problems and didn't come back out.  I don't think they were related to his motorcycle accident, but I'm sure it certainly didn't help.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.