login

Author Topic: 'Spawn' reboot coming  (Read 1267 times)

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 5
'Spawn' reboot coming
« on: June 03, 2010, 09:00:50 PM »
Bit of really old news (as in August 2009), but:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=58290

Spawn" creator Todd McFarlane has announced that he has officially begun writing the screenplay for a new movie based on the character.

"The story has been in my head for 7 or 8 years," McFarlane said. "The movie idea is neither a recap or continuation. It is a standalone story that will be R-rated. Creepy and scary."

He added that "the tone of this 'Spawn' movie will be for a more older audience. Like the film The Departed."

Dunno what's happened since, but I just hope Leguizamo plays Clown again. He and the FX work were the only reasons I slightly enjoyed the `97 movie.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: 'Spawn' reboot coming
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 09:05:52 PM »

Spawn" creator Todd McFarlane has announced that he has officially begun writing the screenplay for a new movie based on the character.

"The story has been in my head for 7 or 8 years," McFarlane said. "The movie idea is neither a recap or continuation. It is a standalone story that will be R-rated. Creepy and scary."

He added that "the tone of this 'Spawn' movie will be for a more older audience. Like the film The Departed."

Dunno what's happened since, but I just hope Leguizamo plays Clown again. He and the FX work were the only reasons I slightly enjoyed the `97 movie.
Yeah, I really liked Leguizamo as The Clown. It's the reason I started being a fan of his. As I recall it rated highly on my Guilty Pleasure Movies List.

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 151
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 09:36:12 PM »
Yeah, I really liked Leguizamo as The Clown. It's the reason I started being a fan of his. As I recall it rated highly on my Guilty Pleasure Movies List.

There was a point where I had seen that movie so many times that I was actually able to transcribe the entire thing, dialogue, action, and scenes, from memory.
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 09:38:42 PM »

There was a point where I had seen that movie so many times that I was actually able to transcribe the entire thing, dialogue, action, and scenes, from memory.
"How come God hogs up all the good followers and we get all the retards?"

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 08:57:18 PM »
Interesting.  I rate the Spawn movie as one of my all time awful movie experiences.  And the thing I hated the most was Leguizamo.

-dale

Doctor Who?

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 09:06:29 PM »
Are Spawn comics still being published.

Offline Crow T. Robot 666

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • Do not offend the chair leg of truth.
    • Teeth of the Divine
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 06:51:19 PM »
Joe Estevez finally gets his shot.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 10:54:17 PM »
As someone who liked the original too (although I'll admit I never read the comic) I'd look forward to another version of this....

Unless they go "style over substance" like so many other movies.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 07:18:53 PM »
Are Spawn comics still being published.

Yep.  For the longest time it was at the time, but things started to dip sales wise after issue 100.  I guess 100 issues of a dead guy whining and not really doing anything took it's toll.  From what I understand there was a good brief run by David Hine but largely, it's all pretty forgettable stuff.  I guess recently they tired the Al Simmons character and are focusing on some new Spawn.  whether or not it can be touched with a 10 foot pole is not something I've been paying attention to.

I still like this:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/1999/10/8/

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 05:43:56 AM »

I remember thinking the soundtrack was pretty awesome too
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)