Author Topic: A new Thundercats series is coming  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
Re: A new Thundercats series is coming
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 04:11:31 PM »
Yep. I think a cartoon done in the style of, say, Jackson Pollock would also suck dick.  I loathe the anime style.

I think "anime style" is a bit too simplistic of a term... Now, if you are referring to shit like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then yea, I'm right with you in the general loathing... But that isn't quite the same thing as what was in the Thundercats trailer. I thought it looked decent on the surface... But of course, it's a different world now than 25 years ago when stuff like Thundercats, Voltron and He-Man shows cropped up. Back then, they were designed to sell toys and forced to shoehorn FCC-mandated educational messages. Today's reboots are aimed more at the nostalgia market of young adults then they are at 4th graders watching cartoons after school. This new Thundercats target audience are 20/30-somethings who will spend months online debating casting rumors for the next [insert Marvel property here] reboot.

Also, before I found the image above, I was looking for one of the hugely exaggerated laughing anime characters... with the mouth hole that goes from the size of a grape to the size of a basketball once they laugh... so I typed "anime big mouth" into google image search... yea, never ever ever do that with safe search disabled.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 07:28:03 PM »
I feel the reboot is a bit like this. 

http://www.homestarrunner.com/aprilfool10.html

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 04:55:48 PM »
It's more than that. It's stupid dutch angles, it's characters whose faces twitch to show emotion, who never seem to have noses, who all have giant punk-rock afros, etc.

You know what the majority of anime fans usually call that? Anime that's not that good.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 571
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »
Series starts this Friday, by the way, just to notify those interested.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 09:06:49 PM »
Well...I was impressed by that premiere. The new Wilykit and Wilykat might get on my nerves a bit, but nowhere near as much as the original Snarf did (and by the way, the new Snarf is actually pretty adorable, I have to say.)

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 06:07:18 AM »
Just watched it.. Oh my god.. it was beautiful.. A remake that surpasses the original in every way. This is what the original should have been. I am an instant fan. Great nods like the robobear arm and Lynx-o.

- Wiley kit/Kat-- I like them being street urchins. Gives them an edge and a good back story. Also making them a bit younger makes them more kid like and innocent.

- Snarf -- They did it. They not only made Snarf likeable, but downright lovable. I got a big laugh at the horn bit.

- Lion-o - Seems a bit like a cross between the kid Lion-o from the og first ep and the adult lion-o. He is not an adult, but not a little kid either. He is more of a mid late teen. He is immature at times, yet has a wisdom beyond that of his elders (sparing the two lizards).

- Tigra -- So he is Lion-o's step brother? Nice twist making them rivals.

I loved Lion-O's old VA being the father. Nice touch. The old series had a kick ass intro and slow dull episodes with bland acting. This is beautiful to watch, great action galore, and very well acted.

Give me toys now... I am in heaven. Great twists and turns. Great Mumm-ra tease..

I do see this as a reboot/remake. This is 3rd Earth. The cats are originally from Thundera. The old cats had tech and ships that brought them to 3rd earth. Over the centuries and eons, they relied on magic and not tech. They also became dominate species over the years. Now they have a superiority complex.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 10:03:35 AM »
I also need to give props to the composer for this new series. IMDB says Kevin Kliesch. Hell of a job, man. Hell of a job. The music was awesome.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 618
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 11:08:15 AM »
i wonder how long till CN gives thundercats the ax

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 11:17:41 AM »
episode 2

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 07:11:18 AM »
Was over at my Godson's family last night and they'd recorded it for him and his brother so we watched it. I rather liked it, a lot more thought had been put into it than the original (i.e. some) but I was puzzled as to why Lionel was the heir to the throne when stripes was the older brother, don't Thundercats follow primogeniture when it comes to royal inheritance?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 07:13:28 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 10:23:22 AM »
I'm going to assume the colouration is mostly on the level of hair/eye/complexion possibly race but not actually species. Maybe Lionel's mother is his dad's favourite consort which would explain the leapfrogging in the order of succession. 

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »
I'm not saying the name doesn't reflect the physical characteristic, Kind of like how the names Cameron and  Campbell represent physical characteristic, but there's nothing to indicate a separate species. I mean they both seem intrested in introducing big boobs and bo staff to their barb-tipped old chaps and cheetahs aren't even big cats so evidently we're looking at some sort of Felis sapiens rather than seperate species.

I mean it could be that having been born into a different, less fond of descriptive names, family, stripes might have ended up with the moniker "Todd" while Lionel would have gone by "Ralph" perhaps it's a royal thing. ;)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2011, 12:49:26 PM »
Yeah, I realized what a silly thing this is to even discuss: whether cartoon cats want to fuck cartoon cats of phenotypically different species.

I'd like to see Christopher Hitchens and Dinesh D'Souza tackle that one!
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 01:04:47 PM »
Yeah, I realized what a silly thing this is to even discuss: whether cartoon cats want to fuck cartoon cats of phenotypically different species.

But, this is the internet; that's what we do here. ;)

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2011, 01:23:13 PM »
The reason Lion-O was heir was he was blood. Tygra was the adopted older brother. He is not of the bloodline. The two were raised as brothers.