Author Topic: Is it bad...  (Read 674 times)

Offline Valthor

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
Is it bad...
« on: May 28, 2010, 03:10:34 AM »
that I kind of what to hear a riff of Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire?  Am I allowed to make that suggestion without getting into trouble?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2512
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Is it bad...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 01:16:11 PM »
No idea.  Has anyone here actually seen the movie?  I know of no one who has.  All my knowledge of it at this point is the long title being said at awards shows.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1007
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 03:15:24 PM »
I haven't seen it either, but the one person whom I know who has described it as "Powerful, but only slightly less depressing than The Road" and that's enough to keep me away from it.

But hey, Family Guy might tackle it!

(That's their ad for the Emmys this year.)

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 12:11:56 AM »
I've seen it, it's a pretty good movie though it's a bit overrated. Great acting though, they even managed to get a good performance out of Mariah Carey. I've had thoughts about it being riffed because one of the guys, I think it was Bill, kept making fun of the title on his Twitter. I dooubt it will happen though. Pretty hard to make light of a girl being raped (and impregnated twice) by her father and beaten by her mother.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 536
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 01:25:56 AM »
I've seen it.  Found it to be very original actually.  It could've been a Lifetime movie, but the directing and writing really pushes it into a place most movies wish they could get to.  Which is odd to say because, as JimJ points out, it does deal with some tough issues.  And, yes, the acting is quite stellar in it.  Kinda reminds me of Doubt last year seeing how it had very few roles that allow talented actors to shine, deal with taboo subjects, and still maintain humor and inventiveness in places.

No, it's not "bad" you want Precious riffed.  It just goes to prove my theory that every film out there has somebody who wants it riffed.   And yes, I've heard it mentioned before of someone wanting Doubt riffed as well.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 01:27:41 AM by stansimpson »

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 06:07:55 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wu2P3R_wC5A" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Wu2P3R_wC5A</a>