login

Author Topic: SGU  (Read 2214 times)

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
Re: SGU
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 02:48:51 PM »

Dont believe me?  Try to sit through an episode of Magnum PI or MacGyver, and then tell me why those shows lasted for 7 seasons!  Its because nothing else was on!

It was that or READ A BOOK!!! (blood curdling scream)  :o

To each their own.  I've been working my way through Magnum PI on DVD.  I think it's a quality show and still stands up well today.  I am with you on Stargate Universe however. I'm enjoying it immensely and hope that it sticks around for a while.

Offline WeatherServo9

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • I like my family - as a friend!
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 10:36:46 PM »
Okay, the first season is almost done, so perhaps it's time to revive this thread.

I know a ton of people are down on this show, but like some of you who've already said so, I actually like it.  The visuals and sets are top-notch, the acting is good, the plot is an interesting one.  It really has a lot going in its favor, and I'm glad to see that it will be around for another season at least.

Seemingly people just can't accept that it's not like the other Stargate shows, and in their minds that makes it crap.  I suspect some of these people are the same ones who were upset about Starbuck being a woman in Ron Moore's BSG.  Don't forget that quite a few hard core Trekkies hated STNG just because it was new and different - until it got really popular.

---> Don't keep reading if you haven't watched Subversion and still want to. <---

Something struck me watching the latest episode (Subversion).  Having O'Neill on that ship really felt out of place to me, especially when he was joking around in the midst of an otherwise serious scene that we al knew was headed towards torture.  And I love RDA and the character, but I just wanted to reach through the screen, shake him and tell him to stop making jokes and get serious for a moment, which is something I would never have thought watching SG-1 or Atlantis. 

Oddly enough, I was perusing some of the comments about this episode over at Gateworld, and tons of people there like it precisely because it had O'Neill and Dr. Jackson in it.  And people like it because it felt, in many ways, like an old school Stargate episode.  And I have to say this actually kind of disappoints me a bit.  If you only like the show when it imitates the old school feel, then you don't really like the show.  (Admittedly, many of them will tell you they indeed don't.)  There were a lot of complaints about the baby shower scene (people felt that it didn't belong or took time away from the plot), but I actually thought the baby shower scene was indicative of exactly what all those people who have been complaining about the show have been begging to see more of - the crew actually acting like a crew, like a family, not like a bunch of people who don't like each other.  So a lot of people have been kicking this show around for showing characters in the Stargate universe (ha ha) in conflict with each other, and then they complain when those same characters take screen time away from torture and intrigue to actually overcome that conflict. 

You can't please all of the people all of the time, and some people you can't please anytime.

Does this show have some flaws?  Of course.  But so did MST3K and everything else ever created by human beings.  I still don't really buy Telford as a spy, and I'd like to see more of the ship, and I still can't think of a logical reason the aliens would have planted a tracking device on Rush unless they planned to release him back to the ship themselves (or they just weren't sure about the strength of their own jails).  And maybe that was explained and I missed it.  A lot of people don't seem to like the character of Chloe, but I think they're just upset about the fact that such a character is really out of place in that environment - which is, of course, the whole point. 

But the really amusing thing about the hatred surrounding this show are the anti-SGU websites and forum threads that have sprung up, where I guess people who really, absolutely despise the show write about how much they really, absolutely despise it - after they watch it every week.  What?

So I don't think this show can be dismissed as just a BSG clone.  And it has definitely colored my perception of the other Stargate shows (of which I am a huge fan).

And that's all for now on this subject.
Not everybody is Steve!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 11:52:56 PM »
Okay, the first season is almost done, so perhaps it's time to revive this thread.

I know a ton of people are down on this show, but like some of you who've already said so, I actually like it.  The visuals and sets are top-notch, the acting is good, the plot is an interesting one.  It really has a lot going in its favor, and I'm glad to see that it will be around for another season at least.

I'll agree with you on everything except the acting.  I just tried watching one of the recent episodes, most likely the last attempt for me, I like the effects and it's a cool ship but I  still can't stand the characters.  Can't be sure if it's the acting or the writing, but if I don't like the characters I can't watch a show no matter how good the effects are. 

I could forgive a lot of the plot holes in BSG just because I thought all the characters were great.  Even that first horrible season of Star Trek Next Generation was possible to get through because you could tell there was chemistry there and it would get better (and it did), I don't see that here at all.  I was looking for at least one character I could like but haven't found one, the best ones only rise to the level of apathy for me.   

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 06:06:53 AM »
Great point about the first season of NextGen.  That crap was damn near unwatchable but, you're right, the characters and their chemistry kept us going until the sets, SPFX, and writing got better.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline WeatherServo9

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 05:34:55 PM »
I'll agree with you on everything except the acting.  I just tried watching one of the recent episodes, most likely the last attempt for me, I like the effects and it's a cool ship but I  still can't stand the characters.  Can't be sure if it's the acting or the writing, but if I don't like the characters I can't watch a show no matter how good the effects are.

I agree with you about watching a show just for effects.  Don't ever do that!  (Enterprise.)

I really like the work of both Robert Carlyle as Rush and Alaina Huffman as Lt. Johansen.  I'm sure Huffman will go on to do big starring roles after this.  In the episode Faith, there's this moment where she makes a life-changing decision in just a few seconds, and all without saying a word to anyone about it, and while holding on to a big show-altering secret, and she conveys this amazing poignancy with just the look on her face. 

I wrote this in another thread, but what the heck, I'll repeat it here.  Sometimes TV shows just don't grab you.  And that's okay.  Lost never grabbed me, SGU has.  Obviously SGU hasn't grabbed you or a lot of people, and that's fine.  I guess I just think some of the criticism has been absurdly harsh, and the fact that people started leveling it years before anyone had even filmed a second of the show lends it even less credence.

As to their chemistry, the point of the show is that this particular group of people isn't supposed to have much chemistry, since they weren't all part of the team which was planning to go through the wormhole.  But I think in subsequent episodes we've seen some sparks of chemistry, and I think we'll see even more in season 2.  At least I hope that's the writers' and producers' plan. 

On STNG (and all Star Trek and the other Stargate shows, as well) the whole point was that this was a group of people who've signed on to being a group out doing the thing they've all signed on to do, so of course there's going to be chemistry there.  But many of the characters on SGU didn't sign up for a life of exploring the uncharted reaches of the universe; like a senator's daughter, for instance, didn't sign up for that, nor did an unemployed guy who had been playing video games in his mom's house.  As for chemistry between the actors themselves, when the point of the show is to show characters in difficulty and conflict, it's probably going to be difficult to find on-screen chemistry between the actors.

All of a sudden I find myself really defending this show, and I'm not sure why.  It is just a show, and I should really just relax.

I really liked BSG, and absolutely agree that the characters on that show were top-notch.  I had so much admiration for Tigh, and felt enormous sympathy for Roslin.  But there were tons of people who never watched or got into that show at all (I guess they were too busy watching America's Next Top Model), so tastes vary. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to watch my Criterion edition of Bikini Car Wash IV.
Not everybody is Steve!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 07:47:10 PM »
As to their chemistry, the point of the show is that this particular group of people isn't supposed to have much chemistry, since they weren't all part of the team which was planning to go through the wormhole.  But I think in subsequent episodes we've seen some sparks of chemistry, and I think we'll see even more in season 2.  At least I hope that's the writers' and producers' plan. 

On STNG (and all Star Trek and the other Stargate shows, as well) the whole point was that this was a group of people who've signed on to being a group out doing the thing they've all signed on to do, so of course there's going to be chemistry there.  But many of the characters on SGU didn't sign up for a life of exploring the uncharted reaches of the universe; like a senator's daughter, for instance, didn't sign up for that, nor did an unemployed guy who had been playing video games in his mom's house.  As for chemistry between the actors themselves, when the point of the show is to show characters in difficulty and conflict, it's probably going to be difficult to find on-screen chemistry between the actors.

There can still be chemistry even if all the characters are not supposed to like each other or get along, hard to explain but I don't see it here.

And I think you just pointed out a flaw in the show, people thrown together in an impossible situation will mostly band together, to push continual conflict seems artificial and unappealing.  The show just seems like people fighting in a burning house.

Kind of sorry now I started this thread but I probably would not have even tried watching any more of it had I not been reminded, so if it had gotten better I would have missed out.  Maybe if it's still on I'll try again half way through season 2.

Offline WeatherServo9

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 01:13:41 PM »
There can still be chemistry even if all the characters are not supposed to like each other or get along, hard to explain but I don't see it here.

I do get that.  Often times chemistry between rivals adds a little something-something to the enjoyment.

I also agree that they have sort of loaded down the show with conflict, and sometimes that's annoying.  I just think the point of the show is for them to work out those conflicts with each other, and I think the main thing we disagree on is that you (and many others) would like to see that happen a lot faster than it is.

Since season 1 is almost done, you'll have to wait 'till the fall to watch any of season 2, and then 2011 to start watching halfway through it.  I suspect you'll forget unless you put it on your calendar!   ;)
Not everybody is Steve!

Offline Halifirien

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
  • One nation under Doom
    • Random Notes
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 06:09:18 PM »
I'm a Stargate Universe fan. A big part of my liking the show is that I've only watched maybe six episodes of SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis so the shift in tone doesn't really bother me. The episodes I'd seen always felt so cheesy that I couldn't get into them. I look at SGU as the Deep Space Nine of the Stargate franchise: darker, serialized, and far more interesting. I'm curious to see where they're going with it.

Offline WeatherServo9

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 07:44:39 PM »
I look at SGU as the Deep Space Nine of the Stargate franchise: darker, serialized, and far more interesting. I'm curious to see where they're going with it.

I think that's an accurate analogy.  I also agree that curiosity about where the show is headed is the main thing that keeps me interested. 

Season one has been a lot about establishing how to survive on the ship and how to work and live together.  So now that a lot of that is resolved (although not all of it, of course), I'm looking forward to seeing what direction the show takes in season 2.  Although with all this hatred for it, I don't know that there's much of a hope for a season 3.  Maybe it will find a strong, steady fan base on Tuesday nights in the fall, maybe not.  We'll see.
Not everybody is Steve!