Author Topic: The big thread of unsearchable questions  (Read 82189 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: The big thread of unsearchable questions
« Reply #660 on: December 14, 2015, 10:18:40 PM »
So the other day, the Sprout Network (The channel for parents who need their kids to just be quiet for a little bit) was showing the old Christmas special, The Snowman. I was trying to remember how old that special was, so I hit the info button. What I got was:

(1957) John Carradine - A monster has awakened in the foothills of Japan.

So, obviously, that was the info for a different movie (Turns out the Snowman was in '82). It left me wondering, though. What movie WAS it? I skimmed his IMDB listing and none of the 1957 movies I could find sound like monster movies...

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #661 on: December 14, 2015, 10:36:49 PM »
So the other day, the Sprout Network (The channel for parents who need their kids to just be quiet for a little bit) was showing the old Christmas special, The Snowman. I was trying to remember how old that special was, so I hit the info button. What I got was:

(1957) John Carradine - A monster has awakened in the foothills of Japan.

So, obviously, that was the info for a different movie (Turns out the Snowman was in '82). It left me wondering, though. What movie WAS it? I skimmed his IMDB listing and none of the 1957 movies I could find sound like monster movies...

My guess would be: Half Human (1958).

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #662 on: December 14, 2015, 10:39:05 PM »
That does line up pretty well.

Ha! So they mixed up The Snowman with a movie about The Abominable Snowman.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #663 on: May 22, 2016, 12:09:43 PM »
So I'm in Ireland with my wife hiking over some hills. Three bros walk past us carying a bunch of Coca Cola and ask "You guys got any sandwiches?"  Not in a serious tone or anything. We laugh and say no, and then they loudly say "fuck you!" after we pass them, which my wife returns.

While its entirely possible that they were just being idiots, or maybe it's an inside joke, we can't help but wonder if it was a reference to something, or an insult maybe?  A comment on my wife's weight?  Any insight would be appreciated.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4475
« Reply #664 on: May 27, 2016, 08:29:39 PM »
Is there a word for being hungry and nauseous at the same time?

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #665 on: May 27, 2016, 09:04:41 PM »
Is there a word for being hungry and nauseous at the same time?

If there is, I bet it rhymes with the word for being thirsty but also really having to pee at the same time.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #666 on: May 30, 2016, 07:20:16 PM »
In America we have frat boys, douchebags, and many other nicknames for this particular type of person.

In Europe there are a lot of guys that will walk around in groups with sports jerseys on, usually football jerseys. They all look the same and act the same, so there must be some sort of derogatory name for them. Anyone know any?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #667 on: May 30, 2016, 07:40:47 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dh3vsDjhY_8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dh3vsDjhY_8</a>

So this is an old Pluto cartoon. In it, Pluto's really tired. There's a recurring gag that you can see at about the 2:42 mark where a Chinese stereotype looking version of Pluto comes in and knocks him out. I'm pretty sure that's old-school casual racism, but I have no idea where that particular stereotype is coming from.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #668 on: May 30, 2016, 08:46:15 PM »
In America we have frat boys, douchebags, and many other nicknames for this particular type of person.

In Europe there are a lot of guys that will walk around in groups with sports jerseys on, usually football jerseys. They all look the same and act the same, so there must be some sort of derogatory name for them. Anyone know any?
Hooligan?

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #669 on: May 30, 2016, 09:11:02 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dh3vsDjhY_8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dh3vsDjhY_8</a>

So this is an old Pluto cartoon. In it, Pluto's really tired. There's a recurring gag that you can see at about the 2:42 mark where a Chinese stereotype looking version of Pluto comes in and knocks him out. I'm pretty sure that's old-school casual racism, but I have no idea where that particular stereotype is coming from.

Well, at least he didn't put pee-pee in his coke.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #670 on: May 30, 2016, 11:30:12 PM »

Well, I thought it was a different stereotype but when that search failed I found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Japanese_Sandman

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #671 on: May 31, 2016, 04:45:25 AM »

Hooligan?

Perfect!  Looks like that's it.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #672 on: September 07, 2016, 06:42:44 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how to do something with the PC that I cannot find any information on. I'm trying to teach myself to be a better digital illustrator. I want to open small windows of reference photos or tutorial videos over Coral Painter without covering them while I work within coral. For some reason I'm having a hard time describing what I'm trying to do. By default in windows, when you open a small window it gets hidden the second you click on in the full screen program (Coral Painter in this example).

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #673 on: September 07, 2016, 06:54:43 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how to do something with the PC that I cannot find any information on. I'm trying to teach myself to be a better digital illustrator. I want to open small windows of reference photos or tutorial videos over Coral Painter without covering them while I work within coral. For some reason I'm having a hard time describing what I'm trying to do. By default in windows, when you open a small window it gets hidden the second you click on in the full screen program (Coral Painter in this example).

http://www.howtogeek.com/196958/the-3-best-ways-to-make-a-window-always-on-top-on-windows/
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #674 on: September 07, 2016, 07:00:38 AM »

http://www.howtogeek.com/196958/the-3-best-ways-to-make-a-window-always-on-top-on-windows/

Thanks goflyblind. You found a solution minutes after I posted this. Your Google-foo is legendary.