Author Topic: The big thread of unsearchable questions  (Read 82097 times)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: The big thread of unsearchable questions
« Reply #645 on: December 26, 2014, 07:23:54 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if a store did a custom combination of cabinet and chassis.  If someone wanted the nicer dial but couldn't afford the more expensive electronics.  And people often modified them because they were a piece of furniture in the home so it's also not surprising to see legs cut down.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 407
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #646 on: September 07, 2015, 05:15:25 PM »
I need to find a screenshot from Pokemon Red or Blue of what it says to you when you try to ride a bike indoors. I cannot find such an image.
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #647 on: September 07, 2015, 05:27:59 PM »
I need to find a screenshot from Pokemon Red or Blue of what it says to you when you try to ride a bike indoors. I cannot find such an image.

Worst comes to worst you could download a rom and take a screenshot.  Though I guess you'd have to play the game for a while until you get the bike, if I remember correctly. 

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #648 on: September 07, 2015, 06:09:08 PM »
Huh. For a game moment that's been so completely memed, the screenshot of Oak's disembodied voice letting you know it's not the time to use that is really hard to get a hold of...

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #649 on: September 12, 2015, 05:26:21 PM »
there does not appear to be a travel thread, so: anyone been to inverness? thinking of going for a week at the end of october.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Nobody

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 617
« Reply #650 on: December 03, 2015, 07:17:26 AM »
So, my friend is starting a small business as a confectioner.  She knows I'm obsessively trying to lose weight, but asked me to taste her latest creation.  So I tasted, but didn't swallow it.  :)

Her candy tastes exactly like a Butterfinger.  Chocolate covered crunchy peanut butter.  Frigging amazing, honestly.  She wants to add it to her lineup of items she will be selling, but can't think of a name for it.

So my question is this:  if you were gonna sell something that tastes a lot like a Butterfinger, and wanted people who are shopping at your place know that...  And didn't want to break any copyright laws...  What would you call it?

She asked me.  I'm stumped.  There are some very creative minds here, so I thought I would ask here.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #651 on: December 03, 2015, 07:30:18 AM »
Margarine Toes?  Look, I'm not the best guy to go for this.

How about Whoopsies?  You know, both are accident related and it's the kind of cute name a candy can have.

Offline Nobody

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 617
« Reply #652 on: December 03, 2015, 07:54:14 AM »
That's clever, and I agree, it's a cute name.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #653 on: December 03, 2015, 07:58:23 AM »
Thanks.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #654 on: December 06, 2015, 10:25:01 AM »
Does American Airlines charge you for not showing up for a flight? 

I just booked an earlier flight home than my original round trip ticket to Pittsburgh for Christmas using miles I had with Delta, because it turns out I don't need to spend that much time with my in-laws. 

Anyway, I call up American Airlines to cancel my return ticket.  Figured I should be nice and let them sell that seat to someone else even though I won't get a refund (non-refundable ticket).  Yeah, I'm a real nice guy like that.  Except instead of saying thank you, they try and charge me $200 just to cancel my flight.  At which point I ask, "Well wait, what happens if I don't show up for the flight?"  To which she stuttered and said "Ah, well, umm, I can't answer that question sir."  So to quote a friend of mine: fuck that noise.  I said thanks, I'll keep the ticket, and then hung up. 

I'm pretty sure nothing happens if you're a no-show.  And I'm half inclined to be a dick about it and check-in for my flight so they don't sell it to someone else.  Assholes, trying to charge me $200 to let them make more money.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #655 on: December 06, 2015, 11:12:34 AM »
don't they take the money when you originally buy the ticket? that's what it looks like on my credit card statement whenever i've bought a ticket. and i'm sure they'd definitely charge you if you've checked in.

edit: as per https://www.aa.com/i18n/reservations/faqEtsMcla.jsp

Q: When will the ticket value be charged to my credit card?

A: It will be charged when the ticket is issued*.

* In some countries, any credit card payment will be charged in the local currency at the IATA exchange rate of that day. For specific information about your country, contact your local Reservations office.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 11:16:56 AM by goflyblind »
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #656 on: December 06, 2015, 12:03:50 PM »
don't they take the money when you originally buy the ticket? that's what it looks like on my credit card statement whenever i've bought a ticket. and i'm sure they'd definitely charge you if you've checked in.

edit: as per https://www.aa.com/i18n/reservations/faqEtsMcla.jsp

Q: When will the ticket value be charged to my credit card?

A: It will be charged when the ticket is issued*.

* In some countries, any credit card payment will be charged in the local currency at the IATA exchange rate of that day. For specific information about your country, contact your local Reservations office.

You don't quite grasp the stupidity of the situation. I've already lost the money for the ticket. You're right, they charged me upon purchase. I know that, and I'm fine with biting the bullet. It was my choice to buy a non-refundable ticket.

But the airline wants to charge me ANOTHER $200 just to cancel my ticket, for the whole minute it will take them to press a couple buttons. So I reiterate: fuck that noise.

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #657 on: December 07, 2015, 09:41:31 AM »
Yes but...are they going to REFUND the first ticket with the cancellation?  Because then it might be worth it, say if the ticket was 600, they charge 200 and give you 400 back. 

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #658 on: December 07, 2015, 09:55:43 AM »
Yes but...are they going to REFUND the first ticket with the cancellation?  Because then it might be worth it, say if the ticket was 600, they charge 200 and give you 400 back.

Nope. No chance of any sort of refund. They just wanted to charge me $200 for the hell of it, because they can.

And plus, my round trip ticket was like $260. They would have basically sold one ticket 3 times if I was a little more gullible.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #659 on: December 07, 2015, 12:24:25 PM »

Nope. No chance of any sort of refund. They just wanted to charge me $200 for the hell of it, because they can.

And plus, my round trip ticket was like $260. They would have basically sold one ticket 3 times if I was a little more gullible.
Those ivory backscratchers don't buy themselves.