login

Author Topic: Alan Wake (360)  (Read 995 times)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3541
  • All joking a salad.
Alan Wake (360)
« on: May 19, 2010, 07:35:54 AM »
Holy crap.  This looks cool.  They're saying that this game is an homage to Stephen King, Twin Peaks, X-Files, and Lost.

They made some prequel webisodes that are better than most shows on TV right now.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4DSR45ZF0r8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4DSR45ZF0r8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0</a>

Has anyone played this yet?  It's on my gamefly queue, but I wish they had a demo.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: Alan Wake (360)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 11:41:24 AM »
From the reviews that I've seen:

*Very interesting story
*Great visuals
*A little short
*Some are reporting that they found the gameplay to be repetitive

There's  also a small bit of product placement in the game, but most reviews that I've seen have mentioned that they're jumping out of their seats about once per episode. And the reviews are ranged from a 100 from Escapist, to a 60 from Wired, but overall, they're pretty favorable.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 122
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 01:41:15 AM »
Really enjoying Alan Wake so far, very cool game. Also liked that live-action prequel Bright Falls, spooky stuff.

Yeah, I've been hyped for this game for years, it was first announced at E3 2005. Made by Remedy, those talented Finland folk who made Max Payne and its sequel.

So far, the gameplay is very straight forward and linear, but the atmosphere and story are top notch. Also really enjoying the classy narration with great voice acting, much like in Max Payne, it draws me in.

Pretty much, these guys are great storytellers, and video games happen to be their medium.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:11:15 AM »
Shame is I won't be able to play this, since it was decided it could only be "properly immersive" on the 360 and they passed on the PC version...which I assume is properly translated into "Damn PCs and the pirate community, you losers deserve NOTHING!  Bow before the console market, suckers!"
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3541
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 01:06:41 PM »
So, I got this over the weekend, and I've really been enjoying it.  I'm about half-way through Episode 3.  I really like the way the game is structured like a TV show.  I also like how this game changes so well between terror and restfulness.  I've tried Resident Evil and Silent Hill, but I didn't really like them because you didn't get much of a break in the terror.  Movies don't really scare me at all, but scary video games seem to do the trick.

Offline Cumcarl

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 01:59:30 PM »
Really enjoying Alan Wake so far, very cool game. Also liked that live-action prequel Bright Falls, spooky stuff.<a href="http://www.hostpicture.info/files/2.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.hostpicture.info/files/2.swf</a>

Yeah, I've been hyped for this game for years, it was first announced at E3 2005. Made by Remedy, those talented Finland folk who made Max Payne and its sequel.

So far, the gameplay is very straight forward and linear, but the atmosphere and story are top notch. Also really enjoying the classy narration with great voice acting, much like in Max Payne, it draws me in.

Pretty much, these guys are great storytellers, and video games happen to be their medium.

Thanks for your "review".

I'm about to buy this game, from the ingame and game trailers I've seen it sure is quite a good game!
Plus, 2 friends are addicted to this  ;D They just keep talking about Alan Wake stuff

Offline warofthebees

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • How to greet Michael Bay
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 05:53:06 PM »
Movies don't really scare me at all, but scary video games seem to do the trick.

SAme with me.  I think the reasoning is that with a movie, you can close your eyes and look away (as long as your friends don't see you do so, ha ha) until the frightening part is over.  With a game, you're forced to watch, because otherwise your character will die and you'll just have to do it over again. 

By the way, scariest game ever:  Fatal Frame (the first one).  I just have to let people know about it.
I like artificial grape flavor, but I hate real grapes.  A paradox!?