login

Author Topic: The classic Doctor Who thread.  (Read 8184 times)

Doctor Who?

Re: The classic Doctor Who thread.
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 08:21:23 AM »
Is anyone planning on getting the Revenge of the Cybermen DVD? I think it'd be worth it for the info that could be shared about the mishaps that occurred in the caverns they shot part of it in. According to Wikipedia sources:

The location filming at Wookey Hole was plagued by a series of problems which the crew blamed on a curse. The curse apparently was brought about when the production staff found a small rock formation that the locals called "The Witch". Despite warnings, they proceeded to put a witch hat and cloak on it. The assistant floor manager suffered a severe attack of claustrophobia, another crew member fell ill, and an electrician suffered a broken leg when a ladder collapsed. During the scene when Sarah Jane rides one of the water skimmers, the boat went wild and Sladen was forced to jump off, treading water despite heavy boots until her rescue by Terry Walsh, the programme's longtime stuntman. Both required precautionary vaccinations at a local hospital but were otherwise unhurt.

I am planning on getting it.

Revenge of the Cybermen is one of my favorite stories.  It's not perfect but I do enjoy it and it was the first Tom Baker story I ever saw.

Also the reason the DvDs don't cone down in price is because new contracts with all the actors involved have to be paid for(back in the day their contracts did not include home video sales)also the restorations cost too.

I for one don't mind paying more for the Doctor Who discs since they are always the best looking and most extra packed discs of any kind on the market.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 08:45:48 AM »
I rent a lot of Doctor Who discs off of Netflix.

Now that I have a job again I am trying to catch up on buying them,but I am almost two years behind so it is going to take a while.

I have to say Doctor Who and The Simpsons are really the only tv show DvDs that are must buys for me because they always look good and have great extras.

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 06:17:03 PM »
You really can't go wrong with Season 14.

Or Season 7.  Or Season 26, provided you fast-forward through all the parts of Battlefield that Mordred and Morgaine are in.

Getting back to this, Season 7 gets the nod over Season 14 for me because ALL of Season 7's stories are classics.  Now, three of the stories in Season 14 are classics as well (Assassin, Robots, and Talons), and 2 of the others are damn good.  But I don't care quite so much for The Face of Evil.  Wasted potential as far as I can see.  I really don't know why I didn't enjoy it more than I did, but I just feel like it adds up to less than the sum of its parts.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:53:32 PM by The Doctor (BBQ Platypus) »
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2010, 06:30:45 PM »
Just watched The Space Museum, well that was  erm, yeah.

Like the little featurette says "it doesn't even have the decency of having been wiped" still kudos to the bunch of them for doing that mostly live.

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2010, 06:56:09 PM »
I just finished watching The Deadly Assassin on Sunday--first time I've seen this one all the way through, though I have vague memories of some of the milling around in robes bits from when I was a wee lad.

It could've been really great, but instead was only mediocre--all the stuff in the "matrix" was really really bad. Not badly done, per se, just...boring.  It took us -away- from the action and was way way too extended.

I liked Borusa and the Castellan quite a bit, and Crispy/Juicy Master (though not Geoffrey Beevers) was good. 

Special features were only so-so on this one; one of them was devoted entirely to The Manchurian Candidate. Not wholly inappropriate, but kind of...odd.  Oh, and the "crawl" at the front of episode 1 was positively bizarre, but I guess it had to be done since there was no companion for him to verbalize any of that to.

I hold the opposite opinion.  The bits in the Matrix were my favorite part - rather than simply continuing on with a by-the-numbers murder mystery story for episodes 3 and 4, it makes the story into what it really ought to be about - a battle of wills.  Really, the only other option available to Robert Holmes was to make it a three-parter.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 05:52:24 PM »
Wooooooooooooooooooo.

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2011, 05:17:47 PM »
Okay, can someone explain to me what's so great about Fury from the Deep?  I just don't understand the insane amount of love that story gets.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »
Based on what little we have of it it is hard to judge,but it seems to have high production values,a very creepy scene,and the cast in top form. It may not be the best but it sure hit all the right notes to be a good story.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5911
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 07:24:40 PM »

What is worse is that by the end of the 80s they were not even a threat of any kind.  If you touched a Cyberman with gold he died.  At least in Revenge and Earthshcok they had to really rub the gold in their and then all it did was make then stumble around,they could still kill you if you didn't shoot them first.

I am still waiting for the Cybermen to get their own Dalek.  that is the story that makes them a real threat in the Doctor Who Universe again.

Wait, they were weak against gold?  Huh?  Why?  We're they Golden Age comic book heroes?  "Gold, my one weakness!"  (Super-heroes don't seem to have many ridiculous weaknesses anymore.  I kind of miss that.)

I'm not sure what you mean in the second paragraph.  Do you mean you think Cybermen, should convert Daleks?  Has that ever happened?  After all, Daleks are organic under their condiment shells...

BTW, a while back I watched two classic stories: the incredible City of Death and the underwhelming but still charming Androids of Tara.  The latter has some good dialogue, but it almost feels like the sci-fi stuff is tacked on.  I know that it's an homage to Prisoner of Zenda, but the android stuff seems almost... kinda pointless.  Oh, since there were two doubles of two characters, they could have played it as more of a farce.  After all, the story was pretty lightweight as it was (I think it should have been a three parter) and it seems the piece of the key of time didn't play a big role, so they should have had more fun with confusing who is who and just take it to a ludicrous extreme.

BTW, AV Club is doing a weekly review of classic Dr. Who.  check it out.  The reviewer's pretty hard on Tomb of the Cybermen (understandably), but he does point out some of it's strong points, including the speech that really sums up what makes the show great.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/tvshow/doctor-who-classic,186/

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2011, 07:49:09 PM »
He means the story simply called Dalek, which was the first appearance of the shrieking pepperpots in the new series.  :)

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »
What is worse is that by the end of the 80s they were not even a threat of any kind.  If you touched a Cyberman with gold he died.  At least in Revenge and Earthshock they had to really rub the gold in their and then all it did was make then stumble around,they could still kill you if you didn't shoot them first.

The old joke, if I recall correctly, was that it was only a matter of time before all you would need to do would be to say the word "gold" and they would die.

Had this carried over into the new series, they would explode upon contact with the music of Murray Gold.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:57:28 PM by The Doctor (BBQ Platypus) »

Doctor Who?

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2011, 05:24:43 AM »
What is worse is that by the end of the 80s they were not even a threat of any kind.  If you touched a Cyberman with gold he died.  At least in Revenge and Earthshock they had to really rub the gold in their and then all it did was make then stumble around,they could still kill you if you didn't shoot them first.

The old joke, if I recall correctly, was that it was only a matter of time before all you would need to do would be to say the word "gold" and they would die.

Had this carried over into the new series, they would explode upon contact with the music of Murray Gold.

:D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

We need a youtube video of scenes of Cybermen exploding and the only sound being Murray Gold's music.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5911
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »
What is worse is that by the end of the 80s they were not even a threat of any kind.  If you touched a Cyberman with gold he died.  At least in Revenge and Earthshock they had to really rub the gold in their and then all it did was make then stumble around,they could still kill you if you didn't shoot them first.

:D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

We need a youtube video of scenes of Cybermen exploding and the only sound being Murray Gold's music.

Or being destroy by solid gold dancers or be seen buying a goldfish and exploding.  For some reason, the thought of a Cyberman in a pet store with holding a baggy full of water with a little fish in it is amusing to me.

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2011, 11:28:34 PM »
The latest story in my summer marathon: The Time Monster.  Completely, utterly bonkers from start to finish.  I pretty much had a grin on my face the whole time.  So naturally, my first reaction after it was over was "I'll bet the rest of the fandom absolutely hates it!"  So I went on the Doctor Who Ratings Page and found that I was right.

Bah, I say!  They're all a bunch of po-faced bores, if you ask me.  Then again, I'm the guy who likes The Underwater Menace, so what do I know?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 11:37:50 PM by The Doctor (BBQ Platypus) »

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7129
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2012, 07:33:13 AM »
i watched revenge of the cybermen this morning and i kept expecting the vogans to recite poetry at sarah jane and harry. stupid homophones.
dF = 0
d*F = J