Author Topic: The classic Doctor Who thread.  (Read 8181 times)

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
Re: The classic Doctor Who thread.
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 11:36:34 PM »
Another controversial opinion to go with my Time Warrior one: Earthshock is a senselessly violent and thoroughly unpleasant experience with absolutely no worthwhile substance to back up its grit.  Worse, it comes across as having a pro-violence, pro-military ethos that goes against everything Doctor Who stands for.  None of the characters are likable.  The Cybermen bear so little in common with the Cybermen of Tenth Planet, Tomb, etc. that if it weren't for the "well-cooked meal" monologue they might as well be Sontarans.  Also, the dialogue is for shit.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:39:38 PM by BBQ Doctorpus »
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 07:21:15 AM »
But, but, but it offs Adric, that's got to win it a few points.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2911
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 06:19:01 PM »
Been wanting to watch Horror of Fang Rock again so picked up the DVD, listening to the commentary and the featurettes on the disk it seems everyone making it didn't like it, I've always thought it was a good one.

Also picked up a few on iTunes: The Three Doctors, The Arc of Infinity, Time and the Rani, Ghost Light.

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Liked: 1
  • *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 04:24:10 PM »
I went through netflix and added as many dvd's of episodes featuring the first doctor to my queue. Now I'm having to resort to tracking down those serials that aren't listed there.   It'll be interesting to see how much of the show I can view to get up to speed.  Any bets on how many seasons I can get through before the mafia game starts, Hmmmmmmmm?

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 03:59:51 PM »
Just finished watching Ghost Light.  I watched it once, then I went back and watched it again because of how incredibly dense and often confusing it is.  It didn't, however, stop me from enjoying it.  Of course, I've always had a soft spot for the really weird stories.

Ghost Light was the first time I saw how thematic unity and strong characters could compensate for an incoherent plot and lack of explanations.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 01:09:51 PM »
Just finished watching Ghost Light.  I watched it once, then I went back and watched it again because of how incredibly dense and often confusing it is.  It didn't, however, stop me from enjoying it.  Of course, I've always had a soft spot for the really weird stories.
Ghost Light was the first time I saw how thematic unity and strong characters could compensate for an incoherent plot and lack of explanations.
Ghost Light.  The strength of Ghost LightGhost Light.  Even its flaws are fascinating.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:45:49 PM by The Doctor (BBQ) »

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Liked: 1
  • *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 12:49:42 PM »
Well I should be getting the first 3 DVDs from season one (the classic version) sometime tomorrow.   Thus begineth my sojourn to catch up to the rest of you.  Speaking of catching up, 'Doctor' BBQ take a look in your rear view mirror, or pehaps more appropriately your TARDIS' viewscreen/communicator thingy ma bob...  *waves* yoo hoo!

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 10:44:25 PM »
You really can't go wrong with Season 14.

Or Season 7.  Or Season 26, provided you fast-forward through all the parts of Battlefield that Mordred and Morgaine are in.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 36
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2010, 11:15:34 PM »
I would say with the exception of Carnival of Monsters, all of the Third Doctor's run was great.  I'd say i prefer Pertwee over Tom Baker anyday.

And i just finished Season 25. I like how McCoy brings a bit more darkness to the role, not revealing his secrets, hiding behind goofy persona.  Almost like One with a bit of Two to fool people.

I definitely like Seven over Six.  Colin Baker wasn't a bad Doctor, he just had shit stories, low budget, and a shit producer dragging his run down.  I'd even go so far as to say i liked Six over Five.  Davidson wasn't bad either, but nothing in his run sticks out as memorable, especially after following Tom Baker long run.  Colin Baker's Doctor had a different tone, very arrogant and conceited, that kind of worked after Davidson's "affable charm", and Tom Baker's back-and-forth laid back to intensity thing he had going. 

All i need to watch now is Season 26, and i'll be all caught up.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 05:29:28 AM »
I would say with the exception of Carnival of Monsters, all of the Third Doctor's run was great.

What wrong with CoM? Those glove puppets are terrifying!

Doctor Who?

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 12:43:32 PM »
I used to think Underworld was the worst story ever but today I watched it on DvD for the first time and you know what I liked it quite a bit.  Maybe it's because all I had before was an old grainy VHS copy I had recorded off of PBS more then 10 years ago but this story looked much more impressive then I remembered it.

I don't think there is any thing wrong with ripping off Greek myths when the last producer ripped off horror movies. 

The CSO is really dated but in it's own way impressive,It gives us a world that is bigger then most of the ones that we saw in the classic series.  The spaceship looks pretty good for Doctor Who at this time.  Oh and I like the single camera work,it gives the show a more modern look.

If this story has a failing it's that Tom Baker looks bored in most of it,this may be down to him not liking the CSO.

All in all I have to say while it is not a favorite story now I no longer think it is the worst thanks to this DvD.

What do you think of Underworld?

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 36
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 03:36:41 PM »
While not the worst story, it was kind of ho-hum, especially with the Invasion of Time right after it.  And while the use of CSO can be forgiven, they WAY overused it on this serial, and this was when Doctor Who had a budget. 

I like near the beginning on the R1C, where the Doctor mentions why the Time Lords try not to get involved, witnessing the aftermath of the Minyan civil war. 

All in all, not a bad episode, and one where K-9 shines. 

Doctor Who?

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 06:04:19 PM »
They used CSO because of the budget.  They could not afford to built a set or go on location so they built a model of the caves and CSOed it.

I am not saying the story is perfect just that I enjoyed it.

One of the things I liked about the Williams years is that Williams had less to work with then most of the other producers but he did not let that stop the show from going anywhere and having big ideas.  I mean look at other times in the shows run including today. Every time the budget is cut The Doctor more or less gets grounded on modern day earth because that is a cheap place to go,except the Williams area.  We have stories on Pluto,we have timelord stories,we have underworld,we have a story about a planet that eats other planets.  I know some of the ideas don't completely work and I know it some times looks cheap but I love that the ideas are there and we go places other then Earth.  Williams is my second favorite area of the show right after Lambert's.

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Dragon of Light
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 07:46:29 AM »
 Is anyone planning on getting the Revenge of the Cybermen DVD? I think it'd be worth it for the info that could be shared about the mishaps that occurred in the caverns they shot part of it in. According to Wikipedia sources:

The location filming at Wookey Hole was plagued by a series of problems which the crew blamed on a curse. The curse apparently was brought about when the production staff found a small rock formation that the locals called "The Witch". Despite warnings, they proceeded to put a witch hat and cloak on it. The assistant floor manager suffered a severe attack of claustrophobia, another crew member fell ill, and an electrician suffered a broken leg when a ladder collapsed. During the scene when Sarah Jane rides one of the water skimmers, the boat went wild and Sladen was forced to jump off, treading water despite heavy boots until her rescue by Terry Walsh, the programme's longtime stuntman. Both required precautionary vaccinations at a local hospital but were otherwise unhurt.
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Dragon of Light
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 08:03:43 AM »
Answered above you. :)

I know. I was just pasting this from the Nu Who thread before deleting it and didn't want to retype it.
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?