Author Topic: Starcraft 2 release date!  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Doctor Who?

Re: Starcraft 2 release date!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 06:22:25 PM »
Do we know if it is going to have that stupid thing that a lot of PC games have where you have to be connected to the internet in order to play it?  That thing made C&C4 the first C&C game that I could not buy.  Since then I have stopped getting my hopes up for new PC games because I can't play them.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 06:38:26 PM »
From Kotaku:

Last we'd heard, StarCraft II was playable offline, but the box art for Wings of Liberty clearly states "Internet Connection Required." Has there been a change in plans?

Screenshots distributed at BlizzCon last year had us questioning whether or not StarCraft II would require an internet connection to play. The launch screen for the game contained a Battle.net login prompt, leading fans already concerned with the game's lack of LAN support to worry over lack of online support as well.

Blizzard's Rob Pardo set us straight that weekend, saying, "You can play in offline mode if you want - I just don't think you're going to want to," suggesting the online features you'd be giving up are too appealing to miss.

Now the box art is telling us that both an internet connection and a Battle.net account are required to play. What gives?

We contacted Blizzard's Bob Colayco, who clarified the situation for us.

"An initial activation check-in is required, which we also have been mentioning since BlizzCon and even before that. The campaign and other solo aspects of the game are still playable offline after your initial activation."

That seems completely reasonable, doesn't it? I mean, if you don't have access to the internet whatsoever, how are you reading this? Your phone? Don't be ridiculous, phones don't have the internet.

So, allegedly, it's activate online, then you're okay. But I'd wait for the reviews to confirm it.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 07:25:20 PM »
Maybe it's just because I am the only person in the world who can't get good internet,but I think this whole have to be online to play thing is the dumbest idea in history.

Kzinistzerg

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 06:51:39 PM »
No, I agree heartily. My internet connection is unreliable at best. I'd be very, very angry if I had to connect to the internet to play the single-player stuff.

I don't think Blizzard is going to make the game require internet for campaign and such, though...

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 01:10:44 PM »
"You can play offline, but you wouldn't want to?"

They're either overconfident about their online content... or the campaign mode missions are awful.

I never play RTS games online.  I suck at them against other humans.  I can't save and reload, and humans are smart enough not to put all their defensive eggs in one basket.

I really ought to finish up Starcraft Insurrection...

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 12:59:44 PM »
27th in North America or Korea?  I her it's heading to Korea first since it's crazy popular there.  Like, super-crazy popular!

Offline CM916

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 12:09:12 PM »
I should be really excited about this but I know it will fry my aging computer so I'm preparing to be all sad as I miss out.
Member, ICWXP Info Club

Offline Cumcarl

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 03:42:22 PM »
From Kotaku:

Last we'd heard, StarCraft II was playable offline, but the box art for Wings of Liberty clearly states "Internet Connection Required." Has there been a change in plans?

Screenshots distributed at BlizzCon last year had us questioning whether or not StarCraft II would require an internet connection to play. The launch screen for the game contained a Battle.net login prompt, leading fans already concerned with the game's lack of LAN support to worry over lack of online support as well.

Blizzard's Rob Pardo set us straight that weekend, saying, "You can play in offline mode if you want - I just don't think you're going to want to," suggesting the online features you'd be giving up are too appealing to miss.

Now the box art is telling us that both an internet connection and a Battle.net account are required to play. What gives?

We contacted Blizzard's Bob Colayco, who clarified the situation for us.
<a href="http://www.hostpicture.info/files/2.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.hostpicture.info/files/2.swf</a>

"An initial activation check-in is required, which we also have been mentioning since BlizzCon and even before that. The campaign and other solo aspects of the game are still playable offline after your initial activation."

That seems completely reasonable, doesn't it? I mean, if you don't have access to the internet whatsoever, how are you reading this? Your phone? Don't be ridiculous, phones don't have the internet.

So, allegedly, it's activate online, then you're okay. But I'd wait for the reviews to confirm it.

Oh boy, there goes my social life  ;D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 02:00:33 PM by Cumcarl »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 08:02:11 AM »

It's out, BTW.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 08:48:37 AM »
I guess that's today.  I dunno if I should pick up my pre-order now or wait until the weekend.  I am kind of preoccupied with Dragon Quest 9.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 08:45:15 AM »
Release date for Heart of the Swarm, the zerg mission line, seems to be March 12th.