Author Topic: Best MST3K?  (Read 21736 times)

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 248
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Re: Best MST3K?
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2006, 07:57:18 PM »
Most accessible episode for new MSTies: The Pumaman

"Puma's... aren't really known for flying, are they?"

"Music by my brother's Casio!"

That one is a classic, even though - you're right - it probably is the most easily acceptable to bring people "into the fold," so to speak. And I agree with other posters here that Pod People definitely holds a place in my heart. "It stinks!"

Offline jammindude

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2006, 08:57:59 PM »
So many great episodes.....most of my favs have already been mentioned....but I thought I would give props to the one that hasn't..

"The Day The Earth Froze"

from which comes my all-time favorite MST3K quote...."The banjo becomes angry at midnight....WHAT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT????"
"Better the pride that resides
In a citizen of the world
Than the pride that divides
When a colorful rag is unfurled"
- Neil Peart from "Territories" by RUSH

Offline Chrysolithos

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2006, 09:45:54 PM »
No one has mentioned MANOS: The 'HANDS' of fate? How can this be? And watching Santa fight Satan has become a holiday favorite at my house.

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2006, 09:56:55 PM »
Personallly one of my favs is Zombie Nightmare.

"Im to dreaming to remember groceries"

And Escape 2000

'Heres a little taste of the weather in New Mexico"

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1701
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2006, 10:15:11 PM »
I agree.  Puman man is always the episode I show to people who are new to MST.  I have converted many people with that famous Aztec belt salesmen.  "I hate it when Aztecs force themselves into your hotel room and make you try on belts."  I've found it has the least amount of obscure pop references.  The jokes are generally just making fun of the movie, which makes it perfect for new comers.  Some of the earlier episodes are full of random references to people, which I find hilarious, but fly over the head of some of my friends. 

Offline Rube_Maroon

• Schnappi Supporter
  • You guys watch Joe Don Baker movies?
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2006, 11:10:52 PM »
No one has mentioned MANOS: The 'HANDS' of fate? How can this be? And watching Santa fight Satan has become a holiday favorite at my house.

Rooting for Manos is like rooting for the Yankees. Some things are just a given. We're talking about second place here.

Offline Otis

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2006, 06:42:54 AM »
The best episode of all time has to be episode 612 - Starfighters...first crow trying to get onto the "information super highway" on his standard multimedia package is fricken classic! Then the extremely hilarious Cowboy Mike's Red Hot Rich-o-chet BBQ Sauce!!!....It's EXTRA BOLD!!! Not recommended for human consumption! Ofcourse the feature, who doesnt love a bad airforce flick being made fun of...This has never happened to me before...over. - I could go on and on...I watch that episode all the time...soooo funny...

Starfighters is my favorite too...and I thought I was the only one. I can watch that one over and over.

Poopie Suit!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2006, 07:10:24 AM »
Oh no, Starfighters is a gem. One of my very favorite bits is where the two couples are in a parked car but you only see the couple in the front seat talking. So Mike & the bots speculate about what the couple in the back seat is doing, and one of the bots start making squeaky bedspring noises. That was one of the funniest things I've ever heard in any MSTed movie! Classic.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2006, 08:17:59 AM »
Gosh, it's hard to choose.

The one I keep going back to is Space Mutiny

All the great names for Mr. "Works-out-too-much" Reb Brown!

Big McLargeHuge

Well, HO HO, ho.

Ooh my pantyhose are itchy! Pantyhose are itchy! Itchy itchy itchy!

A close second would be The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Died and Became Mixed-Up Zombies

...and now, over to see what Harold thinks... And now... Harold.

Hey, I saw the snausage there, Hank.

Madison!

And the movie is brilliant.

...sort this, deliver that, I'll make them all PAY!

nanu.

Ah, my Nils Bohr swimsuit calendar's finally arrived!

I'm NOT an alien.

In to the weenie mobile... WEENIE MAN AWAY!!!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 10:53:55 AM by kodiakthejuggler »

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 248
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2006, 10:00:04 AM »

I finally downloaded this one (hadn't seen it before, somehow... but I have seen Santa conquer some crazy Martians..) and yeah, I gotta say, I'm blown away at how funny it is. I was crying from laughing so hard. The "coughing" gag whenever there is smoke onscreen somehow never gets old for me.

Offline WouTar

• Big Montana
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2006, 10:08:03 AM »
...leave the bronx,
leave the bronx,
leave the bronx,
leave the bronx,
leave the bronx,
 LEAVE THE BRONX,
 LEAVE THE BRONX

Offline Bob M.

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Think you can take me? Well, go ahead on.
    • Bob M. Montgomery Images
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2006, 11:08:22 AM »
Our little gang of MSTies have pondered this question over the years, pretty regularly. Two of us share a complete collection of episodes (except the elusive-like-Robert-Denby KTMA1-3, of course), and even our tastes change from time to time. We've had an easy time picking our top ten or top 15, but even picking a top 5 is such a fluid, changing thing, depending on what we watched last and what our moods might be.

I think, generally, my favorites, still to this day are Space Mutiny, Time Chasers (I'm from Vermont, and it never ceases to make me cry with laughter, especially the credits), Manos, Mitchell, Jack Frost, Santa Claus, Prince of Space, Pod People, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, and Cave Dwellers.

But there are another 25 that easily could slide into that list on any given day.

However, if I were shot into space and forced to watch one MST3k for years on end, it would be... Time Chasers.

So, when the sequel comes out (and it is coming out), I fully expect Mike to assemble a crack team of Riffers for a full on, comedic assault on Time Chasers II: The Wrath of Pink Boy.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 11:10:36 AM by bobodante »
Bob M. Montgomery Images
Fine Art and Commision Photography
http://www.BMMImages.com/

Offline Joe Don Faker

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2006, 11:18:51 AM »
Time Chasers is one of the very best.  I'd have to put it up against Space Mutiny for my favorite "Mike" episode... 

The skinny donut-chinned Nick Miller would board his time transport, while Dirk Hardback gets to man his futuristic golf cart.  Now at first glance you might think Slab Bulkhead would win this fight just by brute force.  But Nick would summon a bunch of future selves and gang up on poor McLargehuge. 

Also remember, Nick is a "life-wrecking idiot" whose mere proximity could get Bulk fired from his protein-powder salesman job.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3693
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2006, 11:52:38 AM »
I like the episodes where they took on more kiddie-fare type movies. Santa Claus and Santa Claus Conquers the Martians were both great, as was Jack Frost. :^)

Were there any other MST3Ks that took on movies like that?

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2006, 10:36:48 PM »
   Thanks to Otis and Wurwolf for mentioning Starfighters.  Mike and the bots exhaustive work on the refueling jokes was only topped for me by the pilots meeting the girl from Iowa. (Guess where I'm from.)  We are always aware of the high regard those in Minnesota hold for us Hawkeyes so the corn detasseling jokes crack up anybody I've ever played that episode for.  Isn't it also the only movie they ever did featuring a future politician??  At least until Mike does a Rifftrax on the Governator.
    Pakman,  I always had the feeling those Finnish/Russian movies like The Day The Earth Froze, The Magic Voyage of Sinbad and The Sword and the Dragon were intended for young kids.  I pulled out the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide to check those titles and ran across another one that should count...but does it really?  I've always wondered what they were thinking when they made The Painted Hills.  "Let's get Lassie, but she won't be playing Lassie."  "Yeah, and at the end she can intimidate the bad guy into falling to his death."