Author Topic: Best MST3K?  (Read 21521 times)

Offline Sophie

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
  • Time And Relative Dimension In Space
Re: Best MST3K?
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 05:46:39 AM »
Darkest movie ever riffed: The Brain that Wouldn't Die, or possibly The Incredible Melting Man
How can you forget High School Big Shot? Loser with alcoholic dad masterminds a drug money heist with the help of the mob to impress a girl away from her boyfriend. Heist goes wrong, girl and boyfriend die, loser gets shot and loser's dad hangs himself.

For various reasons I have to say that The Mole People is my favourite MST3K. I introduced a friend to MST3K with this episode and he loved it, and we still randomly spout lines from it more than any other. Plus I love Crow's fall from his Mile-High Meringue Pie, and laugh like a loon every time.
"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! *crash*

Offline Dondo

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2006, 04:45:46 PM »
The best riff wise I'd give to "Warrior of the Lost World" with "Rocketship X-M" a very close second

Best overall is a toughie but I'd put "Operation Double 007", "Prince of Space" and "Godzilla Vs. Megalon" in the elite catagory

A personal favorite is "Rocket Attack USA" as it was the first episode I ever saw and I was hooked immediately
Flag on the moon

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2006, 05:44:03 PM »
i find myself watching
overdrawn at the memory bank
jack frost
time chasers
agent from h.a.r.m.
prince of space

the most often

Offline Skiptastic

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Riffer Madness
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2006, 06:13:01 AM »
Best Least awful movie ever riffed: Danger Diabolik

I give that title to Season 4's The Magic Sword.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2006, 06:52:30 AM »
My first post, everybody. Be gentle with me.

There are so many to choose from but my favorite CC era ep is Mitchell. I love the sense of history of that ep, Joel passing the baton to Mike, and I love the movie and the riffs. Good stuff.

My favorite Sci Fi era ep is Space Mutiny. Awesome riffs! "You're getting a lump of coal." "Didja see my butt?"
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Joe Don Faker

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2006, 07:21:47 AM »
Welcome wurwolf.  We were wondering where you were.

The Mitchell - Space Mutiny combo plate has been seconded in the thread by Tarantulas, RandyMistie, and leeving.  I'm chiming in too now because, yeah those are probably my favorites too.

I think it means we like to see our heroes first shoot an unknown guy on a golf course, then let out a girly scream and jump from the moving golf cart.

Offline JonnyFrag

• Big Montana
  • Bad Movie Historian
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2006, 08:43:32 AM »
Best overall episode, based on host segments and riffs as a total package: Prince of Space
Best riffing: Touch of Satan or Space Mutiny
Best Joel era: Pod People or Godzilla v Megalon
best short: Progess Island USA

CC vs SciFi    = SciFi by a nose when compared to season 6 and 7.
Some shows tend to get lame or run out of steam , especially after being on the air for an extended number of years. MST3K actually did the opposite. They got more and more tuned and turned out more consistenly good work as the years rolled on.
Grapes? I hate grapes, I can't stand grapes. I loathe grapes. All kinds of grapes. I hate green grapes and I hate purple grapes. I hate grapes with seeds, I hate grapes without seeds. I hate them peeled and nonpeeled. I hate them in bunches, one at a time and in small groups of twos and threes.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 124
  • Hello!
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2006, 08:45:44 AM »
Welcome, wurwolf.  I might add that the episode your name is based on is another of my favorites, "Werewolf", probably the worst werewolf movie ever made.  Also, the host segment, "Where O' Werewolf" is one of my favorite MST3K songs.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 124
  • Hello!
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2006, 09:02:51 AM »
Best overall episode, based on host segments and riffs as a total package: Prince of Space
Best riffing: Touch of Satan or Space Mutiny
Best Joel era: Pod People or Godzilla v Megalon
best short: Progess Island USA

CC vs SciFi    = SciFi by a nose when compared to season 6 and 7.
Some shows tend to get lame or run out of steam , especially after being on the air for an extended number of years. MST3K actually did the opposite. They got more and more tuned and turned out more consistenly good work as the years rolled on.

I have to agree with you that it just got better over the years.  I would say that the show was cancelled really pre-maturely, and needlessly as it was probably the least expensive show Sci-Fi ever produced.  They had high quality for dirt cheap which is usually the Holy Grail of any network, I was dumbfounded when they tossed it.  And, for what?  More crappy "Sci-Fi Original Movies" which is code for a bunch of "direct-to-DVD Canadian flicks that were collecting dust in a warehouse in Quebec".  Bah!!  Don't get me started...

(BTW: That was not a knock against Canada, one of my favorite places, just Canadian movies, which, really... you have to admit, rarely get much better than "Final Sacrifice"... not that Hollywood is cranking out the gems lately, mind you... anyways... carry on)
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2006, 10:10:11 AM »
Welcome wurwolf.  We were wondering where you were.

Thanks -- you were? How many people are here from the Duh (which I miss more than I can say)? I was directed to this place by She of the Magnificent Rack, LadyKenobi. Stupid me, I've been all over the Rifftrax site and never knew there was a forum here until she told me. It only says so on the front page!  :-

My husband might agree with you, JonnyFrag, on your choice of Prince of Space, but I could never get into the Japanese movies. Maybe it was the cultural thing, maybe the black & white, but I thought they were just okay. I did, however, like the riffs about Prince of Space bouncing around like a fey superhero. Also: you said "total package"..... heh heh heh.

As far as shorts go, it's a toss-up between Jr. Rodeo Daredevils and Are You Ready for Marriage.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline canzona

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Ah, Mercury, sweetest of the transitional metals..
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2006, 10:20:28 AM »
Yeah, as everyone says, it's tough to tie it down. This Island Earth is definitely a classic, and Mitchell is brilliantly riffed as well. I thought Manos wasn't very good, and the only movie in all of MST-dom that was so bad that I couldn't watch it even with the bots and Mike's commentary was Hobgoblins. That shit is awful.

But I think my favorite Joel episode is "Sidehackers" or "Skydivers".
And my favorite Mike is probably "Diabolique" or "Space Mutiny". Big McLargehuge. CLASSIC!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2006, 10:23:49 AM »
That's another good topic, one that I don't know has been addressed in this forum: Most Unwatchable MST Ever. For me, that's easy: Brute Man. I never did get all the way through that one because it was so awful. Even the riffing couldn't save it for me. Also, Squirm is one I've watched through once and then no more. I can't take all those worms -- eeeeeeeeeeee!
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline JonnyFrag

• Big Montana
  • Bad Movie Historian
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2006, 10:25:05 AM »
The logical idea there is to have let them riff the 'SciFi Original Movies' but of course I think the filmmakers skins were collectively too thin to allow that. If any current movies are ripe for riffing in the traditional MST3K mold, it's them.
Grapes? I hate grapes, I can't stand grapes. I loathe grapes. All kinds of grapes. I hate green grapes and I hate purple grapes. I hate grapes with seeds, I hate grapes without seeds. I hate them peeled and nonpeeled. I hate them in bunches, one at a time and in small groups of twos and threes.

Offline TheJastrom

• Blue Beer Drinker
    • Nowhere in Mulberry
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2006, 10:29:45 AM »
I'll always love 'Riding with Death' "Hey Cupcake, go get Twinky the Kid and Fruitpie the Magician!"
Co-Host of Nowhere in Mulberry The Weekly Podcast Commentary of Film, Television and Pop Culture!

Offline JonnyFrag

• Big Montana
  • Bad Movie Historian
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2006, 10:33:37 AM »
That's another good topic, one that I don't know has been addressed in this forum: Most Unwatchable MST Ever. For me, that's easy: Brute Man. I never did get all the way through that one because it was so awful. Even the riffing couldn't save it for me. Also, Squirm is one I've watched through once and then no more. I can't take all those worms -- eeeeeeeeeeee!

I remember watching Squirm when I was a kid on my local station's weekend of bad movies. That was one of my personal favorites, because I already liked the movie. But then again, my tastes on films generally run in the awful.
Anyone else remember those old local weekend movies? On Saturdays, they would have 3 movies. First up an Abbott and Costello or Ma and Pa Kettle movie. Next varied, but they did show plenty of old Jerry Lewis movies in this slot. Then the third was even more all over the map, but alot of times it was some bad 70s horror like Squirm or Gargoyles. They played SSsssss (with Dirk Benedict) alot as well.
Sundays I never watched because it was Westerns and or War movies. Alot of old Spaghetti Westerns, John Wayne movies or anything with Lee Marvin. They also played Dog Day Afternoon a TON. Must have payed alot for the broadcast rights to that because they wore the tape out.

Good television back in the day.

Started a seperate "Most Unwatchable MST3K" thread out in the main area so that it could get the proper attention without getting muddled in here.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 10:35:19 AM by JonnyFrag »