login

Author Topic: Sequel(s) Info  (Read 8165 times)

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 5
Sequel(s) Info
« on: April 25, 2010, 05:35:01 PM »
So here's the sequel info we have so far:

http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Avatar_2

I love the idea of Quaritch possibly having been cloned. That would kick ass if he came back.

http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Avatar_3

Can't say I'm thrilled that the 2nd movie will be filmed before his adaptation of Battle Angel Alita, but then again, I just wanna see Motorball in 3D, so whatever.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
Re: Sequel(s) Info
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »
I love the idea of Quaritch possibly having been cloned. That would kick ass if he came back.

If they can clone him, then why didn't they clone the twin brother that the avatar was originally made for....instead of getting what's his name?

Offline Indomitus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
  • Hang on, gotta answer my iPOG
    • vox.neoleo.net  (a work in progress)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 06:11:12 PM »
If they can clone him, then why didn't they clone the twin brother that the avatar was originally made for....instead of getting what's his name?
Geez, don't ask that or they'll put up a wiki page fan-wanking it away.

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 06:19:22 PM »
Well, they did mention that the expedition was three weeks away from leaving when his brother died, so I'm guessing cloning doesn't take three weeks in the Avatar universe.

But whatever. I'm definitely watching if Quaritch returns.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 06:25:11 PM »

I wanna see his dead body brought back to life kind of like Shepard in Mass Effect 2 and permanently hooked into a battle exosuit called The Doomhammer.

Offline Blaine

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 06:38:23 PM »
Well, they did mention that the expedition was three weeks away from leaving when his brother died, so I'm guessing cloning doesn't take three weeks in the Avatar universe.

Trip was 5 years.

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 06:42:39 PM »

Trip was 5 years.

Jake's brother was killed by a mugger three weeks before the trip left. I'd assume the reason they didn't clone the brother was because the company had no time, and took a chance on recruiting Jake instead.

Offline Blaine

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 06:44:45 PM »

Trip was 5 years.

Jake's brother was killed by a mugger three weeks before the trip left. I'd assume the reason they didn't clone the brother was because the company had no time, and took a chance on recruiting Jake instead.

Sure. I'm just pointing out that they grew the Avatars on the trip to Pandora. The trip to Pandora was 5 years long. It's not like they had to clone his brother and get him into cryo-stasis. They could have just grown him on the way out.

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »

Trip was 5 years.

Sure. I'm just pointing out that they grew the Avatars on the trip to Pandora. The trip to Pandora was 5 years long. It's not like they had to clone his brother and get him into cryo-stasis. They could have just grown him on the way out.

...Dammit.

Anyways, I hope these guys make it into either sequel: http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Medusa

Medusae (Na'vi name: Fpxafaw or Lonataya) are large jellyfish-like creatures that live in the skies of Pandora.

Drifting over the mountaintops of Pandora, these deadly and beautiful creatures look like the alien offspring of a Portuguese man-of-war and an adblimp. During mating season, regions of the southern continent of Australis are blackened by the shadow of the medusa swarm as it swirls in a dance of interlocking tentacles.

3D Dogoras. That would be so fucking awesome (If you have no idea what I'm talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogora_(1964_film))

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 07:21:32 PM »

Trip was 5 years.

Wasn't the problem that the brother had all that scientific learning?  Can you teach a still developing clone science and every other bit of education they need in 5 years?
On timeout

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 07:35:05 PM »
Wasn't the problem that the brother had all that scientific learning?  Can you teach a still developing clone science and every other bit of education they need in 5 years?

The twin brother was in stasis for the 5 year trip.  He didn't learn a thing.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 11:46:52 PM »
Just cast Arnold Schwarzenegger as the villain and have him release a barrage of bullets on the Na'vi while quipping, "You look a little blue."

:rimshot:

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 12:25:38 AM »

I never said he did.
On timeout

Offline Blaine

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 07:07:27 AM »
Can you teach a still developing clone science and every other bit of education they need in 5 years?

Yes.

... I mean, so far all of the other excuses are made-out-of-whole-cloth-pulled-out-of-hammerspace fiction. There's nothing that says "the fiction works this way, not that way". The fiction works, however the writer says it works.

So if they're cloning the Colonel, the narrative says cloning is possible. Without that added bit of info someone who said "Why didn't they just clone his brother" could have been met with scorn and dismissal: You can't just clone someone!!

But, turns out you can. Now "why didn't they just clone the brother" is a logical question within the narrative. If they introduce time travel, "why didn't they just go back in time to stop the mugger" becomes a logical question.

I'm sure the Col. won't be a completely different person just with the exact same body. Now he's a pediatrician who collects butterflies. He'll somehow know or remember, he'll be reprogramed. Then we go by the narrative. Reprogramming takes 10 years, 3 weeks, 2 days and 4 hours. Reprogramming is automatic, like putting in a DVD. It's whatever they say it is.

Jake is chosen for the job based only on his genetic make-up. I submit to you he's no better suited for the task than a xerox of his brother who lacks higher science education. Until the narrative says otherwise... It takes $5 billion and 1 dollars to make a clone and it's just cheaper to have his idiot brother pilot the $5 billion dollar Avatar. Someone spilled a Red Bull on the flash drive that had his brothers genome sequenced. Whatever the excuse will be.

Again, I harp on "reason" vs. "excuse". There are an infinite supply of excuses.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 07:41:59 AM »

I never said he did.

But you inferred that massive education in science would be necessary for the clone.  The twin got the bare minimum and was put in stasis and the corporation was fine with that so.....