Author Topic: Bret Michaels rushed to ICU!  (Read 2095 times)

MontyServo

Bret Michaels rushed to ICU!
« on: April 23, 2010, 02:22:45 PM »
Aww. man, this can't be good.  :'(

Bret and his family (especially his two little girls) will be in my thoughts and prayers tonight.  Stay strong, man!

MontyServo

Re: Bret Michaels rushed to ICU!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 03:15:50 PM »
From TMZ-

Bret Michaels doesn't just need good medical attention to survive his current condition -- he also needs luck.

According to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, people who don't receive proper medical treatment after suffering a subarachnoid hemorrhage have a 20% to 30% chance of experiencing a second bleed within the first month -- and the odds of surviving a second bleed are extremely slim.

Cedars states, "Recurrent bleeding has a 70% mortality rate."

Fortunately, Michaels is reportedly being treated in a capable medical center.

However, it appears as though Michaels is already beating the odds -- Cedars reports that roughly 1/3 of people who have a subarachnoid hemorrhage die during the hemorrhage because of extensive brain damage. Obviously, Michaels has already cleared that hurdle.

As for Michaels' treatment, Cedars warns, "Because of the ominous prognosis with delayed definitive therapy, referral to a center of excellence with experience in treating subarachnoid hemorrhage is imperative."

Man, I sure hope he is able to pull through this.

I really was into Poison back in high school (I was into a lot of the hair metal bands of the era).  But other than an occasional listen to their greatest hits CD, I hadn't really thought much about them over the years.  They were just another band from the past that I would give an occasional listen for nostalgia.

I never watched Rock Of Love.

But I do watch Celebrity Apprentice and Bret is one of the best things on that show this year.  He really comes across as such a down to earth guy, especially when compared to some of the assholes (both male and female) that have been on the show this year.  He seems like the type of guy you would want to hang out with and have a beer.

Get well soon Bret!

anais.jude

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 02:52:12 PM »
I also hope he recovers cause we don't need an upate to their behind the music

MontyServo

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 03:37:59 PM »
Despite reports last night that things were looking better, it has since come out that those reports were inaccurate.  The last thing I've seen was that they are still running tests and that Bret is in very bad shape.

I also hope he recovers cause we don't need an upate to their behind the music

I'm having a hard time figuring out the snark level of this statement.  There are two very different ways to read it. 

You could be sincere.  Or you could be making a joke at the expense of someone in pretty bad shape.

I don't think you would joke about something so serious, so I am going to assume that you are sincere.  You are correct,  that sort of update to the Poison Behind The Music would be very sad indeed.

Despite what anyone thinks of Poison or Rock Of love, Bret seems like a genuinely nice guy, and I hope things work out for him.

anais.jude

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 04:48:57 PM »
It was a little of both actually, making more fun of VH1 than Bret. If he passed, I would be very sad, but then VH1 would milk it....

MontyServo

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 05:01:51 PM »
It was a little of both actually, making more fun of VH1 than Bret. If he passed, I would be very sad, but then VH1 would milk it....

Oh yeah, I'm sure they would milk it for all they could get out of it.  Special edition DVD and all that.   :-\

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 05:36:28 PM »
Weird that the last episode of "Chelsea Lately" I saw was going on about how Trump was giving Michaels a hard time about what was under his bandana on "Celebrity Apprentice".....

Turns out he had some nasty stuff getting ready to happen under there.   :(

Hope he gets better soon.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 07:27:36 PM »
Well, I'm pulling for him, personally, but at the same time it's weird hearing bad music celebrity news that doesn't involve a heroin/cocaine overdose.  For somebody to have a real, honest-to-God medical complication in the music world is just...unheard of.  Well, ROCK world, anyway.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 07:59:42 PM »
Well, I'm pulling for him, personally, but at the same time it's weird hearing bad music celebrity news that doesn't involve a heroin/cocaine overdose.  For somebody to have a real, honest-to-God medical complication in the music world is just...unheard of.  Well, ROCK world, anyway.

Turns out that he had an emergency appendectomy a little while back and had to be in a special recovery facility because of his diabetes....

Be horrible if this hemorrhage has something to do with something they didn't catch during that procedure.

MontyServo

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 09:50:23 AM »
A new Sunday morning update from Bret's Facebook page:

Everyone at Michaels Entertainment would like to thank all fans and friends for their continued thoughts and prayers through this difficult time.

At this point Bret remains in ICU in critical condition. He is under 24 hour doctors care and supervision. We are hopeful that further tests will locate the source of the bleeding, which has still not been located. As we all know Bret is a fighter and we are hopeful that once all is complete the slurred speech, blurred vision and dizziness, etc. will be eliminated and all functions will return to normal.

More information will be posted as it becomes available.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 09:58:45 AM »
Michaels Entertainment?  When I'm dying I'm gonna hire a PR firm to handle it, not my family.
On timeout

MontyServo

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 10:11:14 AM »
Michaels Entertainment?  When I'm dying I'm gonna hire a PR firm to handle it, not my family.

It probably relieves the family of an additional burden, having Bret's support team in place to handle the media and the fans at a time like this.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 11:30:35 AM »

It probably relieves the family of an additional burden, having Bret's support team in place to handle the media and the fans at a time like this.

Yeah, I'm going to do this too.  Why so cynical?
On timeout

Offline The Lady Rommel

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 03:21:10 PM »
I also wonder if all his head injuries could have had something to do with it.  Remember at the Tony Awards when the curtain fell on him and everyone laughed?  Yeah.

He was also in a bad car accident.  And my friend remembers a few years ago when he got hurt when someone shot out the windows to his bus.
I don't see race.  People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I watch Antiques Roadshow.

MontyServo

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 03:25:28 PM »
Latest update from Bret's Facebook:

Talk of a full recovery is very good news!