4 (10.8%)
4 (10.8%)
2 (5.4%)
0 (0%)
1 (2.7%)
0 (0%)
2 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Rank the Blue World!  (Read 7215 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5324
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Rank the Blue World!
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:55:34 AM »
OK.. I gave it a 8

Not consistent but enough to enjoy it ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 02:45:43 AM by RVR II »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3229
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Rank the Blue World!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 12:11:17 PM »
Only listened to the intro so far, I think this is going to be a good one, who knew dis was a BSG fan?

Don't think I'll be able to wait for the time it takes to re-author (ducking will probably take over an hour on such a large file) so I'll be doing it the old fashioned way tonight using the ipod + portable speakers....

Offline byuni

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • I'm Bob Rifftrax!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 01:23:18 PM »
Damn you Google Street View!

Great rifftrax :)

Offline David

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 50
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 04:04:12 PM »
Only listened to the intro so far, I think this is going to be a good one, who knew dis was a BSG fan?

Haven't listened yet but I'm guessing he's rooting for the cylons?

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 08:59:51 PM »
A solid ten!  It's a nine for the comedy and a bonus point for going very very light on the anti CGI jokes.  I mean, they had more CGI jokes in the Titanic riff which at least took place on Earth.  So mega kudos for not going overboard with the obvious!

Maybe it was the long layoff, but this riff really made me laugh out loud a lot.  You know, there are smiling a lot riffs and then there are laughing out loud riffs.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 628
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 10:41:11 PM »
I gave it a 9.  The first half-to-full hour gave me a chuckle here or there.  It seemed like it was gonna be a solid 8 all the way through.  But then, when Neytiri showed up, it was a 10 for the next hour.  By the third hour ( ::)), it wasn't a 10, but it was still very good.  I was more interested in the action at the end than the riffs, but the jokes were fun just as well.  So, overall I gave it a very nice 9.  I just wonder had I broken it up into different viewings that maybe I would enjoy it more.  I dunno.  Such a looong movie.

Also, I have to give special credit to the guys for including jokes that include things such as the baby from Jim Henson's Dinosaurs sitcom, Duke Nukem Forever and Minkus from Boy Meets World.  I can't imagine them writing these jokes obviously aimed for a generation younger than them (i.e. me), but I have to give them major cred for putting so much faith in their supporting writers (and the writers themselves of course).  Who keeps contributing these very Gen X jokes?  Conor?  Sean Thomason?  I know there's a list somewhere.  I've got my eye on you, funny people!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:31:07 AM by stansimpson »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3989
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 10:49:32 PM »
Loved it. It didn't deliver consistently, but there was a nice flow to the humor, with the big uproarious laughter coming and going like the tide. Not a bad rhythm for 3 hours of riffing. Solid 8.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 11:46:45 PM »
That was pretty close to perfect, I haven't laughed that hard since the Star Wars Holiday Special, so have to give it a 10.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 04:29:39 PM »
If the AVATAR riff were compared to an individual episode of MST3K, which episode would be the most appropriate in terms of the style and tone of the humor?

Offline Blaine

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 07:00:30 PM »
I also gave it a 10, although it's not my favorite... they did a really good job of hitting most of my problems with the movie (I didn't care for it), although I wish they had mentioned some things that struck me as odd, like... Navi are a good size bigger than humans, though the box of matches Jake carries looks normal sized in his hands, the rifles always seem the same size if a human or navi is carrying it and apparently they had 2,000 navi sized throat microphones in that one trailer to equip for the final battle.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 07:57:53 PM »
I also gave it a 10, although it's not my favorite... they did a really good job of hitting most of my problems with the movie (I didn't care for it), although I wish they had mentioned some things that struck me as odd, like... Navi are a good size bigger than humans, though the box of matches Jake carries looks normal sized in his hands, the rifles always seem the same size if a human or navi is carrying it and apparently they had 2,000 navi sized throat microphones in that one trailer to equip for the final battle.

Good catch on the matches,  they also were a bit inconsistent in the size relationship between the navi and the humans sometimes, and the arrows and the humans.   For the guns I figured when as navi they were just hand carrying the big tripod mounted guns, and I only think the navi leaders were wearing the microphones.  It's never explained but I think all the avatars had those devices to record stuff as they walked around, or else how did they get the video back at the lab after Sully flew over the sacred tree.

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 11:20:04 PM »

Uh, that would be explained by "The humans made stuff to Na'vi scale in preparation for the mission." Like how they made oversize sets for the Hobbit scenes in Lord of the Rings. Notice the guns the humans were carrying were human-sized. I call that good planning by everyone involved with the avatar program.

...and now I want a giant box of matches. Dammit.

Anyways, in terms of the rifftrax, solid 10. This really felt like an MST3K episode, with all the obscure-to-slightly-obscure cultural references. I certainly didn't expect to hear that R.L. Stine quip. I was especially glad they kept the long, drawn-out ranting riffs to a minimum here, coming on the heels of the endless stuttering jabs in the Transformers 2 riff which started to bug me near the end. You can tell they took their time to get this one right. Bravo, guys. Bravo.

Offline Moca Java

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 08:06:42 AM »
I haven't seen this movie until today. I guess this was probably cool to see on the big screen, but I'm honestly bored to tears. Don't know if I can even finish to rate the riff.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 08:27:45 AM »
I don't think the riff writers are getting enough love for avoiding 5,000 riffs about the CGI.  Who here believed they would be so restrained after how many they did in Titanic and the SW riffs?  Maybe you guys did but I sure as hell didn't.  I was really impressed they went a different way.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1266
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 06:41:10 PM »
I actually found this one to be a bit hard to rate... At first I was leaning towords 8, but I found myself watcing it again and again. I gave New Moon a 10, and I've watched this at least twice as many times, so in the end I decided it deserved a 10 as well.

I also gave Titanic a 10 (definitely another of my fvaorites). I may be in the minority here, but I actually enjoy the James Cameron Mega-Blockbusters. And Rifftrax just makes them that much better.

"Robot Knife Fight..."