login

Author Topic: Re-author woes!  (Read 7245 times)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 742
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re-author woes!
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:48:47 AM »
So... anyone using the 25th Anniversary edition to re-author? By the 4th sync line it no longer lines up. The first 3 are dead on then the fourth line comes in before the movie audio.  I got a clean rip so I don't think it is a ripping issue. Hopefully this isn't another Red Dawn type issue between editions.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
Re: Re-author woes!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:29:21 AM »
I rented this version yesterday. It's not the same as in the picture on Amazon.

The issue goes a little something like this.

What do you look like? - In sync

Honey, it's right to the nautilus machine - Riff is early by 6ms

That's the room my son and daughter used to occupy. - Riff is early by around 1s 3ms

DIAAAANNNNNEEEE!!! - Riff is early by around 2s 3ms

So yeah.

I went out today and rented this version.

Syncs up perfectly.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 09:56:08 AM by Action Batch »

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 11:39:33 AM »
I only checked as far as the 1st sync line before going out and moving forward with the reauthor process.  I hop I'm not in for a rude awakening.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 02:25:56 PM »
I only checked as far as the 1st sync line before going out and moving forward with the reauthor process.  I hop I'm not in for a rude awakening.

if you used the first one Action Batch posted then you will have trouble. That is the 25th Anniversary one. That is also supposed to be the one that they used at RT HQ. So who knows what is up.

Action Batch is the older release anamorphic?
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 04:17:47 PM »
Action Batch is the older release anamorphic?

It is anamorphic. But I watched both through my PS3 and there is a HUGE difference in picture quality.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 09:26:37 PM »
I rented this version yesterday. It's not the same as in the picture on Amazon.

The disc originally came with a slip cover. That is what the main image on Amazon is of.

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 08:09:13 AM »
The disc originally came with a slip cover. That is what the main image on Amazon is of.

Ah.

The total run time of both audio tracks is strange. The Newergeist is actually 3 seconds shorter than the Oldergeist. And yet the riff that syncs up to the Oldergeist falls our of sync from the Newergeist by progressively coming in more and more early. Who knows, maybe the end credits to the Oldergeist is longer, it's still weird.

Seems to me that the issue could be resolved by adding a couple thousand ms here, a couple thousand ms there. But, going through and finding exactly where here and there are, and how much to put when you find them, would be a rather exhaustive search. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 09:55:03 AM by Action Batch »

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 627
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 11:56:54 AM »

Ah.

The total run time of both audio tracks is strange. The Newergeist is actually 3 seconds shorter than the Oldergeist. And yet the riff that syncs up to the Oldergeist falls our of sync from the Newergeist by progressively coming in more and more early. Who knows, maybe the end credits to the Oldergeist is longer, it's still weird.

Seems to me that the issue could be resolved by adding a couple thousand ms here, a couple thousand ms there. But, going through and finding exactly where here and there are, and how much to put when you find them, would be a rather exhaustive search. 

I'll take a look at my merge project when I get to the office on Monday. Make sure it syncs up proper with the 25th Ann Ed. (I'm damn sure it did, but it has been a very busy week) and then spit out a new riff mp3 and see what that does for you guys.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 05:00:47 PM »
It's definitely out of sync.  I got this version, and it's closely in sync, the first sync line is in sync, but then it starts to drift for no apparent reason.  Each sync line seems to add a cumulative 0.2 seconds to the drift, and by the second hour, it's to the point where the movie is at least 2 seconds behind, and a lot of the jokes fail to make sense.

I'd like to know if anyone is doing the old fashioned way, without reauthoring, and if the sync falls out of place.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 05:10:22 PM »

When I re-did the Red Dawn riff to work with the Collector's Edition it took me a long time. What I did since I didn't have the benefit of time codes or prompts for the actual riff, I took both of the movie audio files and mixed them together. Then I went along and when the collector's one drifted I figured out exactly where it lost sync and then figured out exactly how much was needed to sync them again. I did this everytime it drifted. I wrote down the time code for where it lost sync and how much was needed to fix it then went through the rifftrax at all those times and inserted the appropriate silence needed.

Offline Trumpy

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 07:22:01 PM »
It's definitely out of sync.  I got this version, and it's closely in sync, the first sync line is in sync, but then it starts to drift for no apparent reason.  Each sync line seems to add a cumulative 0.2 seconds to the drift, and by the second hour, it's to the point where the movie is at least 2 seconds behind, and a lot of the jokes fail to make sense.

I'd like to know if anyone is doing the old fashioned way, without reauthoring, and if the sync falls out of place.

This is the version I used. The last couple of syncs were off by no more than a second. I finished re-authoring, but I won't be able to watch it until tomorrow.

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 09:33:09 AM »

...but it has been a very busy week.

Must be a phaze of the moon or sonething, last week did suck. Thanks for working on it.

Offline Trumpy

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 03:06:50 PM »
Everything turned out okay, but I had to go back and adjust the audio during the loud SFX parts. Otherwise, everything lined up.

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 03:57:21 PM »

This is the version I used. The last couple of syncs were off by no more than a second. I finished re-authoring, but I won't be able to watch it until tomorrow.

That's strange. The picture on the Netflix page looks like the 25th Ann. Edition, but it isn't. It's the older one, the 25th doesn't have Pan & Scan, it's a single sided DVD whereas the older one is a two sider, widescreen on one and standard on the other.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 04:00:25 PM by Action Batch »

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 05:07:04 PM »
That's strange. The picture on the Netflix page looks like the 25th Ann. Edition, but it isn't. It's the older one, the 25th doesn't have Pan & Scan, it's a single sided DVD whereas the older one is a two sider, widescreen on one and standard on the other.

I posed that question in the other thread and included a pic of the actual DVD.