Author Topic: I just started watching this, and already...  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Kabibble22

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
  • Oh, hai forum
I just started watching this, and already...
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:43:40 PM »
This is my first time watching... and granted, I'm a tad drunk, and I'm 10 minutes in, but Mike's line, "10 minutes in, and Lucas's entire pant leg is soaked with urine, having whizzed this film right down his leg" is entirely accurate for me right right now. No need to reply... but please do. How long before you realized this was embarrassing?

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 241
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Re: I just started watching this, and already...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 10:52:26 PM »
Pretty much immediately.

Offline Kabibble22

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
  • Oh, hai forum
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 11:06:13 PM »
I know I started this, but seconded

Offline Invisible NanoGhost

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
  • Just here for a few laughs. I'll take yours.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:57:53 PM »
Remember that for those of us who watched it on the first day of release, we went into the movie after having seen several previews.  And amazingly those previews made it seem like it would be a pretty classic movie.

At the time Mike makes the comment about whizzing the movie down his leg, the movie hasn't made it down to Naboo yet.  At that point most of us were still pretty sure we were going to see a great sci-fi film.  It wasn't until we got to seeing Jar-Jar in the underwater city that we started to get disturbed.  By the time they had submarined through THE PLANET'S CORE to get to the main city of Naboo, we were pretty much in a state of shock, unable to move.  Pity, or we could have escaped before the REALLY bad parts of the film.

By the time of the pod race, I think we were banging our heads on the wall of the theater.  Make it end, please, just Make it END!!!

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 06:08:26 PM »
By the time of the pod race, I think we were banging our heads on the wall of the theater.  Make it end, please, just Make it END!!!

I was banging my head into my lap, as I literally nodded off during the Pod Race. And every subsequent time I tried to watch that gleaming turd.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 08:45:07 PM »
Sorry, but the movie really isn't that bad. It's just not great. I think people were unrealistically hoping that the movie posters, sneak previews, action figures, magazines and rumors were all a big hoax and that most of the movie's budget went toward technology to mark Mark Hamill young again. Yeah, sorry, but... it actually WAS about the melon-headed kid on the poster, and nobody had any right to expect otherwise after they bought their tickets.

I see the movie as the ultimate justice. You wanted to be a kid again... and the movie showed you how stupid and annoying a kid you used to be by featuring one as the main character. Serves you right, you grown-ass bastards.

Offline Invisible NanoGhost

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
  • Just here for a few laughs. I'll take yours.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 04:13:59 PM »
No, it is that bad.  Pretty much all of the acting is bad.  The story line is pathetic.  The pod race really is amazingly tedious.  If I wanted to spend a few hours watching a race, I'd watch NASCAR on TV instead of spending $15 at a movie theater to see digi-NASCAR.  The idea that melon-kid would jump into a fighter, fly into outer space, and take out a military base is beyond absurd.  The only real goal of the movie was to come up with a million different toys to sell.

The original trilogy was probably aimed at the teenage crowd, who would love the shoot-em-up aspects.  That crowd grew up, and was given a series of movies which was aimed more towards a 5-year-old crowd.  Of course the audience hated it.  If Lucas had put a main character as childish (ex-SQUEEZE-me) as Jar-Jar in the first trilogy, the first trilogy never would have reached the iconic status that it did.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2370
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 04:39:59 PM »
Yeah, it is more than a matter of nostalgia and reality not meeting up.  Phantom Menace sucks whether you compare it to the original trilogy or not.  The only thing I like is the fight choreography in the lightsaber duel, and even there, as "Mr. Plinkett" pointed out, there's no real emotion in that battle.  Might as well be a dance-off.  An impressive dance-off, but whatever.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2315
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 09:35:46 PM »
Had to dig through my old files to find what I wrote the day after seeing it in June 1999, my opinion of it has gone down since then mostly because there have been better CGI movies since then, back then it was pretty cool all the stuff you could look at in the background when you lost intrest in the story, and the lack of intrest started about 10 minutes in...

http://science.widener.edu/~schultz/SWTF.html