Author Topic: Oh God, Stephanie Meyer's making another Twilight book.  (Read 9569 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Oh God, Stephanie Meyer's making another Twilight book.
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2010, 08:06:54 PM »
Yeah but that can still be simply rhetorical rather than accurately descriptive. I'm inclined to believe Meyer is only slightly lying when she says she didn't read anything else about Vampires; I'm sure she did, but only enough to skim some tropes without understanding how they work.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2010, 10:25:31 PM »
Can anyone tell me why it is forbidden for Vampires in the Twilight world to eat regular food along with a staple of animal's blood?

Every vampire tome portrays vampires as the Undead.  As in their insides don't work anymore.  So it's not so much that they're forbidden - it's just they can't do anything with it internally.  So since they're never going to shit it out they have to either not eat it or throw it back up.

The question is...since Edward is undead and his insides don't work....how will he get Bella knocked up?  Eddie should be shooting blanks.

...and the like*or some sort of infection like in Ultraviolet?

I think it was in the theater version that the hemophages in Ultraviolet were nicknamed "Vampires" by the press because the disease somehow made the victim's canine teeth grow and made them sensitive to light (although it varied among victims so Violet could walk around like normal but Garth had to wear the shades and stay out of the sun).  But they didn't drink blood.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2010, 04:58:46 AM »
...and the like*or some sort of infection like in Ultraviolet?

I think it was in the theater version that the hemophages in Ultraviolet were nicknamed "Vampires" by the press because the disease somehow made the victim's canine teeth grow and made them sensitive to light (although it varied among victims so Violet could walk around like normal but Garth had to wear the shades and stay out of the sun).  But they didn't drink blood.
Ah, interesting, I was talking about this Ultraviolet. :)

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Dragon of Light
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2010, 07:29:36 AM »
Yes the not eating food is a general vampiric trope, the same goes for drinking nrmal human beverages:

I still don't get it though. Why is eating or drinking things other than blood a bad thing? Is it a cellular thing where the cells of a slab of steak are different than blood cells? Would eating a bloody steak cause the vampire's head to explode like someone who's consumed too many Pop Rocks and Carbonated beverages. I still can't wrap my head around why eating food or drinking normal beverages is bad to a vampire even if they get their daily allotment of plasma.
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2010, 07:32:35 AM »
Yes the not eating food is a general vampiric trope, the same goes for drinking nrmal human beverages:

I still don't get it though. Why is eating or drinking things other than blood a bad thing? Is it a cellular thing where the cells of a slab of steak are different than blood cells? Would eating a bloody steak cause the vampire's head to explode like someone who's consumed too many Pop Rocks and Carbonated beverages. I still can't wrap my head around why eating food or drinking normal beverages is bad to a vampire even if they get their daily allotment of plasma.
Generally it's not a vampire societal taboo it's merely about the physical inability to digest or something along those line.

The point is, Meyer isn't responsible for this one.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 07:35:25 AM by Tripe H. Redux »