Author Topic: The 2010 baseball thread  (Read 36286 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2662
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: The 2010 baseball thread
« Reply #435 on: August 18, 2010, 10:06:07 AM »
Jim Thome. :)

:highfive:

I could watch that clip over and over again.

Reading the game summary I noticed that people are still booing AJ.  What the hell?  He played great for us and we trade him and yet the fans still boo him.   

Only thing I like about the DH is it gives guys like Thome a way to stay in the game.  There was just no way the Phillies could keep him back in '06.

Pat Burrell's first time back in Philly since winning the world series and he hits a home run, but then the Giants kind of imploded and lost big time. 

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #436 on: August 18, 2010, 11:37:43 AM »

Reading the game summary I noticed that people are still booing AJ.  What the hell?  He played great for us and we trade him and yet the fans still boo him.   

To put it bluntly: because he's a dickhead.

And frankly, considering what we gave up (a catcher who is above average at best) and what we got in return (Liriano and Nathan), getting rid of AJ was one of the smartest moves this franchise has ever made.

On a somewhat different note, it looks like YouTube has taken down the link to infamously homer-tastic White Sox announcer Hawk Harrelson's "call" of the home run.

Just dead silence for about 56 seconds, then "...............................and we'll be back."  Cut to commercial.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:52:10 AM by The Doctor (BBQ) »
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #437 on: August 19, 2010, 11:21:37 AM »
"Rogerrrr.... Rogerrrrr...."

Roider Clemens is being indicted. 

(I still love his "I was confused and thought it was the ball" excuse from the event pictured.)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #438 on: August 19, 2010, 11:37:01 AM »
Roger to his lawyer:    "Gee, Andy Petitte is saying he took PEDs to recover from injury faster because he wanted to help the team win, should I say that as well?"

Rusty Harden, the lawyer:   "No Roger, you should fight this tooth and nail.   I mean, there is no proof of this   Go to congress and lie under oath and sue your trainer.   I mean, what are the odds there exists a photo of you at this infamous party of Jose Canseco's that has a time stamp printed on the photo and a kid from a squeeky clean family took the photo and we cannot smear him?   Also, what are the odds that your trainer stored bloody guazes and needles for over a decade with your DNA on it...... I mean, does he think that you are a scumbag and he should keep this just in case?"

Roger:  "Gosh, you are right, I should go and lie and I can get all the Republicans in congress to defend me and call me great and everyone else a scumbag.    Hey, if I do manage to get caught in a lie, what do I need to remember?"

Rusty:   "Roger, remember that I get paid by the hour"

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #439 on: August 20, 2010, 12:11:21 AM »

To put it bluntly: because he's a dickhead.

And frankly, considering what we gave up (a catcher who is above average at best) and what we got in return (Liriano and Nathan), getting rid of AJ was one of the smartest moves this franchise has ever made.

On a somewhat different note, it looks like YouTube has taken down the link to infamously homer-tastic White Sox announcer Hawk Harrelson's "call" of the home run.

Just dead silence for about 56 seconds, then "...............................and we'll be back."  Cut to commercial.

Haha, dead silence. I've always hated Hawk which makes it all the more hilarious :D

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #440 on: August 21, 2010, 04:41:03 AM »
 :o

Roger Clemens was offered a plea agreement, however it was declined, said his attorney Rusty Hardin.
"The government made a recommendation [for a plea agreement] and we declined," Hardin said. "I will tell you the recommendation they made was a very good one if he was guilty. And if he was guilty we would have jumped on it. Everybody has all this great solicitous advice, all the media and you guys -- ESPN. Nobody is answering the question: What if he didn't do it, what should he have done? And everybody wants him to confess." Either Clemens is telling the truth or he is completely insane. We might not see a trial for a while, but he is facing the prospect of real jail time right now.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #441 on: August 21, 2010, 08:00:02 AM »
The previous message brought to you by Rusty "paid by the hour" Harden
 :spammer:

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #442 on: August 21, 2010, 08:17:33 AM »
The previous message brought to you by Rusty "paid by the hour" Harden
 :spammer:

You think he's thinking "Hey Barry Bighead hasn't gone to jail yet, I should be ok!"

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #443 on: August 24, 2010, 09:06:08 PM »
This Phillies game won't end....

A-Hole 3rd base upm tosses Howard in the 14th, after saying he went around twice when he didn't...   :grr: :grr: :grr:

So,  Ibanez moves to 1st base, and Roy Oswalt is in left field...  Both made good plays in the 15th.

And Oswalt wasn't scheduled to play against his old team this series...

Hows this for a lineup going into the 16th:

J. Rollins SS
  P. Polanco 3B 
  C. Utley 2B 
  R. Oswalt LF 
  J. Werth RF 
  R. Ibanez 1B 
  S. Victorino CF 
  D. Herndon P 
  B. Schneider C 

Edit:  Howard being out really hurt in the 16th, Ibanez couldn't catch a ball to finish a double play, so Phillies down by 2.  Just to add to the craziness Oswalt had to bat with 2 on, 2 outs, and ground out.   :'(
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:32:02 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #444 on: August 25, 2010, 04:32:01 AM »
Of course Oswalt should bat clean up!

I thought maybe the first checked swing he might have went around, but the second one was a joke. 

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #445 on: August 25, 2010, 06:24:24 AM »

I thought maybe the first checked swing he might have went around, but the second one was a joke. 

Yeah the ump's mimicking Howard was a little ridiculous.  After that I kinda had a feeling something was going to happen.  And darn it I fell asleep in between the 15th & 16th inning.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #446 on: August 25, 2010, 10:03:06 AM »

Yeah the ump's mimicking Howard was a little ridiculous.  After that I kinda had a feeling something was going to happen.  And darn it I fell asleep in between the 15th & 16th inning.

How about a lot ridiculous.  Howard had a horrible night striking out, the games been going for around 5 hours at that point and that SOB gives him shit for getting pissed on a call, stares him down for the rest of the at bat, then ejects him for throwing down his bat after that bogus call.  The highlights make it seem like he was thrown out for charging the ump but the ejection was almost immediately after the strike call.  Just make your damn call and get ready for the next one...  :grr: :angry: :grr: :angry:

As Larry always says on the radio "are you kiddin me"....

I've never understood the appeals on check swings, if a slow motion replay usually is inconclusive how does a guy standing 90 to 100 feet away have a better view?

I'm still pissed about this, this is so much worse than any blown call, mistakes happen but this was malicious, this whole crew has not been good for the Phillies and it's only going to get worse now.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #447 on: August 25, 2010, 12:08:03 PM »
What was really strange is generally in situations like that where it's really late, the game doesn't seem to want to end, I fell it seems they usually tend to be a little more lenient in an effort to actually get the game to end.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #448 on: August 25, 2010, 12:10:43 PM »
Yeah, the ump had "rabbit ears" on that one for sure.   Guess he wanted to let Howard know that people paid money to see him umpire, not Howard bat.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #449 on: August 27, 2010, 10:15:57 AM »
Strasburg looks like he's heading for Tommy John surgery.  There's a Dusty Baker joke there somewhere I think...