login

Author Topic: The 2010 baseball thread  (Read 36167 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: The 2010 baseball thread
« Reply #345 on: July 24, 2010, 03:32:16 PM »
Espn in full blown hyperventilation mode over a-roid chasing 600 home runs.  Vomit-inducing.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #346 on: July 26, 2010, 01:33:06 AM »
First big trade before the deadline. Haren for Saunders. Clearly a salary dump for the D-Backs. For chrissakes, they're 22 games back in the N.L. West and strike out more than Darryl Strawberry on Celebrity Apprentice.

What I want to know is if Haren can raise his game a bit and do his part to get the Angels back in contention for the A.L. West. The Angels have a lot of ground to make up, but hopefully this will be a jump-start. Go Halos!

On another front, the Dodgers pitching staff is rolling. Unfortunately, the offense is spotty at best. C'mon Ethier, turn it on again! And as for Manny, get your ass into shape! Seriously, I miss Juan Pierre!) They need to get their pitching (which is killing it right now) and offense on the same page and I believe they can pass the Giants as well as the Padres (by the way, who the hell would've predicted what S.D. is doing so far?!?) Aside from the Limp-Backs,) the N.L. West is wide open. Should make an entertaining second-half!
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #347 on: July 26, 2010, 05:28:54 AM »
First big trade before the deadline. Haren for Saunders. Clearly a salary dump for the D-Backs. For chrissakes, they're 22 games back in the N.L. West and strike out more than Darryl Strawberry on Celebrity Apprentice.

I didn't think Haren's contract was that expensive. Plus isn't he under contract for another 2 years?  Even with the top prospect included the Angels got a steal.  Man the D-Backs are a mess.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #348 on: July 26, 2010, 09:47:55 AM »
I would love for the Cards to get Oswalt, but not give up all their young (and cheap) prospects for him.   They dont have unlimited payroll like the Cubs have, so they have to be smart with their money.

When it's all said and done, I just cannot see the 'stros trading within the division. Secondly, your farm system's pretty depleted at the moment, but seeing what the D-Backs received for Haren, a proposal around Shelby Miller isn't out-of-the-question. Third, hypothetically speaking if you do get Oswalt, what's the likelihood of  re-signing Carpenter in 2012? I'm assuming it would be pretty tough.

First big trade before the deadline. Haren for Saunders.

Barnes, let's follow up on that trade w/ a Fielder swap? Center a deal around Mike Trout, and let's talk!  :)

Prince's been linked w/ the ChiSox, Tigers, and Halos. I'm crossing my fingers a bidding war commences.

I didn't think Haren's contract was that expensive. Plus isn't he under contract for another 2 years?  .

It's not. He's banking 12.75 for the following two seasons, and there's a club option in the third year @ 15.5. I would've gladly upped the ante for him, but w/ his no-trade clause, I'm sure we weren't on the list as a desirable destination.

Nonetheless, this should be a fun week. For the most part, it always is.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #349 on: July 26, 2010, 10:11:01 AM »
This whole daycare being closed for the next 2 weeks thing is going to seriously cut into my trade deadline monitoring.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #350 on: July 26, 2010, 11:59:32 AM »

Big three-team blockbuster rumor's out there right now...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/edwin-jacksonadam-dunn-threeteam-rumor.html

I'm curious as to what the ChiSox & Nats would put together for the D-Backs if this follows through. I hope it doesn't, because it takes one of Fielder's prime suitors out of the picture. Nevertheless, Kenny's been all over Dunn, too, and the Nats have really coveted Jackson for some reason.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #351 on: July 26, 2010, 12:54:45 PM »

I didn't think Haren's contract was that expensive. Plus isn't he under contract for another 2 years?  Even with the top prospect included the Angels got a steal.  Man the D-Backs are a mess.

Expensive enough, apparently. Arizona is indeed a big hot mess and RAD's link to Stark's quote of "a bunch of young pitchers to Arizona" points to a total tear down and rebuild for the D-Backs. Edwin Jackson is an interesting specimen. He's always struck me as a guy with a ton of potential but he's just never put it together.

I think I'd like to see Prince go to the Halos. Put Napoli (whose been putting up some great power numbers) back behind the plate and put Prince at first base in an attempt to fill the hole left by the Morales injury. Not that I think Prince can fill that hole (his numbers are clearly down this season), but they are way stronger than Mathis'. Napoli/Fielder is a far better offensive combo than Napoli/Mathis.

The Haren deal tells me they want to make a serious run for the division. I wouldn't be surprised if they picked up another bat, e.g. Fielder. There is precedent as well as evidenced by the 2008 second-half pick-up of Teixeira.

It should be a fun week indeed!

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #352 on: July 26, 2010, 01:03:16 PM »
I can't imagine the Red Sox will do anything interesting this week.  Maybe attempt to get some middle relief?  Maybe trade Lowell for a white flag we can wave for this season?  They're running out of time to start winning.  Thankfully we're starting to get some of our broken players back.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #353 on: July 26, 2010, 03:26:15 PM »
Roy Oswalt is putting the screws to the Astros who just HAVE to trade them to have any hope of competing anytime soon.   >:D

He said he won't accept a trade to Philly and will only accept trade to St. Louis.   Said if he is traded to Cardinals, he will probably will not exercise his option in 2012 for 16 million (yeah, RIGHT) so his trade value as a one and half year player to the Cardinals just went down.

He will probably end up an Astro with their pathetic owner and the fans here in Houston will go irate!    Oswalt can still go fishing and hunting with his buds on the Cardinal's pitching staff in the off season.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #354 on: July 26, 2010, 07:16:43 PM »
This Twins-Royals game has just gone insane - 17-0 in the seventh inning.

19 - 1!

Seems Danny Valencia is making a case to be the everyday 3rd baseman.  And Mauer is getting hot again.  Things are looking up.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:17:03 PM by Artie »
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #355 on: July 26, 2010, 08:31:52 PM »
And Angels fans immediately panic!  Haren just took a Youkilis hit to the pitching arm!  :scared: Welcome to Anaheim!

Ok, gotta get back to watching the game to see how bad it is.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #356 on: July 27, 2010, 12:34:09 AM »
Another no-hitter. Congrats Garza! Year of the pitcher, indeed. Yet, as this keeps happening, what immediately comes to mind is Gallaraga's stolen perfect game. So sad.

On another down note, my first-pick starter in the "PantsParty'10SteveLyonsRevenge" league had yet another stellar outing...

Z. Greinke (L, 6-10)

IP     H     R     ER     BB      K      HR     WHIP     Season ERA
4.0    8     8       8       2        7         1        1.18       4.01

The good news? I spaced out yesterday and left his ass riding the pine!!!

And in a related note (although in a different league - "Milton Bradley's Mind Games"), Mauer went OFF Monday!

J. Mauer

AB     R     H     RBI     HR     BB     K     SB     LOB     Season Avg
 5       3      5        7          1         1     0       0           0      . 305

YO JOE!!!

I hope Haren's okay. I think it was a good move not taking any chances and just pulling him out immediately. Just looked like swelling that probably needed needed ice right away....I hope.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #357 on: July 27, 2010, 10:22:35 AM »
Not that baseball players are not the toughest althletes in the world......

We are through the looking glass on these postgame celebrations, people. We have our first injury caused by someone giving a shaving-cream pie to the face.

Florida Marlins outfielder Chris Coghlan tore the meniscus in his left knee, and is headed for the disabled list after he face-pied teammate Wes Helms during a TV interview Sunday.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #358 on: July 27, 2010, 12:35:42 PM »

We are through the looking glass on these postgame celebrations, people. We have our first injury caused by someone giving a shaving-cream pie to the face.

Florida Marlins outfielder Chris Coghlan tore the meniscus in his left knee, and is headed for the disabled list after he face-pied teammate Wes Helms during a TV interview Sunday.

Yikes! First Morales, now Coghlan!

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #359 on: July 27, 2010, 01:44:40 PM »

Yikes! First Morales, now Coghlan!

Hockey players are now all collectively rolling their eyes.......