Author Topic: The 2010 baseball thread  (Read 36131 times)

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 5
Re: The 2010 baseball thread
« Reply #330 on: July 13, 2010, 11:15:44 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5375561

Yankees' Steinbrenner dies at 80

NEW YORK -- George Steinbrenner, whose big wallet and win-at-all-cost attitude whipped the New York Yankees into a billion-dollar sports empire, died Tuesday morning. He had just celebrated his 80th birthday July 4.

Steinbrenner had a heart attack, was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Fla., and died at about 6:30 a.m. ET, according to multiple reports.

"George was 'The Boss,' make no mistake," Hall of Famer Yogi Berra said. "He built the Yankees into champions, and that's something nobody can ever deny. He was a very generous, caring, passionate man. George and I had our differences, but who didn't? We became great friends over the last decade and I will miss him very much."

God's probably up there quaking in his boots right now as Steinbrenner berates him... "You got me and Bob Sheppard in less than 72 hours, but you still haven't gotten Osama bin Laden after 9 years? What the hell is wrong with you?"

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #331 on: July 13, 2010, 11:22:36 AM »
God's probably up there quaking in his boots right now as Steinbrenner berates him... "You got me and Bob Sheppard in less than 72 hours, but you still haven't gotten Osama bin Laden after 9 years? What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...You're fired!!! I'm replacing you with Billy Martin!"

VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #332 on: July 18, 2010, 02:32:23 PM »
NOW will you move Delmon Young up in the order, Gardy?
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #333 on: July 18, 2010, 03:18:01 PM »
Bad day for closers!

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #334 on: July 18, 2010, 03:47:19 PM »
In other positive news, Gardy stretched Duensing for 4 innings, so it looks like either Blackburn or Slowey are headed down to Rochester.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #335 on: July 18, 2010, 11:13:55 PM »
Bad day for closers!

No shit! I thought the Dodgers might be able to salvage at least one game out of this disastrous trip to St. Louis (A.K.A. Gateway to Getting Swept!)

And what the fuck is up with Greinke?!? I picked him as my first pitcher in the PantsParty'10SteveLyonsRevenge league! My fantasy baseball season has been an absolute train wreck this season. But I'm gonna hang in there and hope for a big (and I mean BIG) second-half comeback.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #336 on: July 19, 2010, 05:56:37 AM »
Bad day for closers!

No shit! I thought the Dodgers might be able to salvage at least one game out of this disastrous trip to St. Louis (A.K.A. Gateway to Getting Swept!)

And what the fuck is up with Greinke?!? I picked him as my first pitcher in the PantsParty'10SteveLyonsRevenge league! My fantasy baseball season has been an absolute train wreck this season. But I'm gonna hang in there and hope for a big (and I mean BIG) second-half comeback.

You know you can put Victor Martinez in a DL slot and pick up another player for while he's out right? (And it doesn't have to be the same position that you pick up.)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #337 on: July 19, 2010, 06:41:15 AM »
Bad day for closers!

It's always nice when the Cardinals put out one of those lineups where half the team gets the day off, and the no names actually come through.

I wondered if Greinke would be a one hit wonder or not since the Royals are so hopeless as a franchise.   He could be lights out and still not get any wins.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #338 on: July 19, 2010, 01:15:05 PM »
You know you can put Victor Martinez in a DL slot and pick up another player for while he's out right? (And it doesn't have to be the same position that you pick up.)

Well I know now!  ;)

Thanks for the tip. This is actually the first time I've played Yahoo fantasy baseball. I usually play the ESPN games.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 01:19:07 PM by D.B. Linus »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #339 on: July 19, 2010, 01:22:06 PM »
And what the fuck is up with Greinke?!? I picked him as my first pitcher in the PantsParty'10SteveLyonsRevenge league!
I wondered if Greinke would be a one hit wonder or not since the Royals are so hopeless as a franchise.   He could be lights out and still not get any wins.

He could have been a free agent at the end of this season, but for some reason signed a four year extension last year. Strange, I would think he couldn't wait to get his ass off that train wreck.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #340 on: July 19, 2010, 01:22:31 PM »

Well I know now!  ;)

Thanks for the tip. This is actually the first time I've played Yahoo fantasy baseball. I usually play the ESPN games.

Noticed it on Friday, but figured since you were my opponent it could wait til Monday.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #341 on: July 19, 2010, 02:36:27 PM »

Well I know now!  ;)

Noticed it on Friday, but figured since you were my opponent it could wait til Monday.

I see. How very sporting of you.  ;)

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #342 on: July 23, 2010, 06:27:53 PM »
 You know what would've been great in the last Twins game? If Delmon Young had come up to hit his seeing eye single in the eighth inning with a runner on third instead of in the ninth inning with one out and nobody on. In fact, I'd like to see him bat more frequently.

Hmm...if only there were some way to insure that he came up to bat more often instead of, say, Michael Cuddyer. Unfortunately, as far as I know, no such method exists.  After all, if it did, Gardy would surely have used it by now. I mean, it's not like he's a fucking idiot or something, right?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 06:39:51 PM by BBQ Platypus »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #343 on: July 24, 2010, 03:52:58 AM »
I'm a tad concerned about the boys in blue. Manny is gone for who knows long. Ethier can't buy a hit, lately. And to top it all off, the bullpen is a disaster. Sherrill is a complete meltdown and Broxton seems to blowing it at the worst possible times.

Meanwhile, SD and SF (especially!) are killin' it. With secondary props to the Rockies for being 0.5 games ahead of the Dodgers as of the writing of this post.

Suffice it to say, the NL West is completely up in the air. Seriously, who would have predicted the Padres to be in first place by three games at this point in the season?!?

Much more drama to come, I'm sure.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #344 on: July 24, 2010, 05:28:49 AM »
ESPN is reporting the the Dodgers, Phillies and Cardinals all talking to the Astros about Oswalt.   The Houston owner is such a horrible owner, instead of trying to trade and get better, he keeps shilling to the fans that they just need to add a couple of pieces, not tear down and start over.   Man, it is hilarious the stuff he says in the paper.

I would love for the Cards to get Oswalt, but not give up all their young (and cheap) prospects for him.   They dont have unlimited payroll like the Cubs have, so they have to be smart with their money.