Author Topic: The 2010 baseball thread  (Read 34769 times)

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
Re: The 2010 baseball thread
« Reply #225 on: June 02, 2010, 05:40:44 PM »
Can someone explain to me how a guy (Justin Morneau) can hit .400 for a month, be leading the AL in batting (among other categories) and not be AL player of the month?

Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

anais.jude

« Reply #226 on: June 02, 2010, 08:34:49 PM »

BTW, I feel kinda bad for the D-Backs. If there's a way to lose, they will find it. That bullpen is a fucking tire fire.

Um, why? (Rockies fans no likey the D-backs...or D-bags as we tend to call them  ;D)

Can someone explain to me how a guy (Justin Morneau) can hit .400 for a month, be leading the AL in batting (among other categories) and not be AL player of the month?

I don't know but, this guy

is the NL player of the month (second month in a row  8))

In other news, so an umpire's call cost the third perfect game of the season. I smell conspiracy!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2562
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #227 on: June 02, 2010, 08:52:20 PM »
In other news, so an umpire's call cost the third perfect game of the season. I smell conspiracy!

I was just reading about it, how crazy is that?  Both the bad call and there being 3 perfect games in a month.....

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #228 on: June 02, 2010, 09:06:15 PM »

I was just reading about it, how crazy is that?  Both the bad call and there being 3 perfect games in a month.....

Can't feel sorry for the competition - they still won, stop whining.

Moleman

« Reply #229 on: June 02, 2010, 10:10:23 PM »
How much you want to bet ESPN is going to make an issue because the pitcher was Hispanic and the umpire white?

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #230 on: June 02, 2010, 11:18:44 PM »
Weird to hear that Griffey's checking out.  Seems like yesterday I was watching him play A ball in San Berdoo.  (He said, leaning on his walker and intermittently spitting tobacco juice into an old preserves jar.)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #231 on: June 03, 2010, 03:38:45 AM »
As soon as I saw the play, it immediatly thought "Don Demnkinger" who cost the Cardinals the 1985 WS with the EXACT same blown play in the 9th inning.   

Umpires are human and make mistakes.   I am not sure putting in expanded instant replay would really fix anything as they are so many bang bang plays, you could make the games go on forever.   Even given the manager two challenges may not have worked in this situation as what if the Tigers manager had already used them?   

Yeah, it is a bad thing, but baseball has been around for over 120 years now and the game has not exploded without replay.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #232 on: June 03, 2010, 04:50:50 AM »
Twins lost their game last night because of a blown call  - why isn't that on the front page of ESPN?   Shouldn't a call that affects the final outcome of a game be more important?

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #233 on: June 03, 2010, 05:06:55 AM »
Twins lost their game last night because of a blown call  - why isn't that on the front page of ESPN?   Shouldn't a call that affects the final outcome of a game be more important?

Because ESPN can only focus their awesome powers on one thing at a time............. it may take away from their Yankee/Red Sox fixation.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #234 on: June 03, 2010, 05:34:37 AM »

Because Ortiz went from hitting like Michael Jordan, to hitting almost .400 with 10 HR's or something like that?  (I'm a Sox fan and even I am a little suspicious... again.  I think Ortiz has been hitting the "Supplement Shakes".)

And that call last night to blow the perfect game really bums me out as a baseball fan.  At least the ump was man enough to admit he blew the call & apologize.  And he seems like he's really beating himself up over it.

Offline Scrivener

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7
  • P.S. Productions: Getting the last word in.
« Reply #235 on: June 03, 2010, 05:36:56 AM »
Once again, thanks to MLB Network, I got to see the last third of Galarraga's perfect-game bid.  You would not have believed the sound that came out of me when Jim Joyce made that call.  I was rather shocked myself.

The problem is, I can see how Joyce missed the call.  On a play at first, an umpire is watching the base to see when it's touched, and listening for the sound of the ball striking the glove.  Galarraga snow-coned the ball in the top of the pocket, which minimizes the sound of impact.  Joyce simply may not have heard the ball hit the glove, and assumed it arrived late. (At full speed, it's not that obvious a call:  half a step.)

And the worst of it is, he knows he blew it.  To quote him after the game:  "I don't know what to do.  I cost that kid a perfect game. ... Biggest call of my career, and I kicked the **** out of it."  I hated Jim Joyce and sympathized with him and pitied him in the space of about an hour.  At least he got out of the ballpark all right.

(Okay, looking at online coverage, I now learn Joyce did not get wrong what I thought he got wrong.  "I thought he (the Indians batter) beat the play," says Joyce.  All right, a little less sympathy, then.)

Later that night, I came up with a way to give Galarraga some restitution:  the official scorer could change the hit to an error, giving Galarraga a consolation no-hitter.  I see someone has already raised that with the Tigers' official scorer Chuck Klonke, who has reviewed the video, and says he cannot warrant changing the call, as he believes Galarraga had control of the ball.  Well, since the call wasn't blown on possession of the ball, I guess that makes sense.

As for calls for Bud Selig to reverse the call:  hey, I hate Selig as much as the next guy, but I'll have to back him if he does nothing.  That kind of post-facto interference would set a dreadful precedent, effectively making the Commissioner a delayed-action replay umpire.  That way lies madness.  Lay off the pitch, Bud.

And poor Ken Griffey Junior.  His retirement story got utterly stepped on.  Reminiscent of Rickey Henderson breaking the career steals record hours before Nolan Ryan threw his seventh no-hitter.  Well, so long, Junior.  See you in Cooperstown in 2016.

(Oh, and one more comment on Jim Joyce.  Think about the kind of guts it takes to deny a pitcher a perfect game on his home field, on a bang-bang play on what would be the very last out.  Credit the man with the courage of his convictions, if nothing else.)
Buy P.S.Productions' iRiffs.  NOW AVAILABLE:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2562
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #236 on: June 03, 2010, 09:01:29 AM »
(At full speed, it's not that obvious a call:  half a step.)

Looking from the side at full speed you could just barely tell the runner was a half step behind the pitcher, the ump is seeing them running almost straight at him and that's a harder call.

The only way more replay could work would be to have an extra umpire in a booth at each park watching the video feeds, if he sees a blown call he can signal the field and bring in the ump that made the call to ask him to reverse it.  No requests for review, even from the umps on the field, the guy in the booth would be the only one with the power to call a time out to review a call.  Also would have to consider you can't reverse a call if there are plays made after it.  Figure that way it wouldn't happen very often.  With all the cameras from every angle now they should to do something because the missed calls are pissing people off.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #237 on: June 03, 2010, 12:23:17 PM »

BTW, I feel kinda bad for the D-Backs. If there's a way to lose, they will find it. That bullpen is a fucking tire fire.

Um, why? (Rockies fans no likey the D-backs...or D-bags as we tend to call them  ;D)

Well, neither do Dodger fans but having just watched them get swept by those Dodgers in such disheartening fashion, I kinda pity them in a way. I mean, they've lost 10 in-a-row. They haven't scored a run in 31 innings. That's just wrong.

That shit that went down in Detroit is also just wrong. The strange thing is, calls do sometimes get changed on the field. Everyone in the stadium knew he was out, including the runner. Did the umps even huddle up and say: "Hey, this is kind of important. Let's make sure we get this right. Did everyone see the same thing?"
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #238 on: June 03, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »

Because Ortiz went from hitting like Michael Jordan, to hitting almost .400 with 10 HR's or something like that?  (I'm a Sox fan and even I am a little suspicious... again.  I think Ortiz has been hitting the "Supplement Shakes".)

And that call last night to blow the perfect game really bums me out as a baseball fan.  At least the ump was man enough to admit he blew the call & apologize.  And he seems like he's really beating himself up over it.

Morneau had a better month than Ortiz - plain and simple.

This whole blown call thing is huge non-story - it didn't effect the outcome of the game. 

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #239 on: June 03, 2010, 05:10:25 PM »

Morneau had a better month than Ortiz - plain and simple.

This whole blown call thing is huge non-story - it didn't effect the outcome of the game. 

I think it's probably because he SUCKED BALLS the month before? (Still think he's possibly on some sort of PED.)

But looking at the stats (using "Last Month" on my Fantasy Baseball squad since I have both players) it looks like this:

Morneau - 36/93 16R 6HR 19RBI .387 1.197OPS
Ortiz         - 27/79 16R 9HR 27RBI .367 1.213OPS

Both had monster months.

I think if it wasn't that the blown call cost him a perfect game it wouldn't have even made the news.