Author Topic: The 2010 baseball thread  (Read 35263 times)

Offline Scrivener

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7
  • P.S. Productions: Getting the last word in.
Re: The 2010 baseball thread
« Reply #210 on: May 30, 2010, 04:57:59 AM »
Thanks to MLB Network's live look-in policy, I got to see the last three innings of Halladay's perfect game as it unfolded.  I have never had that privilege before, and it really was something.  Halladay's control wasn't perfect -- he was throwing fewer strikes than you'd expect, and ran up more than one three-ball count while I was watching -- but when he absolutely needed to locate a pitch, he did. (The extended close-up of Hanley Ramirez standing at home after a called strike three to end the seventh, not believing what had just been done to him, was a great touch.)  Kudos to MLB Network.

That said, D.B. has a good point.  Perfect games are supposed to be vanishingly rare, something like once every decade.  We have now had three in the space of a single calendar year.  There are more teams playing more games, granted, but still, something has gone out of balance somewhere.  Baseball will have lost part of its character if the perfect game becomes anything resembling ordinary.

And poor, poor Kendry Morales.  That was the most bizarre and humiliating sports injury since place-kicker Bill Grammatica blew out his ACL while jumping up and down to celebrate a field goal he kicked against the Giants.  In the second quarter.  At least Kendry had the dignity of winning the game for his team before breaking his leg (or ankle:  I heard the former).  Speedy recovery to him.
Buy P.S.Productions' iRiffs.  NOW AVAILABLE:

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #211 on: May 30, 2010, 06:39:50 AM »
Gabe Kapler blowing out his Achilles rounding second on a HR hit by Graffanino was a pretty scary to watch as well.   :speechless:

anais.jude

« Reply #212 on: May 30, 2010, 08:47:35 AM »
I was at Coors field for the ROckies game last night and they made the annoucement about the perfect game, apparanlty that pitcher is from Colorado. It was cool because the announcement was more for fans of baseball in general (like moi) than people who care only about the home team.

That said, ROCKIES WON 11-3! WOOT  8)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #213 on: May 30, 2010, 09:39:15 AM »
That said, D.B. has a good point.  Perfect games are supposed to be vanishingly rare, something like once every decade.  We have now had three in the space of a single calendar year.  There are more teams playing more games, granted, but still, something has gone out of balance somewhere.  Baseball will have lost part of its character if the perfect game becomes anything resembling ordinary.

I think (hope) it's just a fluke, lots of teams in hitting slumps recently.

Actually there have only been 2 perfect games this year, 3 no hitters.  There are usually a few no hit games a year, but a perfect game is much harder.  If you look at the list of perfect games most are in May and June, only a few in April and July, none in August, and a few at the end of the season, that tells you it has to be a perfect combination of hot pitcher and cold batters.

I was predicting Halliday would pitch a no hitter this year, but not a perfect one.  Halliday was close to walking a few last night, one guy swung at ball 4, another was called a strike that was real close to ball 4.  I was listening live on the radio as I do for most games since Harry  Kalas died, then had to watch the replay on comcast overnight.  As usual the radio guys had the best call of the game.

Oh, also need to think about where the game was played, several of those fly balls were caught on the warning track, would have been hits or home runs in a smaller park.  I don't think it would have been a perfect game if they were playing at home, maybe still a no hitter.  Also without that error it would have been a scoreless game in the 9th, an extra inning perfect game is extremely rare.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:48:11 AM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline Scrivener

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7
  • P.S. Productions: Getting the last word in.
« Reply #214 on: May 30, 2010, 04:14:17 PM »
Actually there have only been 2 perfect games this year, 3 no hitters. 

Hm, I think I mis-spoke myself, or at least was unclear.  When I said "in the space of a single calendar year", I meant a span of the previous twelve months, rather than the calendar year 2010.  Mark Buehrle's perfect game was less than a year ago:  that's what I was trying to incorporate into my comment.

And to round out the topic:  historically, a team that wins a perfect game more often than not goes on to lose its next game.  I only saw one score for the Phillies and Marlins today, Florida leading 1-0 somewhere in the middle of the game.  I'll be interested to learn whether the Phillies added to the next-day futility of perfect-game winners today.
Buy P.S.Productions' iRiffs.  NOW AVAILABLE:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #215 on: May 30, 2010, 04:48:31 PM »
Actually there have only been 2 perfect games this year, 3 no hitters. 

Hm, I think I mis-spoke myself, or at least was unclear.  When I said "in the space of a single calendar year", I meant a span of the previous twelve months, rather than the calendar year 2010.  Mark Buehrle's perfect game was less than a year ago:  that's what I was trying to incorporate into my comment.

And to round out the topic:  historically, a team that wins a perfect game more often than not goes on to lose its next game.  I only saw one score for the Phillies and Marlins today, Florida leading 1-0 somewhere in the middle of the game.  I'll be interested to learn whether the Phillies added to the next-day futility of perfect-game winners today.

OK, yea, looking at the list of perfect games the last three have been in just under 12 months.  But also looking at the list they do seem to come in groups, none for many years and then one a year for a few years.  This is the closest grouping of 3 (one this season would have been more normal).  One out of ordinary in a pattern isn't a trend, we'll have to wait to see when the next one or 2 happen.  I'd say the previous one by Braden is the odd one, no one expected him to do that, most people figured Roy was capable of doing it at some point in his career.

And yes the Phillies couldn't score a run again today, been getting shut out a lot the last 2 weeks, so they added to the "loss after perfect game" list.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #216 on: May 31, 2010, 11:26:55 AM »
Only pitcher to throw a 1 2 3 inning for the Sox tonight?

The Super Sub Bill Hall.

That ruled SO much...from a few years ago when Billy Hall couldn't do anything wrong prompted this over at my Brewer-fandom home:

http://brewersfandemonium.yuku.com/topic/6633?page=1

...for which segued into unadulterated glee:

http://brewersfandemonium.yuku.com/topic/22404/t/Can-Bill-Hall-pitch-YES.html

:D :D :D

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #217 on: May 31, 2010, 11:31:27 AM »
I'm at McCoy stadium watching the Paw Sox play today with my parents, the wife, and both kids.  Megan seems happy to play in her seat, meanwhile I've been chasing Reese back and forth all over the stadium pretty much since we got here.  He got a game ball that a player warming up missed and nearly beaned us as we were running by the right field wall.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #218 on: May 31, 2010, 04:16:19 PM »
I'm at McCoy stadium watching the Paw Sox play today with my parents, the wife, and both kids.  Megan seems happy to play in her seat, meanwhile I've been chasing Reese back and forth all over the stadium pretty much since we got here.  He got a game ball that a player warming up missed and nearly beaned us as we were running by the right field wall.

Nice..... and you dont have watch JD Drew play..... double bonus.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #219 on: June 01, 2010, 05:32:03 PM »
Only pitcher to throw a 1 2 3 inning for the Sox tonight?

The Super Sub Bill Hall.

That ruled SO much...from a few years ago when Billy Hall couldn't do anything wrong prompted this over at my Brewer-fandom home:

http://brewersfandemonium.yuku.com/topic/6633?page=1

...for which segued into unadulterated glee:

http://brewersfandemonium.yuku.com/topic/22404/t/Can-Bill-Hall-pitch-YES.html

:D :D :D

I just read all 7 pages of the Can Bill Hall Pitch? thread.  That was... AWESOME.    :D :D :D

And in response to the final comment on the "Yes he can" thread, no we don't want to swap Suppan for Hall.  We've had Suppan twice already.  :D

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #220 on: June 01, 2010, 06:40:44 PM »

Just remember, Billy Hall's moonshots make Newton's followers rethink gravity!

Oh, the fun that was 2006!!  :D

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #221 on: June 01, 2010, 11:23:54 PM »
What better way to follow a walk-off balk than a walk-off bomb by Kemp?!? Ethier's back, Ely looks like the real deal, and things are pretty good in Dodger Town.

BTW, I feel kinda bad for the D-Backs. If there's a way to lose, they will find it. That bullpen is a fucking tire fire.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #222 on: June 02, 2010, 05:28:28 AM »
BTW, I feel kinda bad for the D-Backs. If there's a way to lose, they will find it. That bullpen is a fucking tire fire.

Tell me about it, Barnes...

The D-Backs' staff: 536 H, 369 K, 177 BB, 1.53 WHIP, & 5.79 ERA
The Brewers' staff: 536 H, 399 K, 222 BB, 1.64 WHIP, & 5.38 ERA

...and this is the 2010 definition of "Trevor Time":

This season has been a nightmare, and for the fans that want a front office change, our owner addressed us during the Twins' series that we've to deal w/ it. Melvin's here for the long-haul. It's becoming pretty toxic here, and baseball is far from fun right now.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #223 on: June 02, 2010, 05:33:21 AM »
Yikes, if your aged closer has an ERA over 11, might be time to bring up the closer from AA or AAA and give them the job.

Offline Scorpy

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #224 on: June 02, 2010, 12:46:29 PM »
Aren't they keeping him around so that he can (someday) reach 600 saves?