Author Topic: The 2010 baseball thread  (Read 36164 times)

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
Re: The 2010 baseball thread
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »

It will more than likely go down as the most entertaining managed game in my lifetime...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/joe_posnanski/04/19/tony.larussa/index.html?eref=sihp

...his patented triple-switch. I just love that.  :)

And leave it to Doug Davis to inherit a 10-0 lead in the first-inning on Sunday to the lowly-Nats, and be unable to go five-innings.

*double-facapalm* 

:D
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2010, 03:34:29 AM »
I bet when the bullpen phone range in the fifth inning, the relievers jumped at the phone to get in there and get an easy W

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Not sure this is what you meant when you said you wanted to talk Rockies again...

Rockies president Keli McGregor was found dead in a hotel room in Salt Lake City on Tuesday morning.
The cause of death is so far unknown. "We didn't see anything suspicious," Salt Lake detective Rick Wall told the Denver Post Tuesday. "The official cause of death will be investigated by the Salt Lake City Medical Examiner's Office." McGregor was named president of the Rockies back in 2001 and was entering his 17th year with the organization. He was 48.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »

PED-suspension coming...

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/04/20/sources-mlb-ped-suspension-coming/

Craig Calcaterra reports that the player's in the National League...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/a-major-league-ped-suspension-is-imminent.html.php

Any guesses? Come on, Carlos Marmol...cripple that Cub's staff.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2010, 11:39:23 AM »

PED-suspension coming...

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/04/20/sources-mlb-ped-suspension-coming/

Craig Calcaterra reports that the player's in the National League...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/a-major-league-ped-suspension-is-imminent.html.php

Any guesses? Come on, Carlos Marmol...cripple that Cub's staff.

I was kinda hoping Manny would be stupid enough to get caught again.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2010, 12:16:03 PM »

Boom! Edinson Volquez...

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/12531828104

Thankfully it wasn't Randy Wolf! And k1, I'm surprised you didn't comment on this as of yet:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/04/eric-gagne-retires.html

Sure it was tainted, but that '03 season was so comically awesome. "Game Over", indeed!

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2010, 12:38:39 PM »
"...And by help my knee, I meant 'give me hulk-like superpowers'.  So that's not technically cheating is it?" - Eric Gagne

Isn't Volquez the guy with the really goofy looking delivery? Or he just looks goofy or something?  He's on the DL currently right?

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2010, 01:56:17 PM »
In Volquez's defense, you need PEDs to survive pitching for Dusty Baker.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2010, 03:54:16 PM »
In Volquez's defense, you need PEDs to survive pitching for Dusty Baker.

Very good point.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2010, 01:16:51 PM »
According to a report in the New York Times, Sony will announce today that PS3 users will gain access to live streams of Major League Baseball games. By week's end the console will enable subscriptions to the MLB.TV  service, which provides access to out-of-market contests, but not local games or others that are broadcast on TV.

The NYT doesn't have the scoop on pricing, but a web subscription to the service will run you between $100 and $120 annually, or $20 to $25 per month, depending on the features. Count on more details when the official announcement drops.

MontyServo

« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
According to a report in the New York Times, Sony will announce today that PS3 users will gain access to live streams of Major League Baseball games. By week's end the console will enable subscriptions to the MLB.TV  service, which provides access to out-of-market contests, but not local games or others that are broadcast on TV.

The NYT doesn't have the scoop on pricing, but a web subscription to the service will run you between $100 and $120 annually, or $20 to $25 per month, depending on the features. Count on more details when the official announcement drops.

I love my MLB.TV.  It lets me watch my O's every single game (on my schedule since they have all the games archived).  I usually watch the games the next day.

Even the game last Saturday against the A's, which had no television in Oakland or Baltimore.  It was on MLB.TV as an archive exclusive using the A's radio broadcast for audio.  Loved to see that.  (It had no TV because it was on during Fox's exclusive Saturday time, but even though Fox didn't air it, it couldn't be shown on TV.)  MLB.Tv has advertised that they will have every MLB game this season available, even the ones that have no local market TV.

Blackout rules do apply for live games (and also for certain live games on the weekend).  Basically all local market games are blacked out live (but you can watch the games when they hit the archive, generally 90 minutes after the game ends.)  And on the weekends, all games are blacked out live during the Fox (on Saturday) and ESPN (Sunday nights) national broadcast window.

But since I live in Florida and my team is Baltimore, the local blackout rule doesn't apply to me (unless they are playing Tampa or the Marlins).

I would imagine that the web subscription would be able to use the PS3 app, and not require a separate subscription.  I have a PC hooked to my TV, so I don't really need a PS3 app anyway.  But it could helpful to some folks.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »
I believe it is the same subscription.

MontyServo

« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2010, 07:25:49 PM »
2-16

A real heartbreaking loss tonight to the Red Sox.  We take a 3-1 lead into the bottom of the 7th and give up two 3 run homers to give Boston a 7-3 lead.

Then we manage to rally in the top of the ninth to make it 7-6 Boston.  We end up leaving 2 runners stranded as we lose our 5th in a row, 7-6 Boston.

There is always tomorrow.   :P

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2010, 05:42:17 AM »
2-16

A real heartbreaking loss tonight to the Red Sox.  We take a 3-1 lead into the bottom of the 7th and give up two 3 run homers to give Boston a 7-3 lead.

Then we manage to rally in the top of the ninth to make it 7-6 Boston.  We end up leaving 2 runners stranded as we lose our 5th in a row, 7-6 Boston.

There is always tomorrow.   :P

I really hope Wakefield starts getting some run support.  I really want to see him pass Roger as the all time wins leader on the Sox.  He's within reach of it, but he's not getting any younger.

MontyServo

« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2010, 10:14:45 AM »
Well, we beat the Red Sox yesterday in an extra inning thriller.

That only puts us at 3-16 which, by my math, puts us at least 4 1/2 games behind everyone else in baseball.

So at this point, I'm just gonna root for my team to get better.  Pick up wins where you can.  Get the young guys more experience.  And play spoiler at the end of the season by trying to beat teams that need wins for playoff aspirations.

I wouldn't even fire Dave Trembley at this point, because really what difference would it make? 

Unless they could get someone like Cal Ripken Jr. to take the helm, and then that would only be to sell tickets to the Baltimore fans.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:17:08 AM by Monty »