Author Topic: The 2010 baseball thread  (Read 36303 times)

Doctor Who?

The 2010 baseball thread
« on: March 29, 2010, 07:56:09 PM »
I decided to start a thread to talk about the new baseball season.  I should warn you i am one of those people who watches baseball and likes to play it but has no idea how any of the pro stuff works.  i have no idea what the best team is and what is worse i have no idea what a batting average even means.  I am a complete noob but i love watching it so with the season starting in a couple of weeks here is the thread.

Doctor Who?

Re: The 2010 baseball thread
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 08:12:08 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batting_average

Do this wikipeadia entry have it right?  i don't like to go by wikipeadia alone.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:16:39 PM »
Sounds like we have another entry for our nascent fantasy league.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 09:22:25 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batting_average

Do this wikipeadia entry have it right?  i don't like to go by wikipeadia alone.

Ignoring that the first part is about cricket, yes, that's correct. It's number of hits over official at bats. Over .300 is really good.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 09:56:58 PM »
Ok thanks.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 05:53:33 PM »
I decided to start a thread to talk about the new baseball season.  I should warn you i am one of those people who watches baseball and likes to play it but has no idea how any of the pro stuff works.  i have no idea what the best team is and what is worse i have no idea what a batting average even means.  I am a complete noob but i love watching it so with the season starting in a couple of weeks here is the thread.

Pirates = Bad team. 

Doctor Who?

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 05:55:53 PM »

Pirates = Bad team. 

:D

From Rifftrax I gather the Royals are not that good either.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 05:59:13 PM »

Pirates = Bad team. 

:D

From Rifftrax I gather the Royals are not that good either.

Pretty much, but the Royals can at least find a decent player occasionally like Zack Greinke.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 07:27:14 PM »
And if you go to Vegas and bet on the Cubs to win the World Series, that would be the wrong bet for over 100 years running!

And, the Cardinals are all that is good and right with the world.   Trust me on that.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 07:54:49 PM »
And if you go to Vegas and bet on the Cubs to win the World Series, that would be the wrong bet for over 100 years running!

And, the Cardinals Twins are all that is good and right with the world.   Trust me on that.

Fixed it for you.
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 05:32:44 AM »
The Yankees paid a lot of money for their team.

And they are evil.

Offline Scrivener

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7
  • P.S. Productions: Getting the last word in.
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 06:10:03 AM »
One critical thing to remember:  the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox are natural arch-enemies.  They are like a mongoose and a cobra, like Batman and the Joker.  There is no reconciling them whatsoever.

Vulgar chants about the opposing team will erupt during home games, without that team even being there, just because they hate each other so much.  Vendors outside one team's ballpark will sell T-shirts alleging unnatural sexual practices by the stars of the opposing team*.

And a fan of one will never say anything remotely complimentary, or even fair, about the other. (See post above.)

Understand this, and you will understand much about baseball in America.

* Actually, I've only seen this in Boston.  Draw what conclusion you will from this.
Buy P.S.Productions' iRiffs.  NOW AVAILABLE:

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 06:18:29 AM »
And a fan of one will never say anything remotely complimentary, or even fair, about the other. (See post above.)

You're about 99.9% correct.

Mariano Rivera is the exception.  We fear & respect him.

(And his laughing & tip of the hat when we cheered him after booing the rest of the Yankees at the start of the 05 season after the Sox getting the World Series rings passed out was awesome.)

What's even more ridiculous? Being at a BRUINS game and hearing the Yankees Suck chant. *facepalm*

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 03:23:03 PM »
Cardinals and Twins split a two game exhibition series in a likely preview of this years World Series.
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 03:32:49 PM »
Cardinals and Twins split a two game exhibition series in a likely preview of this years World Series.

I'll buy that.