Author Topic: The 2010 baseball thread  (Read 35105 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: The 2010 baseball thread
« Reply #315 on: July 09, 2010, 08:35:54 PM »
So glad the yanks didn't get Lee, doubt the Phillies record would be any different if they had kept him, most of the losses in this slump have been due to lack of hitting.   

Almost turned off the Phillies Reds game when the Reds got another run in the top of the 9th to make it 7 to 1, Leake trying for his first complete game didn't make it, Phillies get 6 in the 9th to tie, then the big man gets a walk off 2 run homer in the 10th...

Poor Leake, he only gave up one run through 8, had 3 hits, a RBI, and was a few outs away from a complete game.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #316 on: July 10, 2010, 04:16:06 PM »
Twins lose again - 4 in a row, 7 out of the last 9.  They've given up at least 6 runs in each of the last 7 games and only manage to score runs in garbage time when they've already lost. 

I said a few weeks ago and I'll say it again now - Gardenhire should fired.  Today.  Now. 

(And with Morneau out the All-Star game the Twins now have no legitimate all-stars. Mauer may have made it but he doesn't deserve it this year.)

Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #317 on: July 10, 2010, 07:39:12 PM »
Wow, 3 Phillies games in a row against the Reds have been nail biters, this one zero zero going into the 11th.  2 walk off home runs and tonight a walk off single.

Another sad one for Reds pitching, Wood was perfect going into the 9th, spoiled by Ruiz..

Halladay shut the Reds out through 9 but didn't get his 10th win.  Rollins had a chance to get Ruiz in to win it for him in the 9th, but couldn't do it until the 11th.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #318 on: July 10, 2010, 08:20:16 PM »
Seems like a lot of near perfect games this year...

anais.jude

« Reply #319 on: July 10, 2010, 11:11:29 PM »
I took Flocky to his first Rockies game tonight. They won, of course, that's 6 in a row. I have some pictures I will post to facebook at some point

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #320 on: July 11, 2010, 08:27:49 AM »
Mauer's not playing today?! Not playing!  We need a win today more than anything today and he's not playing!  Apparently he's a little banged up but he if cared about winning he should be demanding to play.  Losers, nothing but a bunch of losers.
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #321 on: July 11, 2010, 08:32:40 AM »
Mauer's not playing today?! Not playing!  We need a win today more than anything today and he's not playing!  Apparently he's a little banged up but he if cared about winning he should be demanding to play.  Losers, nothing but a bunch of losers.

Maybe they ar resting him for the home run derby tomorrow?

* ducks for cover *

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #322 on: July 11, 2010, 11:35:03 AM »
My college room mate who lives in Green Bay mentioned he hears rumors of Brewers at Fenway next season.

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #323 on: July 11, 2010, 03:38:56 PM »

You were saying?

I'm not faulting them for resting Mauer.  They should rest him MORE at this point of the season, if anything.  He's just not playing well at all right now - he's not HEALTHY.  I mean, he's only gotten worse as the year has progressed, which indicates serious wear and tear.  He ended April hitting an admittedly punchless yet still Mauer-like .345 (and really, most of the team was punchless in April, not just Mauer).  Then he followed it with a .293 May (in which he injured his heel on the basepaths).  Then a .271 June.  Thus far in July, he's hitting .229.  You can't tell me he's not in bad shape right now.

I wouldn't be entirely averse to a stint on the DL, either.I'd rather have him not play now and have his health improve later in the year than have him play crappy all year.  He's no good to us when he's hurt.  Besides, it'd give Ramos a chance to come up for a cup of coffee and maybe boost his trade value.  Just a thought.  I mean, I like the idea of Delmon or Morneau in the three-spot right now.

The problem with Mauer is that the thing that makes him valuable - the fact that his bat comes out of the catcher position (indeed, that he's still among the elite hitting catchers in the AL even in a shitty year like this one should tell you something about how rare that is) - also makes him vulnerable.  He's going to have to switch positions eventually (which will reduce his value).  We should wait a few years before that happens though.

As for the rest of the team, it can really be hard to maintain perspective when your team is playing this badly.  Baseball season is kind of like outer space - it's often hard to put into perspective how bigly, hugely LONG it is.  Yeah, they've had a lousy 30 days or so, but there's a lot of baseball left to be played.  They were 11 games back at the break in '06.  5.5 games back in '03.  4 games back last year.  They've got plenty of time left to de-suckify themselves.  Hell, the White Sox managed it, and they were playing every bit as badly.

With some fans (and I'm not saying you're one of them), I already feel like an old-timer at the age of 22 compared with some of the folks commenting on Facebook.  I mean, I remember when our team consisted of such luminaries as Denny Hocking, Rich Becker, Alex Ochoa, and Scott Fucking Stahoviak.  I remember when the best player on the team was Marty Cordova.  I remember when Todd Walker LED THE TEAM with a .279 batting average.  Now THOSE were hard times.  And I spent what little money my ten year-old ass had earned on tickets to watch a shitty-ass team like that (though at least the tickets were cheap).

Like I said earlier, I think they should make a move for Haren or (possibly) Oswalt to give this team a shot in the arm and a better, somewhat more permanent solution to their starting pitching deficiencies than Lee.  Try and make a Ryan-esque deal - none of the Twins' best pitchers of the last ten years have come out of our system (which speaks volumes about how shitty our philosophy of hoarding soft-hurling strike throwers is).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:02:06 PM by BBQ Platypus »
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #324 on: July 12, 2010, 05:36:39 PM »
Chris Berman and his fucking BACK BACK BACK routine ruins another home run derby

AND he is being inducted in the nfl hall of fame next year, and Don Coreyll is not  :angry:

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #325 on: July 12, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »
Chris Berman and his fucking BACK BACK BACK routine ruins another home run derby

:gouge: :gouge: :gouge: :gouge: :gouge: :gouge: :gouge: :gouge: :gouge: :gouge: :gouge: :gouge: :gouge: :gouge: :gouge:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #326 on: July 12, 2010, 06:03:52 PM »

Just think "quack quack quack quack" in your head to get through it.  ;D

What a surprise, ignore the derby for a while because they wanted to BS with A-Rod.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #327 on: July 12, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
Cedric Maxwell calling Celtics games uses "Quack quack quack".

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #328 on: July 12, 2010, 06:22:27 PM »
Cedric Maxwell calling Celtics games uses "Quack quack quack".

Well, then I guess it won't work for Celtics fans...

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #329 on: July 12, 2010, 06:51:53 PM »
Thankfully he doesn't do it as much as Back Back Berman.