login

Author Topic: Comedies will most likely never be riffed  (Read 20889 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4951
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Comedies will most likely never be riffed
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2011, 06:45:32 PM »
I heard the Chris Hardwick and the Nerdist guys are considering riffing Teen Wolf or Back to the Future 2.
I would love to hear a riff of Teen Wolf. It definitely has an inherantly goofy premis take relatively seriously by the characters in the film, like Back to the Future. And that's why the Back to the Future riff worked so well. Well, that one had Doc Brown, and he is a godsend to a riffer. But still, Teen Wolf would be great. Plus, the fat kid on the basketball team is the dullard Ozzy in Leprechaun, and Francis from PeeWee.

Online RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2297
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2011, 07:13:01 PM »
I know this might be unpopular to say, but a lot of the Back to the Future riff didn't work at all for me. While it had some good jokes, and a few great ones, it also had a lot of lines fall flat. The "Foreshadowing!!!" running joke for example. It wasnt even a joke, just pointing out what is actually happening in the movie without a punchline. It comes across like the riffers thinking "well we need to say something." In those moments the movie becomes much funnier than the riff, and that's the biggest danger of any comedy riff. Once the movie outshines you, it's hard to get the momentum back.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Watchman

« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »
I think camp can be a strange think were the humour is actually there as it is,  but because of the nature of it, it is easier to comment on than conventional humour.

The problem with camp nowadays is that most if it is too self-aware, with actors playing it in a *wink wink nudge nudge* sort of way, or aping the style of genuine older camp movies. It not the same when you set out to be camp, just like you can't set out to make a cult classic.

I don't think it's entirely unfair to say that Rocky Horror (or, rather, its phenomenon) ruined camp.

Once the movie outshines you, it's hard to get the momentum back.  

Very true. But this is why I think it's possible to riff bad comedies that have no chance at outshining you. Something like Rat Race which features 90 unfunny minutes of idiotic celebrity pratfalls. "OMG, Whoopi Goldberg's trying to drive down a mountainside, LOL! STOP THE PRESSES, Cuba Gooding Jr's hijacked a busfull of Lucille Ball impersonators, ROFLOL!!!!!!!"* With a serious, "heartwarming" ending at a Smash Mouth concert, to boot.

*(I'm aware that some people do enjoy Rat Race. I'm not mocking you, I'm mocking the movie. I simply found it embarrassingly unfunny.)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 08:00:59 PM by Katonic »

Watchman

« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2011, 07:59:28 PM »
*meant to delete*
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 08:01:22 PM by Katonic »

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 76
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2011, 03:06:42 PM »
Bill said in a recent interview (relating to TWILIGHT films), movies that take themselves seriously are perfect for Rifftrax.

Though CATELINA CAPER is probably my most favorite MST3K Joel episode.
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

Invader_quirk

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2012, 09:00:32 AM »
I can't make it through Catalina Caper or Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (though I did enjoy the CT version more). I also thought BttF was a decent attempt at riffing a comedy, but ultimately reinforced my belief that comedy riffs don't work. At least they don't for me. Most of the fun of a riff is cutting down an over-dramatic movie down to size, in my opinion.

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 76
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
Re: Comedies will never be riffed
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2012, 06:33:09 PM »
I don't think Rifftrax wants to riff comedies, but Cinester Theater (and a few others) have proven that a comedy can be riffed if the subject matter is goofy but the characters take the situation seriously.

Which movies?  People have strange notions of what constitutes a comedy, and will lump a movie that is mostly serious with a lighthearted tone (Back to the Future, Ocean's Eleven, Catalina Caper) with outright farces (Daddy Day Camp, Paul Blart Mall Cop, Joe Dirt, Epic Movie).

I don't think anyone has ever riffed a true, outright, farcical comedy.
EPIC MOVIE is terrible, lazy, and just plain not funny. Riff material? :speechless:
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

Offline pstokely

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2012, 12:30:43 AM »
I don't think Rifftrax wants to riff comedies, but Cinester Theater (and a few others) have proven that a comedy can be riffed if the subject matter is goofy but the characters take the situation seriously.

Which movies?  People have strange notions of what constitutes a comedy, and will lump a movie that is mostly serious with a lighthearted tone (Back to the Future, Ocean's Eleven, Catalina Caper) with outright farces (Daddy Day Camp, Paul Blart Mall Cop, Joe Dirt, Epic Movie).

I don't think anyone has ever riffed a true, outright, farcical comedy.
EPIC MOVIE is terrible, lazy, and just plain not funny. Riff material? :speechless:

Is Daddy Day Camp?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2163
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2012, 07:33:48 PM »
Well technically, a Comedy is any movie with a happy ending. Opposite of a tragedy...

Offline rifftraxnator

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »
Well, not necessarily true given how so many comedies these days are the dark kind as well.

Again, The Room is considered a dark comedy by it's creator but since that film has a cult fanbase (possibly almost as high as Twilight), made numerous "Worst Films of All Time" lists and was considered to be unintentionally amusing, it was riffed here.

They're also NOT going to riff intentionally bad movies like anything by The Asylum, intentionally cheesy SyFy Original movies or even Birdemic 2/Hobgoblins 2.

For the record, Casablanca has never been considered a comedy (it is however considered to be a pleasant classic drama) and was just done on a dare between the crew to see if they could even parody one of their favorite movies of all time.

Ocean's 11 and Back to the Future both have comedic elements but are both Crime and SciFi respectively. In other words, they were "Part-comedy, part-[insert genre]" not a full-based comedy like something Woody Allen, Judd Apatow, Kevin Smith or Frank Capra would make. This is largely due to the RiffTrax crew agreeing with Joel, Trace & the Cinematic Titanic crew that making fun of other comedy would just make one look like a pompous ass (their words not mine) due to it's subjective nature and basically abusing the premise in exchange for mean-spirited laughs.

For instance, let's say you're not a fan of a popular sitcom and you decided to mock it right there and then. Who's the bigger idiot: You or the people on the small screen? My brother and I used to do this with newer episodes of Sesame Street and it was no fun at all...

For the record, I do agree that if it's something as goofy as Santa Claus Conquers the Martians or a low budget "comedy" like Manos that it can work because there's enough "WTF?" type moments and nonsense to where you have to wonder what the filmmakers were thinking at the time as well as other elements that keep within the original riffing premise.

Making fun of something as tasteless as Epic Movie isn't going to win any favors since you can't do much with a poor parody except remark on how insipid it truly is, which again, is arguably not funny, it's now turning into a rant session such as That Guy With The Glasses.

As for why they parodied a short film of The Three Stooges, they were mainly doing what they did with Ed Wood's Plan 9 From Outer Space, Reefer Madness and the various Godzilla/Gamera films in just appreciating the campiness of it all while also having fun with the inevitable flaws that are bound to occur in such movies.

Offline JonahFalconNYC

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2015, 11:21:36 AM »
Mike and company watched "Who's Your Caddy?", and I don't think we'll ever see that riffed LOL

Offline RobThom

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2015, 03:51:22 AM »
It would be funny to riff a comedy by someone who's totally unfunny.
Like a seth rogan.

But that would violate the comedy fraternity.

Although thats also what would be so crass, absurdest and funny about it.
Mike, Bill and Kev know that.
They would even riff themselves.