Author Topic: Comedies will most likely never be riffed  (Read 30947 times)

Offline AJMoosie

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
Re: Comedies will most likely never be riffed
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2010, 03:10:38 PM »
Not even a Pauly Shore movie? I know riffing on Pauly Shore is shooting fish in a barrel, but damn it, let's resurrect this 90s relic for the sake of shits 'n' giggles.

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2010, 03:25:39 PM »
Didn't he do that himself with Pauly Shore is Dead?

Offline TLARS699

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
as for a movie unlikely to be riffed (Prior to reading the list)
Mars Attacks.
I thought this movie was hilarious.

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2010, 09:35:40 PM »
Not even a Pauly Shore movie? I know riffing on Pauly Shore is shooting fish in a barrel, but damn it, let's resurrect this 90s relic for the sake of shits 'n' giggles.

<a href="http://blip.tv/play/gbk7gc3jSgI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://blip.tv/play/gbk7gc3jSgI</a>

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5644
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2010, 06:09:57 AM »
as for a movie unlikely to be riffed (Prior to reading the list)
Mars Attacks.
I thought this movie was hilarious.
I love Mars Attacks! I think it could be riffed by Cinester Theater. They are good at riffing comedies that take their silly premis seriously.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 618
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2010, 12:30:54 PM »
How about  return of swamp thing  ;D

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2010, 09:37:33 PM »
Shall I mention the gorilla in the room?

High School Musical is a comedy.   ;)

Offline byuni

• Schnappi Supporter
  • I'm Bob Rifftrax!
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2010, 07:45:34 PM »
Kind of.  It's a horrendously unfunny comedy.

Offline stupid

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2010, 08:13:02 PM »
At the moment, if I had to pick a comedy to be riffed, it would be the god awful Grown Ups.
I've tried twice to get through this, and have yet to pass the 20 minute mark.

shodan

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2011, 10:19:20 PM »
 i think movies like catalina caper and santa clause conquers the martians, and the fact that all the comedies mst3k did (even though there arent many) were amongst the more memorable episodes, prove that comedies can be riffed but it takes a special kind of stupid in the movie to be done right. like for one you cant improve on a good comdey much so they arent that riffable. imagine trying to tackle airplane or naked gun. and spoofs because theyre *meant* to be ridiculous and stupid i dont think can be riffed. that just leaves you with bad comedies but even then you gotta find the right ones. like i don't see dude wheres my car, little fockers or macgruber being riffed successfully even though they're bad. what it takes in a comedy for it to be riffable i think is not for the jokes to fail. its for the jokes to fail crash,burn, fall off a cliff, hit the rocks, drown, get pulled back up to the surface,and onto a beach, only then for the ambulance to fall in a trash compactor on the way to the hospital. its not just saying 'meh' to a bad joke or even 'that was stupid', but cringing  and thinking"jesus christ did they really try and pull that?'. sort of a watching a train wreck thing. but even then the humor has to be bad in new and different ways to be able to get good material from a whole movie. thats where mst3k got the jokes from when they did comedies or made fun of jokes in the movie . thats why mk&b do  puns in the riffing, not because they're funny in and of themselves but the'yre so bad and the fact that they do it in all seriousness, usually followed with a "go to hell mike" "already there Bill" that makes em funny. i think as far as a scale goes SCCTM would be a good movie to compare a comedy against to see if its riffable cause not only did mst3k do an awesome job with it, but cinematic titanic re-riffed it and it was still funny. like i said, a special kind of stupid.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 10:37:00 PM by shodan »

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2011, 07:53:44 AM »
Hey, Loaded Weapon 1 was hilarious.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2011, 08:11:50 AM »
I think someone could pull off a romatic comedy though. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5644
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2011, 09:58:38 AM »
Back to the Future is essentially a romantic comedy (albeit an unconventional one), and Cinester Theater riffed it spectacularly. It's all about riffing everything except the jokes themselves.
The exception to that would be the exceptionally unfunny pratfalls in Catalina Caper, but that was still done sparingly, not through the whole movie.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2011, 11:06:06 AM »
Back to the Future is essentially a romantic comedy (albeit an unconventional one), and Cinester Theater riffed it spectacularly. It's all about riffing everything except the jokes themselves.
The exception to that would be the exceptionally unfunny pratfalls in Catalina Caper, but that was still done sparingly, not through the whole movie.
Stop saying that.  Back to the Future and Catalina Caper were clearly dramatic movies with a comedic element!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5087
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2011, 06:38:35 PM »
Stop saying that.  Back to the Future and Catalina Caper were clearly dramatic movies with a comedic element!

I'm not sure I'd use the word "dramatic" with Catalina Caper, but I get what you are saying.  Still, I think that the reason Catalina can be riffed is the style of humour it uses, which is bland toothless humour and it's camp.  I think camp can be a strange think were the humour is actually there as it is,  but because of the nature of it, it is easier to comment on than conventional humour.

I heard the Chris Hardwick and the Nerdist guys are considering riffing Teen Wolf or Back to the Future 2.