Author Topic: Comedies will most likely never be riffed  (Read 20229 times)

Online RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Comedies will never be riffed
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2010, 02:50:27 PM »
I don't think Rifftrax wants to riff comedies, but Cinester Theater (and a few others) have proven that a comedy can be riffed if the subject matter is goofy but the characters take the situation seriously.

Which movies?  People have strange notions of what constitutes a comedy, and will lump a movie that is mostly serious with a lighthearted tone (Back to the Future, Ocean's Eleven, Catalina Caper) with outright farces (Daddy Day Camp, Paul Blart Mall Cop, Joe Dirt, Epic Movie).

I don't think anyone has ever riffed a true, outright, farcical comedy.

I think the point is that comedy is so open. I'd agree that a farce or parody is probably the worst choice for a riff this side of Schindlers List, but that's not the  point that was made here. If the subject was "no parodies will ever be riffed" so to keep people from suggesting Epic Movie or Meet the Spartans or something I don think anyone would have debated it
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Serai

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
Re: Comedies will most likely not get riffed.
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2010, 10:38:40 PM »
Many years ago when I was working the SoCal Renaissance Faire, I asked Adam Long (the founder of the Reduced Shakespeare Company) why he and his cohorts didn't parody any of Shakespeare's comedies.  In my naivete, I thought "Taming of the Shrew" would be perfect for them.  He answered me with a piece of wisdom I've often pondered:

"Comedies aren't funny."

He was right then and you guys are right now.  It's useless to even attempt a parody of a comedy.  The more solemn and puffed-up a film is, the better it is for Rifftrax.  Case in point - the masterpiece that is the RT version of the Matrix trilogy.  It's the only way I can watch the 2nd and 3rd parts of that, because the originals are so utterly brain-destroying.

Offline Audrey II

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2010, 10:33:44 PM »
But there were some good MST3K riffs on comedies.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 08:44:29 AM »
Please delete this thread so that I stop taking the heat. I am not the one who said comedies will not be riffed Mike,Bill,and Kevin are.  They did it many time.  Please go after them and let me move on.  I admitted that I got the fact wrong.  Please someone delete this thread.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:03:54 PM by Doctor Who? »

Online RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 01:21:36 PM »
There was one and it was so unfunny I didn't make it past the 40 minute mark.  Also this is all mute any way.  My point was that all three of the guys have said they are never going to do a comedy again,so it's pointless to ask them to to it.  We really need a Request an iRiff child board here.

Please show me where this quote is.  I've seen them say they tend to avoid comedies, and torgos said "almost certainly never", but where is this quote where they say they'll "absolutely never" do one again?

And which one MST3K are you talking about?  Catalina Caper?  Cause I liked that one.  Not my favorite but I liked it. 

gum.co/RFTthing

MontyServo

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2010, 01:42:56 PM »
There was one and it was so unfunny I didn't make it past the 40 minute mark.  Also this is all mute any way.  My point was that all three of the guys have said they are never going to do a comedy again,so it's pointless to ask them to to it.  We really need a Request an iRiff child board here.

Please show me where this quote is.  I've seen them say they tend to avoid comedies, and torgos said "almost certainly never", but where is this quote where they say they'll "absolutely never" do one again?

And which one MST3K are you talking about?  Catalina Caper?  Cause I liked that one.  Not my favorite but I liked it. 

Hobgoblins was almost certainly supposed to be a comedy as well.

Some might argue that The Room was a comedy.  It certainly is pretty funny unriffed.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 07:49:40 PM »

Someone please delete this thread,I was wrong.  I made a mistake please delete this thread so that we can all move on.

I can't report my own posts would one of you guys please report this thread so that the mods will delete it like I asked them to a while ago.

I am sorry for causing all this trouble I had no idea what i was talking about.

Also i asked for this thread to be deleted,why was it stuck up here instead?  I said I was wrong but instead of the thread being deleted it was kept up here so that I would keep getting flamed,why?

If the mods want a sticky thread up here saying what the guys have said they can make it themselves. I am don't taking the heat for Mike and Bills Lies.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:59:45 PM by Doctor Who? »

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Mods please delete this thread. Thank you.
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2010, 08:12:31 PM »
I like this thread :P

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked:
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2010, 08:17:38 PM »
NOBODY on this thread has flamed you, you nutter.  They have only disagreed.
Scottotd on Instagram or @Scottotd on the Tweety :)

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2010, 08:27:03 PM »
It doesn't matter I only started this thread because Mike,Kevin,and Bill lied to the whole world.  Now instead of going after them and calling them out for their lies people are coming after me.  I want this thread delete.  I asked for it to be deleted and instead it was stuck at the top of the page so i would continue to take the heat for other people's lies.  This is not how costumers should be treated if they want any more of my money they need to come in here and start taking the heat for their lies.

They lied to the inter world and they should be the ones taking the hits. Everyone I admitted I was wrong please direct your complains to the people who lied to world and tried to hang it on someone who had nothing to do with it.

Online RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2010, 09:43:29 PM »
Doc, it shouldn't be this big a deal. I don't think you've been lied to, in general comedies are not riffed and as a rule they are considered unriffable most of the time.  There have been exceptions and there might or might not be more in the future. We've been talking about the possibilities in this thread and whether or not we'd like to see more in the future. No one is in this thread to flame you. The reason the thread got stickied is you raised a point important enough the mods thought it should be highly visible. Take some solace in that, calm down, and move on if you can.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2010, 03:47:24 AM »
Does your browser really not have one of these buttons in your posts?

Doctor Who?

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2010, 06:12:30 AM »
Does your browser really not have one of these buttons in your posts?

No it doesn't for some reason. Sorry I flipped out. I must be more stressed out then I thought,sorry.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:24:53 AM by Doctor Who? »

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked:
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: Comedies will most likely never be riffed
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2010, 06:39:30 AM »
forget the thread, how do you make your browser all picture-y like that??
Scottotd on Instagram or @Scottotd on the Tweety :)

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Doctor Who?

Re: Comedies will most likely never be riffed
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2010, 06:55:59 AM »
Oh that's just a persona for Firefox.  If you go to get the latest version of Firefox you can choose one.  There are thousands out there,all nicely sorted.  I think there may even be a Rifftrax persona.

Here is a link to where you can get them.

http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 07:00:54 AM by Doctor Who? »