Author Topic: Comedies will most likely never be riffed  (Read 20230 times)

MontyServo

Re: Comedies will never be riffed
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 08:10:31 AM »
I have never heard them out and out say that they will never ever riff comedies.  Only that they wouldn't likely do them for various reasons.

That said, they have done some in the past and there is nothing to say that they won't do some in the future.

Was Ocean's 11 chosen by the guest riffer?  That might explain why that particular comedy was chosen.. (And yes, it is a comedy. Comedy has a very broad definition.  Not everything is Duck Soup and Blazing Saddles.)

I guess comedies are riffed all the time.  Sorry I should have done more research.  Please delete this thread,mods.  Since they have done it in the past they really need to stop saying that they don't riff comedies,because they do it all the time.

That's really mature.  "Not everyone agrees with me, so delete the thread."  I don't care if you were being sarcastic, it's a really dumb way to end a discussion.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 08:14:44 AM »
Oh for crying out loud.  This thread no longer serves a point,that is why I am asking for it to be deleted.  I knew it was just going to turn into a flame war with personal attacks so i was trying to stop that before it started.  I was wrong.  I should have done some research that is all I meant.

MontyServo

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 08:21:18 AM »
Oh for crying out loud.  This thread no longer serves a point,that is why I am asking for it to be deleted.  I knew it was just going to turn into a flame war with personal attacks so i was trying to stop that before it started.  I was wrong.  I should have done some research that is all I meant.

The thread does serve a purpose.  It is a hearty debate about the possibility of comedies being riffed and whether or not it is a good idea to suggest them.

You had your point of view, some folks agreed with it, others disagreed.

Where do you see a flame war?  Where do you see personal attacks?  All I see is a discussion, there is no right or wrong opinion.

I am of the opinion that some comedies would absolutely work as Rifftrax.  Some of them would not work at all.  What is the harm in letting folks suggest a movie?  Why is that considered a "waste of time and bandwidth"?

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 08:23:57 AM »
I guess comedies are riffed all the time.  Sorry I should have done more research.  Please delete this thread,mods.  Since they have done it in the past they really need to stop saying that they don't riff comedies,because they do it all the time.
Now-now doc.. It's no biggie ;D

Doctor Who?

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 08:32:39 AM »
My point of view is wrong and it goes against the facts.  The facts are that some of the best riffs have been comedies so this whole thread is pointless and at some point it will become a flamewar.  Carry on if you want but I will have nothing more to do with it I was an idiot and I was dead wrong. Sorry.

MontyServo

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 08:45:29 AM »
My point of view is wrong and it goes against the facts.  The facts are that some of the best riffs have been comedies so this whole thread is pointless and at some point it will become a flamewar.  Carry on if you want but I will have nothing more to do with it I was an idiot and I was dead wrong. Sorry.

Lighten up a bit, dude.

Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean you are wrong.  It just means that there are different opinions.  Why create so much drama?

Offline goflyblind

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 08:47:46 AM »
That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked:
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Re: Comedies will most likely not get riffed.
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 09:07:40 AM »
Ladies, please, you're ALL pretty!

I stickied this and changed the original subject to be a little more vague while still giving the point. Ocean's 11 was chosen by Richard Cheese, for starters; and 2, I don't really consider that a comedy. Yes, it is funny, but first and foremost it's a heist / caper movie (besides a remake).

But the original point of the thread is still true and accurate: comedies will almost certainly never be riffed by The Guys.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 09:09:06 AM »
Where do you see a flame war?  Where do you see personal attacks?

Him?  Everywhere. That's why he's always throwing fuel....

BTW, DW.....you can lock your own thread.  Down at the bottom of the page.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 09:17:21 AM »
But the original point of the thread is still true and accurate: comedies will almost certainly never be riffed by The Guys.
YOU LIE!!!

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 09:28:57 AM »
YOU LIE!!!

"almost certainly never" is great politician speak....   ;)

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes"

Doctor Who?

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 09:50:58 AM »

I stickied this and changed the original subject to be a little more vague while still giving the point. Ocean's 11 was chosen by Richard Cheese, for starters; and 2, I don't really consider that a comedy. Yes, it is funny, but first and foremost it's a heist / caper movie (besides a remake).

Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:23:47 AM by Doctor Who? »

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 10:00:15 AM »
Hey.....The Room is a comedy.....according to it's director, author and star.   ;)

MontyServo

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 10:15:33 AM »

"Almost certainly" is the key part there.  I never disagreed with that.  But to come out and say they NEVER will be, and that it is pointless to even suggest it,   That was a bit overboard.  That's the part that got under my skin, trying to tell people what they could or could not suggest.  What is the harm in suggesting anything and everything? Rifftrax has done Casablanca and The Room.  That seems to suggest right there that anything is possible.  Especially where a guest riffer is involved.

(And Ocean's 11 was a comedy.  Certainly a comedy more than it was a drama or an action film.)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 12:02:10 PM »
I don't think Rifftrax wants to riff comedies, but Cinester Theater (and a few others) have proven that a comedy can be riffed if the subject matter is goofy but the characters take the situation seriously.

Which movies?  People have strange notions of what constitutes a comedy, and will lump a movie that is mostly serious with a lighthearted tone (Back to the Future, Ocean's Eleven, Catalina Caper) with outright farces (Daddy Day Camp, Paul Blart Mall Cop, Joe Dirt, Epic Movie).

I don't think anyone has ever riffed a true, outright, farcical comedy.