login

Author Topic: Comedies will most likely never be riffed  (Read 20888 times)

Doctor Who?

Comedies will most likely never be riffed
« on: March 27, 2010, 07:34:05 PM »
EDIT by torgosPizza to change the subject in reflection of the actual content.

I am just pointing out what the inter rifftrax group have said many time both in interviews and online.  Feel free to debate if it is a good idea or not,I am just repeating what they have said.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:16:07 AM by Doctor Who? »

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 564
  • Riff Super Monsters
Re: Comedies will never be riffed
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 07:39:58 PM »
I am not trying to be rude and i am not mad I just think this thread could save a lot of time.  It doesn't matter if the movie is funny or not in the past the guys have tried to riff comedies that are not funny but it didn't work and they have made it clear they will not do any comedies ever again.  So it will not help to ask for it and it doesn't matter how unfunny you think the movie is.  Just trying to let you know in the interest of saving time and bandwidth.

darn man i thought you were going to start spiting fire or somthing
Academy Days by henry88 aka  Ghost of Criswell
https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3299939/1/Academy-Days mind dropping a review or perhaps sharing some ideas via pm

Doctor Who?

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 07:44:46 PM »
I am not trying to be rude I know alot of people new to riffing don't know the history of it and don't know what has been said so many times about riffing comedies by the guys,i am just trying to let them know.  it seemed like a good idea given the number of threads in this section that are asking for comedies to be riffed.

Offline pstokely

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 09:41:02 PM »
not even crappy family comedies like Daddy Day Camp and Cop and a 1/2?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4951
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 09:49:17 PM »
I think Doctor Who's purpose is that by having a thread who's title is this, then noobs would see it and not suggest them. The problem is that unless it is stickied, it's not going to be on the first page long.

I don't think Rifftrax wants to riff comedies, but Cinester Theater (and a few others) have proven that a comedy can be riffed if the subject matter is goofy but the characters take the situation seriously.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 10:20:31 PM »
I think Doctor Who's purpose is that by having a thread who's title is this, then noobs would see it and not suggest them. The problem is that unless it is stickied, it's not going to be on the first page long.

I don't think Rifftrax wants to riff comedies, but Cinester Theater (and a few others) have proven that a comedy can be riffed if the subject matter is goofy but the characters take the situation seriously.

This has been pounded into the ground. Doc is right in pointing out (several times) that the official RT crew has made it pretty clear that they are not going to riff comedies. And Darth is spot on with his suggestion to sticky this point. If you're looking for a comedy to be riffed, then the place to suggest it is in the Request a iRiff! thread.

Cinester Theater has proven that comedies can not only be riffed, but riffed very well. That's the great thing about iRiffs; you get a bunch of different approaches and perspectives. Not to mention an absolutely brilliant take on Howard the Duck.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

MontyServo

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 11:57:30 PM »
Ocean's 11 was a comedy.  And they riffed that.  It turned out pretty well, as I remember.  I enjoyed it.

You could even say that Willy Wonka was a bit of a comedy.  And that one was pretty good as well.

So it will not help to ask for it and it doesn't matter how unfunny you think the movie is.

This is a rather pretentious statement.  As far as I'm concerned, people can ask for whatever they feel like to be riffed.  Anything is fair game.  You never know what will be picked.  And it certainly doesn't hurt to put your suggestion out there.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:10:01 AM by Monty »

Online RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2297
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 01:04:28 AM »
Ocean's 11 was a comedy.  And they riffed that.  It turned out pretty well, as I remember.  I enjoyed it.

You could even say that Willy Wonka was a bit of a comedy.  And that one was pretty good as well.

So it will not help to ask for it and it doesn't matter how unfunny you think the movie is.

This is a rather pretentious statement.  As far as I'm concerned, people can ask for whatever they feel like to be riffed.  Anything is fair game.  You never know what will be picked.  And it certainly doesn't hurt to put your suggestion out there.

I have to agree. Some things won't be riffed, sure.  That doesn't mean you should immediately dismiss something just if it's a comedy. Hobgoblins was pretty obviously a comedy. (I'm going by the fact that every other line is some kind of lame attempt at a joke). That turned into one of my favorite MST episodes. I've never seen anyone from Rifftrax say that they'll never do a comedy, instead they say things like "we tend to avoid comedies" thus leaving the option open when a good exception is found.

Little Shop of Horrors was a dark comedy. Swing parade was a musical comedy with the frigging Stooges in it.  As mentioned Oceans 11 also worked and they've done a few with heavy comic relief like Pirates of the Carribean. 
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1219
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 03:50:35 AM »
Personally I thought Oceans showed why doing comedy is probably a bad idea, I hear Drag me to Hell is much the same with the riffs basically pointing out the jokes as though the movie was meant to be serious.

That said I still think people should be able to suggest and discuss whatever they want, I remember in the very early days of this board being abused by PM for suggesting horror movies be riffed.  You might as well tell people not to suggest anything that's already been released if you only want to talk about movies that stand a better than 50% chance of being riffed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 06:01:15 AM by ScottH »
Scottotd on Instagram or @Scottotd on the Tweety :)

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 07:24:35 AM »
I always thought Ocean's 11 was a crime/heist movie.  Just because something has a few jokes in it doesn't make it a comedy.  I am talking about out and out comedies and the guys have been very clear that those will never be riffed.

Offline goflyblind

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 6489
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 07:30:52 AM »
they should riff clerks.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2947
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 07:38:19 AM »
I'm a sad Panda :(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 1
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 07:45:33 AM »
It doesn't matter if the movie is funny or not in the past the guys have tried to riff comedies that are not funny but it didn't work.....

Like Catalina Caper, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Attack of the the Eye Creatures, The Wild, Wild World of Batwoman, Village of the Giants and probably Hobgoblins (if we're talking about original intent)?

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2947
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 07:48:36 AM »
It doesn't matter if the movie is funny or not in the past the guys have tried to riff comedies that are not funny but it didn't work.....

Like Catalina Caper, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Attack of the the Eye Creatures, The Wild, Wild World of Batwoman, Village of the Giants and probably Hobgoblins (if we're talking about original intent)?
Or that 3 Stooges movie?! (after MST3k) :o

Doctor Who?

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 07:59:44 AM »
I guess comedies are riffed all the time.  Sorry I should have done more research.  Please delete this thread,mods.  Since they have done it in the past they really need to stop saying that they don't riff comedies,because they do it all the time.