Author Topic: So after seeing all those innocent humans being killed...  (Read 10996 times)

Shamalama

Re: So after seeing all those innocent humans being killed...
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2010, 09:50:19 PM »
It's a standard problem for ALL vampire genre movies, TV shows, and novels.  One math professor calculated how many people all the Sunnydale vampires shown over the 7 year life of that series would have had to kill if they only ate once a night per night they were shown in the series.  He had all kinds of variables like excluding a certain number Buffy was shown staking the first time they appear on screen and stuff, but the final tally was still over 100,000.  That many people dead and the national guard wasn't called in?  That Mayor must have had some pull.

It's a serious problem you have to deal with if you set out to write in the vampire genre.  Which is why I think Bram Stoker had Dracula feeding off the same person for days and weeks so it comes across as some kind of wasting disease and the death at the end doesn't draw much attention.  With that kind of feeding pattern you could live off 12 or so babes a year and never draw massive attention.

This is why I though Near Dark is one of the best vampire flicks.  They had to travel around because essentially the life of a vampire is pretty much that of a serial killer.  My only complaint was the end when they "cured" vampirism :gouge:

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 02:52:17 PM »
It's a standard problem for ALL vampire genre movies, TV shows, and novels.  One math professor calculated how many people all the Sunnydale vampires shown over the 7 year life of that series would have had to kill if they only ate once a night per night they were shown in the series.  He had all kinds of variables like excluding a certain number Buffy was shown staking the first time they appear on screen and stuff, but the final tally was still over 100,000.  That many people dead and the national guard wasn't called in?  That Mayor must have had some pull.

It's a serious problem you have to deal with if you set out to write in the vampire genre.  Which is why I think Bram Stoker had Dracula feeding off the same person for days and weeks so it comes across as some kind of wasting disease and the death at the end doesn't draw much attention.  With that kind of feeding pattern you could live off 12 or so babes a year and never draw massive attention.

This is why I though Near Dark is one of the best vampire flicks.  They had to travel around because essentially the life of a vampire is pretty much that of a serial killer.  My only complaint was the end when they "cured" vampirism :gouge:

Skip Daybreakers then.   ;)

Offline Dustin

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 02:31:55 AM »
Let's not jump to conclusions: we don't know that those tourists were innocent.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2379
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 03:09:39 AM »

That's a good point.  Maybe the vampires spied on a bunch of humans, found some evil idiots, and discreetly sent them some free tour coupons.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5533
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 05:53:20 AM »

That's a good point.  Maybe the vampires spied on a bunch of humans, found some evil idiots, and discreetly sent them some free tour coupons.
If that's true, then I would be impressed. It is Italy after all, there is no shortage of Mafia.

Offline Tony Farms AKA Puma Man

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 52
  • Anus Insurance?
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 04:02:12 PM »
Not only that, but how do we know they were screaming because they were being killed?  They very well may be screaming because they walked in on the Volturi's weekly Nude Twister night.

Offline Tony Farms AKA Puma Man

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 52
  • Anus Insurance?
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 04:06:51 PM »
Also, I ran across this:

The Volturi are known for their amazing and special powers. Jane and Alec, twins and members of the guard, are credited and worshiped for having the most useful powers. Jane can cause someone to believe that they are feeling pain. This excruciating pain makes it easy for the Volturi to attack and destroy their enemies. Alec's powers are also useful when attacking the enemy. He can cut off all senses making the prey unable to see, hear or feel anything, enabling them to kill the victims without a fight. Aro, one of the leaders, can hear every single thought a person/vampire has ever had upon making physical contact with that person. Marcus, also one of the leaders, can sense relationships. Demetri, a member of the guard, is a tracker. He can track a person down once he has the tenor of their mind.

Wait...

The twins can fuck you up numerous ways, the one guy can read your thoughts, the other guy can find you wherever you go.

The other dude can.. SENSE RELATIONSHIPS?  What kind of shitty vampire power is that?

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 04:19:41 PM »
The other dude can.. SENSE RELATIONSHIPS?  What kind of shitty vampire power is that?

Ooh, that sucks. That like that poor bastard in Captain Planet with the "Heart" power.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2010, 05:30:16 PM »

Ooh, that sucks. That like that poor bastard in Captain Planet with the "Heart" power.
Bhargav Dronamraju?

Also, why "the power to cause pain"? He has super strength and speed, I think he can hurt you pretty bad already.

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2010, 05:45:07 PM »
Bhargav Dronamraju?

Gesundheit!

or

The Worst Scrabble hand I've ever seen.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2010, 07:43:59 PM »

Well, then they'd be more likely to be missed in this society....

Part of the "Pretty, blonde girl" theory of missing persons.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2010, 10:26:10 PM »
They very well may be screaming because they walked in on the Volturi's weekly Nude Twister night.

EW!!!!  Once you've seen THAT mental image, you can never unsee it!
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »
Bella isn't disturbed because she read the books, and she knows that she won't have any problem controlling her thirst.

Also, she's not disturbed because she can't really relate to or care about living humans, bar a few exceptions (read: Mom. That's it.) Her human "Friends' are nothing more than a pretense. If Edward ever dumps her, worm guy and company will just become Bella's post-breakup comfort binge.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2010, 01:01:38 AM »
Maybe this is all just a huge slam on vegetarians....

Bella won't eat animals but she'll stand by and let humans be slaughtered.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2010, 06:05:16 AM »
Maybe this is all just a huge slam on vegetarians....

Bella won't eat animals but she'll stand by and let humans be slaughtered.
Could be. The idea of the Cullens calling themselves "vegetarians" because they eat animals, not humans is so silly.