login

Author Topic: Levelling shorts volume for shorts with no source audio available  (Read 1216 times)

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 188
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
Sixteen of the shorts didn't have source audio included in the download files, so leveling the volume of the shorts with other shorts (for DVD compilations) was challenging given how much the volume levels vary. This was especially true for the shorts that had riff audio lower than the source audio. Fortunately, the two worst offenders ("Back to School" and "Highway Mania") included the riff-only audio, so those could be improved.

Below are the sixteen shorts, with how much I amplified each audio track to make its volume close to that of the others:

Back to School with Joan Miller (-3dB, add riff amplified by -8db and with about 0.022 sec cut from beginning)
Highway Mania  (-2dB, add riff amplified by -7db and with about 0.022 sec cut from beginning)
The Bill of Rights in Action (no change)
Wing, Claw and Fang (+3dB)
The Tale of Moose Baby (-4dB)
Flying Stewardess (-5dB)
Constance Bennett's Daily Beauty Rituals (+3dB)
Teenagers on Trial (-5dB)
Cork Crashes and Curiosities (-5dB)
What it Means to be an American - Part 1 (-5dB)
The Case of Tommy Tucker - Part 1 (-5dB)
What it Means to be an American - Part 2 (-5dB)
The Case of Tommy Tucker - Part 2 (-4dB)
Women in Blue (-4dB)
A Circus Wakes Up (+3dB)
American Thrift - Part 1 (-4dB)

These values make the volume levels similar to the other shorts that I have done that have source audio provided. For those, I usually adjust the riff volume so the max is -6dB and set the source at a level that goes well with the riff (usually around -8dB).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:21:01 AM by eegah »