Author Topic: Alice the only thing close to a likable character?  (Read 16979 times)

Offline stansimpson

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 314
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
Re: Alice the only thing close to a likable character?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 06:06:58 AM »
She is one of the few who is - and normally I hate this word - proactive.

Although she did forget that there are other phones in Italy.  ;)
If All Movies Had Cell Phones

(Stupid College Humor... needs to start embedding)

Personally, when I watch a movie I never think how a cell phone could make things easier.  Usually I'm too wrapped up in the story (and maybe it comes from living the first 20 years of my life where cell phones and the internet weren't so prevalent).  But New Moon just might be the first time where even I picked up on this.  As the plane was flying overhead, my thoughts were literally, "Wait... this is the best way to get in touch with Edward?  By flying to Italy!?!"  I didn't even think about passports, customs, etc.  I figured that was probably the least efficient way to do things.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 06:40:43 AM »
What number was she supposed to call, exactly?  Edward had crushed his cell phone!  Was she just supposed to randomly call every phone in Italy hoping that somebody who happened to be standing next to Edward would pick up?  Believe me when I tell you I hate to defend any aspect of this horrid movie but the phone thing was the weakest point raised in a Rifftrax since they suggested the police would have been able to arrest the Paranormal Activity demon.

Or maybe it was suggested in the books that a call to the vampire royalty could have helped somehow.  I doubt it from watching the movie since they didn't seem to give a crap about anything but who knows since I've never read the books.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2010, 07:51:44 AM »
Well, where the hell were the other Cullens? Pretty sure they all carried cel phones and you'd think Alice could probably get a hold of one of them so they could let Edward know.

But of course, then there'd be no reason for Bella to hop on a plane and be in Italy in what seems like a matter of mere hours (even though it'd be a long ass flight from WA).

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2010, 08:27:15 AM »
What number was she supposed to call, exactly?  Edward had crushed his cell phone!  Was she just supposed to randomly call every phone in Italy hoping that somebody who happened to be standing next to Edward would pick up?  Believe me when I tell you I hate to defend any aspect of this horrid movie but the phone thing was the weakest point raised in a Rifftrax since they suggested the police would have been able to arrest the Paranormal Activity demon.

Yeah, I know. I just thought it was a funny riff.  :)
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline Lovye

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Always and Forever: Disembaudio Squadio
    • S2*
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2010, 08:57:37 AM »
Or maybe it was suggested in the books that a call to the vampire royalty could have helped somehow.  I doubt it from watching the movie since they didn't seem to give a crap about anything but who knows since I've never read the books.

No, that wasn't mentioned in the books.  The way the book explains things, the Voltouri wouldn't have done this...AND IF THERE'S ONE THING MEYERS IS KNOWN FOR IT'S CONTINUITY IN HER UNIVERSE!!!

Offline Lovye

• Magneto-cent Member
    • S2*
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2010, 08:59:18 AM »
Considering, in the film anyway, she didnt even know about that til AFTER that montage, I don't think that's true.

But, I mean, instinctually because you know, that character is known for her self-preserva....awwwwwwwww. :(

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 12:36:38 PM »
But of course, then there'd be no reason for Bella to hop on a plane and be in Italy in what seems like a matter of mere hours (even though it'd be a long ass flight from WA).

And of course she got a non-stop flight that didn't get stuck sitting on the runway for hours...nor did it have to wait in a holding pattern over the airport in Italy...  Amazing, huh?

They make the Cullens look so freaking rich all the time, why weren't they on a private charter?

Offline iv3rdawG

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 104
  • Mr. K. Dilkington
    • Controlled Obsession
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2010, 12:42:50 PM »
Why didn't Alice see that Bella was going to get a paper cut?
Controlled Obsession (My website - Movie, TV, Video Games)

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 12:49:02 PM »
Oooooo, good point!

By the way, while we're on the subject of Alice, how come her power and Jasper's power work on Bella but no other vampire powers seem to?  Not necessarily a continuity error, but they did make a big deal at the end of the movie that no vampire powers seem to work on her.

Well, where the hell were the other Cullens? Pretty sure they all carried cel phones and you'd think Alice could probably get a hold of one of them so they could let Edward know.

That's a fair point.  I didn't think about that.  She definitely could have tried that.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2010, 01:29:06 PM »
By the way, while we're on the subject of Alice, how come her power and Jasper's power work on Bella but no other vampire powers seem to?  Not necessarily a continuity error, but they did make a big deal at the end of the movie that no vampire powers seem to work on her.

BTW, do the three (minus one) bad vampires have special powers?  Nothing is ever said about things you have to watch for from them other than they're out there stalking Bella....

And also Bella accuses Jacob and friends of "killing people".  There's those two vampires who had killed Buttcrack Santa still out there - wasn't it them who killed these people?   It's just that the townspeople happened to notice these wolves around the same time and 2+2 made 5.  Shouldn't Bella know better?

Offline stansimpson

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 314
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2010, 01:54:48 PM »
I wondered that too.  In fact, I got lost watching for awhile because I got so confused trying to reconcile those two ideas.  Once I realized that everybody but Alice couldn't do their superpower thing to her, I assumed Meyer (that's the author right?) had just written herself into a corner.  So I was like, "Oh I see... this is gonna be a big reveal in the sequels where Bella turns out to be a Merivingian or something.... no wait... Alice... nevermind."

Offline Lovye

• Magneto-cent Member
    • S2*
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2010, 02:03:22 PM »

I think there's one in the last book whose powers also work on Bella; I think she has the power to make people see nature or something in one's mind....I know Bella's daughter liked this vampire....

GAH!!!! >_<

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2010, 02:28:38 PM »
She is one of the few who is - and normally I hate this word - proactive.

Although she did forget that there are other phones in Italy.  ;)
If All Movies Had Cell Phones

(Stupid College Humor... needs to start embedding)

Personally, when I watch a movie I never think how a cell phone could make things easier.  Usually I'm too wrapped up in the story (and maybe it comes from living the first 20 years of my life where cell phones and the internet weren't so prevalent).  But New Moon just might be the first time where even I picked up on this.  As the plane was flying overhead, my thoughts were literally, "Wait... this is the best way to get in touch with Edward?  By flying to Italy!?!"  I didn't even think about passports, customs, etc.  I figured that was probably the least efficient way to do things.

I've noticed most soap operas have solved this problem - cell phones never work in that world.  If there's an emergency it's now guaranteed that there's either no signal, a crappy signal so that people only hear enough to get the wrong idea 100% of the time or the batteries are dead.

Guess it balances out the miracle cell phones on "24".   ;)

Offline Lovye

• Magneto-cent Member
    • S2*
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »

Dammit! 

http://cleolinda.livejournal.com/630806.html

Spoilers in that if anybody cares.  I don't know if we do ever see anything work on Bella from not her own bloodline save for Alice & Jasper's abilities.

Forgive me for wanting something in this series to make sense. :(

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2010, 04:39:06 PM »
Alice's power working in the first film would make sense because Alice's is not intrusive on Bella, mind or body.

Jasper now having an effect on her screws that up.

I think she has the power to make people see nature or something in one's mind....

How oddly specific...not just illusions but specific illusions only.  Morbid curiosity makes me ask....and this helps this vampire how?